U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:51 AM

7,846 posts, read 10,248,493 times

Advertisements

No, you cannot use a paper transfer from the bus to the subway. Next time you're in the subway, throw a few bucks on your metrocard. It doesn't take but 2 minutes to do and will save you an extra $2.25. One time I knew I didn't have enough on my card to pay full fare on the bus but I knew exactly how much was on it so I paid coin first then dipped my metrocard so I wouldn't lose the transfer. The bus driver got all pissy about it and said I was supposed to use my card FIRST then pay with coin. Right-that way I could give MTA another fare when I got down to the subway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 11:55 AM

20,129 posts, read 26,407,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
No, you cannot use a paper transfer from the bus to the subway. Next time you're in the subway, throw a few bucks on your metrocard. It doesn't take but 2 minutes to do and will save you an extra $2.25. One time I knew I didn't have enough on my card to pay full fare on the bus but I knew exactly how much was on it so I paid coin first then dipped my metrocard so I wouldn't lose the transfer. The bus driver got all pissy about it and said I was supposed to use my card FIRST then pay with coin. Right-that way I could give MTA another fare when I got down to the subway.

So, are you saying that you can combine coin AND Metrocard to make up the $2.25 bus fare? And if done in the right order you can get the transfer.
Spooky! You are one wily coyote.

I didn't know there were so many ins and outs. That would take care of those partial ride cards...with the $1.18 on them.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
So, are you saying that you can combine coin AND Metrocard to make up the $2.25 bus fare? And if done in the right order you can get the transfer.
Spooky! You are one wily coyote.

I didn't know there were so many ins and outs. That would take care of those partial ride cards...with the $1.18 on them.
Yes, you can combine both. It had happened to me once before but the 1st time I didn't know how much exactly was left on the card, only that I was short the full fare. I then realized, hey, now I don't get my transfer and will have to pay again for the subway. My investigative skills came in handy . The bus driver said I'm supposed to do it the other way around. She must have stock in MTA and was worried about someone not paying another $2.25 lol. Years ago you got a free fare added to your card as a "bonus" if you put $10 or more on your card. Now you get a percentage and there's always an odd amount left over. That's how they get you because I don't think the machines in the subway and on the buses accept pennies. I also tried adding an odd amount so I would have an even amount left on my card and the machine wouldn't accept it even though I was paying with an ATM card. I wanted to add like $2.27 or something and it would let me. Shenanigans, I tell ya.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:59 PM

1,031 posts, read 990,984 times
I wish the MTA would join the 21st century and have a site online to refill your MetroCard. I don't take the subway often at all, mostly the express bus to/from the Bronx. Once the funds on my card run out, I'm that person using coins, because the only way for me to fill my card is to go into a subway station.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:57 PM

973 posts, read 1,403,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
I wish the MTA would join the 21st century and have a site online to refill your MetroCard. I don't take the subway often at all, mostly the express bus to/from the Bronx. Once the funds on my card run out, I'm that person using coins, because the only way for me to fill my card is to go into a subway station.
PayXpress - but that requires that you always have at least $20 on the card.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:59 PM

12,120 posts, read 27,524,856 times
is payexpress online?

Old 04-18-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
PayXpress - but that requires that you always have at least $20 on the card.

Yes, I believe it's like the EZ-Pass. You need a debit or credit card and it automatically replenishes when the card is below $20. I haven't done it because for some reason, I just don't trust MTA. I've had double fares taken from my metrocards. I've had cards that suddenly stopped working so I can imagine them replenishing a card that the card reader can't read.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
is payexpress online?
Yep:

mta.info | EasyPay MetroCard

Old 04-19-2012, 01:09 AM

1,031 posts, read 990,984 times
I don't want anything that "automatically" replenishes - I don't trust the city for a second when it comes to that. I just don't get why I can't go to the MTA website, put in the # on the back of my existing MetroCard, and refill it. Why isn't there an app for that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City