U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 11:23 AM

54 posts, read 92,491 times

Advertisements

I agree that meeting women in NY is harder than in other big cities, but it's probably because there are so many low-lives in NY that most women here are by nature skeptical and defensive. If you're not the best looking, forget about approaching or trying to meet women in places other than bars or clubs here. And even if you are a lot of them will treat you with caution. I see so many guys try to start a normal, innocent conversation with women on the train and 95% of the time they get blown off within a few minutes.

The best thing to do is go out in large groups and mingle with other groups. You won't have to deal with the defensive barrier that seems to exist between people in NYC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 11:26 AM

91 posts, read 131,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4 fan View Post
I know that. That doesn't mean I partake in treating women like they aren't human beings (since you agreed with EastboundandDownChick's assumption that I do). I was merely making a point earlier that many women of all types of attractions usually go for the "hottest" guys. In hindsight, I shouldn't have used numbers as I was only trying to dispute this...

...since I don't look at women as numbers. BTW, I get rated by height all the time by women. Your point? Stop making it seem like women are so innocent while we're all bad guys.

In addition, if you've (or EBaDC) ever read any of my other posts, I've said a few times that I love various women, including those overweight. It takes very little for me to be physically attracted to a woman...even as little as just a nice smile.
I'm not saying women don't do that, where did I say that? But since these thread (and the many of its kind) is overwhelmingly men, I was just speaking from that perspective. Women can be just as shallow as men.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:28 AM

113 posts, read 181,926 times
I won't say all women are about the money ... but the sad fact is .. Many NYC women and women in this country period, are becoming more about the $$$ .. There are many nice down to earth ladies in NYC but there are Tons of Gold Diggers as well ..

But that's anywhere you go ... If you have money .. women will be 10 times more interested .. lol .. That's every city and every country .. lol

Old 05-21-2013, 04:43 PM

842 posts, read 879,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolas70degrees View Post
I'm not saying women don't do that, where did I say that? But since these thread (and the many of its kind) is overwhelmingly men, I was just speaking from that perspective. Women can be just as shallow as men.
I know you didn't. I was responding to luvnyc. She thinks we look at women as numbers.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:19 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,785,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
i believe you and eastboundchick misunderstood the meaning of "it's a numbers game". It's a numbers game as a man will be rejected several times before he finds a lady that will accept his advances. Hence, a man has to flirt/approach several ladies before he finds one that is willing to give him a chance. There is no rank or value involve.

Condoms can break with any type of woman so your comment about playing Russian roulette is mute.
I agree...it definitely is a numbers game.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:43 PM

390 posts, read 1,050,761 times
2 big reasons:

Women have their wall up and are defensive. This is due to living in a big city and the way it is structured. Add to that the number of guys trying to holler at them on the streets. A woman might get hit on 5 times on her way to work which only inflates her ego. Whereas in a place like LA, she doesn't get any. She just gets in her car and goes to work. So when she's at the club on weekends, she actually welcomes getting hit on.

It's the opposite of summer camp. Remember in summer camp you thought that cute girl was the most gorgeous thing in the world. But you go back into the real world and she drops a few points on the rating scale. Same deal here. You are compared to the millions of other guys in the nation's biggest city. Unlimited choices results in extreme pickyness. Women will always try to upgrade or wait for mr. perfect.

It's just a bad combo.

I have talked to countless dudes that left nyc for other places like chicago and LA and they all talk about how nice, approachable, and less bitchy the women are.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:25 AM

60 posts, read 72,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iblinked182times View Post
Women in NY are too closed into themselves.
Is it possible the women you are talking about are not from NY? They are totally different than a Native New Yorker. Advice. Listen for the accent. Im from NY and would rather date guys from NY.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:51 AM

14,876 posts, read 17,437,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
I agree...it definitely is a numbers game.
It sure is, it makes it more difficult since there is a sheer number of more single women than single guys, because men are limited here it actually makes women a bit more picky, instead of the opposite of being desperate. Overall women here are not hard to meet, it just hard to meet what you want, like or desire without being desperate or settling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaBoy View Post
2 big reasons:

Women have their wall up and are defensive. This is due to living in a big city and the way it is structured. Add to that the number of guys trying to holler at them on the streets. A woman might get hit on 5 times on her way to work which only inflates her ego. Whereas in a place like LA, she doesn't get any. She just gets in her car and goes to work. So when she's at the club on weekends, she actually welcomes getting hit on.

It's the opposite of summer camp. Remember in summer camp you thought that cute girl was the most gorgeous thing in the world. But you go back into the real world and she drops a few points on the rating scale. Same deal here. You are compared to the millions of other guys in the nation's biggest city. Unlimited choices results in extreme pickyness. Women will always try to upgrade or wait for mr. perfect.

It's just a bad combo.

I have talked to countless dudes that left nyc for other places like chicago and LA and they all talk about how nice, approachable, and less bitchy the women are.
I agree, one thing I would like to add is that there are more single women than single men in NYC, and women here have these firewalls up, inflated egos, nacrissim you name it. In other parts of America there are more men than women however in those parts of the country women don't have these invisible walls, much more approachable, hell sometimes women outside of NYC come and talk to you! But yes women here are always willing to upgrade, always have a man waiting in the winds due to friendzone or always talking to someone of interest, or maybe her friend will set her up. Women here will go from one breakup to the next guy probably within a span of a month. Women here don't stay single for too long unlike men here. Also lets not forget that women here use the term creep a lot, if your not attractive, fat or weird looking expect to be called this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dede21 View Post
Is it possible the women you are talking about are not from NY? They are totally different than a Native New Yorker. Advice. Listen for the accent. Im from NY and would rather date guys from NY.
From my experience NYC women tend to be more down to earth and knows what she wants in a man, hell she may not even have a care in the world on how much money you make just as long as you work, or even if her man has been locked up in prison for five years. Women here have fun supporting their man while he cheats behind their back and catches an STD and brings it home. Not good qualities for longevity in my book, the right reasons are the wrong reasons for most women here, but I'm not hating, its whatever makes them happy in the long run or short run. On the flipside, native NYC women tend to be highly stuckup and shallow, if your not cute or good looking you will have a tough time in much of your twenties finding an average chick from Upper Manhattan, Bronx or Brooklyn, but its best to steer clear of these women anyway. Even fat women here are shallow, as well as single moms with two kids. Transplant women are a bit different, I find them very approachable to talk to, for Transplant women tend to be careerist they care about your status as what job do you do, or if your in a career, where did you earn your degree and so forth. The only thing about Transplant women is that they are superficial and have high tendencies of Narcissism, self entitlements which they developed from a child living in the burbs going all the way into adulthood.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 07-10-2013 at 09:59 AM..

Old 07-10-2013, 10:06 AM

6,886 posts, read 7,834,375 times
Much as I hate to admit it ...

One reason many men go for younger women - well, most single women over 30 are single for a reason. Double that if the person has one or two bad marriages and/or a series of failed relationships at hand as well.

I have as close friends a few really terrific guys, focused on career building for some time and now feeling ready to meet someone. Unfortunately, the pickings are quite slim in their own age bracket, say 30 - 40.

Odd "independence" (translation: complete dependence on personal issues) problems are at the forefront.

In order to have a healthy relationship, you need to actually LIKE other people.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:50 AM

506 posts, read 840,576 times
@ people who think meeting women is hard in NY: have you had better luck in other cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City