U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 11:20 AM

21 posts, read 67,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
So when you say "utilities" you mean the cost of electricity. I will estimate $60-80 per month in months when you do not use air conditioning and $300/month to cool 700 square feet to a constant 70 degrees. Be warned though, this 70 degree requirement is TOUGH!

A lot depends on how much sunlight floods your apartment, whether you are under a roof, whether your neighbors keep their place cool, how often you are home during the heat of midday, and whether you can readily manage a window fan for evening ventilation when the temperature drops below 70, so you can turn the A/C off.

Come back in July and tell us what your June bill was.
Then what do you think keeping it at 75 would take? I'm still not very concerned about cost since I know I can handle it, but I just like having a good estimation before I get going. However, like I said, I pretty much can't stand higher than 75, so that would be my very high limit for temperature.

And yes, I guess I did just mean electricity then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 12:17 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,183,098 times
If you do not concern about cost and not looking for ways to save money, scrap the whole thread. Spend your own money and enjoy it. Why turn up to 75F if you know 70F is much more comfortable?

Old 04-20-2012, 12:19 PM

21 posts, read 67,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
If you do not concern about cost and not looking for ways to save money, scrap the whole thread. Spend your own money and enjoy it. Why turn up to 75F if you know 70F is much more comfortable?
Curiosity. The thread's not about saving money, it's about how much something will be. It's a value I'm interesting in knowing.

EDIT: Plus, just because I don't have to worry about the cost doesn't mean I want to spend wildly. If I can make a significant decrease by upping the temperature five degrees, I'll do it.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:09 AM

20,260 posts, read 26,640,444 times
indie,

Consider what I posted to be valid for something like 73 degrees and a bit cheaper for 75 degrees. Probably my $300 estimate for 70 degrees was too low.

Also the $60-80 in the Winter presumes you take great care to light with fluorecent lights and have a newer efficient, refrigerator.

But so much depends on particulars.

I kept thorough records for my last apartment in NJ where I paid my own electricity and for about 730 square feet my annualized monthly average was 352 Kwhr/month for 2009, higher in years before. I was EXTREMELY cautious about electricity use and had only a Northern exposure...NO SUN.
So, at NYC cost of electricity at $.29 that would come to $102.08. Naturally my Summer bills were more than twice the Winter bills and in Summer, all I asked for was about 75 degrees.

Highest use ever was 877 Kwhr one hot July and that would translate to NYC of $254.

But some of my neighbors were more profligate and had bills TWICE as high as mine.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:34 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,221,408 times
My decent sized 1 bedroom runs around $60 - $70 in the winter for electricty (it was as low as $58 this year), and up to a max of around $120 in the summer with the AC going. I spend a lot of time at work, but I also live with my girlfriend who is home most days.

Nothing too fancy running, just a desktop computer with 2 LCD monitors that is on for most of the day (if not all 24 hours), plus a laptop but I doubt its that much of a drain, along with a plasma TV and an Xbox.

It's usually quite warm in the apartment all winter long, so I very rarely use a space heater, which helps as well.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:40 PM

19 posts, read 31,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
I love these utility threads and posts, "what? My bill is only $60!"

Then the poster neglects to mention, which you commendably did, that they are NEVER home, and live a wholly meager less than middle class lifestyle (usage pattern)!

Btw, the likely reason your bill is the same is that the major factor is NOT apartment/home size, but LIFESTYLE.

Bigger apt, but I imagine that you still are never home! I also imagine that the new apt did not incent any additional electrical appliances, nor your usage pattern.

Why is it so many appear to apply their lifestyles toward everyone and seemed shocked other's are in such sharp contrast.

Imo, a $60 bill is impossibly low, to the point of someone exaggerating. Then I come to realize that working a 9 to 5 (plus) saves a LOT of home energy use. That many such low billers at most have some little laptop and likely no or a small TV. While I, in comparison have a 50 or 55 inch (can never remember) top of the line Plasma, plus all the standard assortment of connected boxes, dvr, blue ray, etc. Two server type PCs plus monitors, and MANY hardrives, a top of the line router with everything imaginable connected, sound system, barring one PC, all the above is on and working 24/7; in some cases only 16 hours. In addition, I've got more juice sucking stuff which gets occaisional, but additional use.

I don't keep track and we have an 'average pay' plan, which smooths out the bill over 12 months, but I doubt the average bill has been less than $200 per cycle, including a/c for roughly 4 months of the year to keep all the electronics and myself cool. Consumption during those months likely runs $300.

So, $60 makes me wonder if some of you are alive?!
The highest bill I've had in last 6 months was 35 dollars.

But then I'm at work all day, no air control and generally don't cook at home

Old 04-22-2012, 06:37 PM

242 posts, read 1,004,994 times
^^Same as above. My bill was $38 last month. It's possible to get it pretty low with energy star appliances. Edited to say I DO use my computer/flat screen tv at least 5-6 hours per day, and my refrigerator is probably from the early 90s by the looks of it lol.

only because I had it handy:

Last edited by knh39; 04-22-2012 at 06:51 PM..

Old 04-23-2012, 10:05 PM

39 posts, read 128,521 times
Wow, some of you have crazy high electric bills. I thought my $50/month electric bill was insane. (It was $10/month when I lived in PA)

Anyway, I have a 1 bedroom, no a/c, but I'm home all day (work from home) using two laptops at once and listening to the tv in the background. My TV is on probably 10+ hrs/day, mostly for the background noise.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:42 PM

106 posts, read 308,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knh39 View Post
^^Same as above. My bill was $38 last month. It's possible to get it pretty low with energy star appliances. Edited to say I DO use my computer/flat screen tv at least 5-6 hours per day, and my refrigerator is probably from the early 90s by the looks of it lol.

only because I had it handy:
Same. My bill last month was $35. Normally though in the winter it's slightly higher around $40-$50. It's possible to pull off depending if all your lights are CFL, if you have natural daylight when you're home to brighten your house, how often you're home, appliances, devices etc.

I have my tv on at night half the time during the week, but usually use a laptop nightly. I have a HVAC, but only turn it on when it's necessary...personally I do like my apartment warm, not a fan of the cold.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:05 AM

20,260 posts, read 26,640,444 times
Jeez,

I'm amazed that so many of you can exist with so little electricity. I thought I was parsimonious but I would imagine to get a $40 bill I'd have to be a corpse lying on the floor...in the dark...in Winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or