U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 06:51 PM

3 posts, read 3,462 times

Advertisements

I am going to be in NYC for an 8 week summer internship. While I am there I want to see as much stuff as possible. I've already been to the traditional tourist places (Statue of Liberty, Wall St, Ground Zero, Times Square, Empire State Building, Top of the Rock, Central Park, etc.). If anyone has a plan or any advice to see as much as possible in 8 weeks over the summer your advice would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 09:07 PM

241 posts, read 507,371 times
you should explore the city. Because you'd want to see if it's a city you'd want to live in. So check out neighborhoods and stuff. Look at rents, etc. Figure out where you'd want to live if you come back. So, make sure you check out the boroughs as well.

I assume that's what you're referencing. If you're asking how you can have fun in NYC, 8 weeks is plenty of time. But in my opinion, you should spend the time trying to secure the job. In today's job market, that should be your first priority. After you are here full-time, you'd have plenty of time to play in NYC.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:56 PM

I have another year of school left after my internship and idk if I will be returning to NYC to live/work. I want to see as much history and different places in all 5 boroughs as possible.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:20 PM

10,612 posts, read 20,745,224 times
Check out some old threads here on the same topic. Some of the details might be a bit outdated, but the ideas should be solid.

Things to do in NY that arent 'touristy'
Non Tourist Destinations
Off the Beaten Path

Old 04-18-2012, 05:43 AM

20,144 posts, read 26,435,766 times
The Metropolitan Museum of Art! (numero uno.)

MOMA (Museum of Modern Art)

Brooklyn Botanic Garden...New York Botannical Garden (Bronx) Conservatory Garden (Central Park...101's and Fifth Ave.)

Bronx Zoo.

Stroll the art galleries of Chelsea...all for free,

Riis Park

Coney Island

Chinatown

Lincoln Center (preferably see a performance.)

Carnegie Hall (same)

A Broadway Show (get TKTS for half price.)

A couple OFF-Broadway shows (Find someone who belongs to TDF or one of the discount clubs.)

Old 04-18-2012, 08:15 AM

Thanks guys!

Old 04-18-2012, 08:42 AM

10,612 posts, read 20,745,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
The Metropolitan Museum of Art! (numero uno.)

MOMA (Museum of Modern Art)

Brooklyn Botanic Garden...New York Botannical Garden (Bronx) Conservatory Garden (Central Park...101's and Fifth Ave.)

Bronx Zoo.

Stroll the art galleries of Chelsea...all for free,

Riis Park

Coney Island

Chinatown

Lincoln Center (preferably see a performance.)

Carnegie Hall (same)

A Broadway Show (get TKTS for half price.)

A couple OFF-Broadway shows (Find someone who belongs to TDF or one of the discount clubs.)
I still have never been to the Bronx Botanical Garden. It's been on my list for so long.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:56 AM

2,898 posts, read 4,932,400 times
Rent a bike for the day by the South ferry, and take the bicycle path next to the west-side highway. Go all the way to the George Washington Brigde (+10 mi.) and you have the energy to do so, make it across, you'll get great views of the city and the whole trip is very scenic.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:22 PM

20,144 posts, read 26,435,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Rent a bike for the day by the South ferry, and take the bicycle path next to the west-side highway. Go all the way to the George Washington Brigde (+10 mi.) and you have the energy to do so, make it across, you'll get great views of the city and the whole trip is very scenic.

If you are at South Ferry, go to GOVERNORS' Island on a FREE ferry and get a bike for 2 hours for FREE (unbelievable isn't it) and circle the beautiful historic island a couple times, return the bike, ride back to Manhattan for free (check the sights in the harbor) and head to Chinatown for lunch...not free, but cheap. If you have enrgy left, before the lunch hop on the Staten Island Ferry (also free) and ride it past the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island to Staten Island and then come back for FREE. Note the lovely Verrazano Narrows bridge.

And THEN go have "Linner."

Old 04-18-2012, 12:27 PM

2,898 posts, read 4,932,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
If you are at South Ferry, go to GOVERNORS' Island on a FREE ferry and get a bike for 2 hours for FREE and circle the beautiful historic island a couple times, return the bike, ride back to Manhattan for free (check the sights in the harbor) and head to Chinatown for lunch...not free, but cheap. If you have enrgy left, before the lunch hop on the Staten Island Ferry (also free) and ride it past the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island to Ataten Island and then come back for FREE.

And THEN go have "Linner."

I circle Governors island in 5 mins. tops. But I agree it's worth the visit considering the price tag
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City