U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 05:18 PM

1,567 posts, read 2,693,158 times

Advertisements

ny is filthy, just not compared to the 80s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 06:36 PM

596 posts, read 1,380,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
That almost everyone makes a ton of money in NYC
That's actually not such a bad misconception to have lol And comparatively with the rest of the country it's true. I know that costs of living are way higher in NYC and it evens out eventually, but to somebody working 12 hours a day in the heat out in Tennessee or something who's bringing home 20k a year (which is a pretty large % of the population compared to New Yorkers), the guy who lives in Brooklyn and has a cooshy office job with nights and weekends off, or does a similar blue collar job and has all kinds of union benefits and protections, and spends more than that on rent alone is going to seem pretty well off.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:48 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,962,284 times
Im sorry, but Tokyo puts NYC to shame in cleanliness IMO. The smell was one of the things I didnt like about Manhattan. There was a stench of *something* everywhere, be it street vendor fumes or the *lovely* smell of urine and taxi exhaust...Oh! And Ode de la Sewer Fumes just completed the atmosphere.

My nose was glad to be home. :P

Old 04-19-2012, 12:58 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,302,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Im sorry, but Tokyo puts NYC to shame in cleanliness IMO. The smell was one of the things I didnt like about Manhattan. There was a stench of *something* everywhere, be it street vendor fumes or the *lovely* smell of urine and taxi exhaust...Oh! And Ode de la Sewer Fumes just completed the atmosphere.

My nose was glad to be home. :P

I love NYC smell
An honestly I don't usually smell urine... another complete exaggeration...
P.S. I am glad not to live in South Carolina

Old 04-19-2012, 06:47 AM

2,899 posts, read 8,311,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
The one that drives me nuts is that its just so hard to raise a family iin New York City. People are so amazed that we can do it. Well, as I posted on another thread, millions of people have done it, millions more will, most of the kids will turn out alright, and we wil all live to tell the tale. .
[/quote]

While I can agree with the basic sentiment of your post, you are over reaching in a few regards.

For example, "...kids will turn out alright...."

I beg to STRONGLY differ, and beyond basic safety/crime issues it is this difference that is at the heart of the issue of suburbs everywhere vs NYC.

A few questions:

1) how is it "alright" that the high school graduation rate is 50%?

Of that 50%, SEVENTY (70%) are UNPREPARED for college level work.

These facts represent absolute catastropic failure! Reason alone to NOT raise your children in NYC.

2) "Alright" is quite the subjective. What do you mean by "alright"? By what standard do you determine "alright"? I strongly suspect that what you and some may deem "alright" will not be alright for myself, nor a great many others.

3) this is the real kicker, from my specific point of view, did you choose to have children, choose to raise them in the city, go through all the effort and sacrafice JUST so that they turn out "alright"!!????

Is "alright" the aim and limkt of your aspiration for your children. Are you truly suggesting that everyone suffice and be satisfied with "alright"???

I am afraid that this "alright" attitude is at the heart of why people choose NOT to raise their families in the city, AND why people have a negative conception of family life in NYC.

Some things are, indeed, misconceptions, others, as above, are right on the money! For further example, with such a failed school system, it is amazing that parents in this city fight the efforts of the Mayor to make changes!

Btw, NYC kids drive cars just like suburban kids.

Oh, and I don't think people freak out at those who earn less, but rather, at those who so readily accept LESS, for themselves, and their children, and appear to have little comprehension of the foundations of success.

The 'freak out' is in having one's child exposed to such nonsense!

NYers, of which I am born and bred, need to get real, and stop justifying and excusing the real failures of this city.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:18 AM

8,016 posts, read 9,073,035 times
that new yorkers think they know everything.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:11 AM

297 posts, read 559,062 times
I have a homosexual friend that assumed he had to live either in Greenwich Village or Chelsea because "that's where all the gays are".

Old 04-19-2012, 08:19 AM

2,950 posts, read 1,935,369 times
NYers are liberals.
there are no middle class white neighborhoods in the city.
jews control the city
and every other other stereotype brought on by the recent tv shows and the transplants who live up to them.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:53 AM

4,137 posts, read 5,951,632 times
While I can agree with the basic sentiment of your post, you are over reaching in a few regards.

For example, "...kids will turn out alright...."

I beg to STRONGLY differ, and beyond basic safety/crime issues it is this difference that is at the heart of the issue of suburbs everywhere vs NYC.

A few questions:

1) how is it "alright" that the high school graduation rate is 50%?

Of that 50%, SEVENTY (70%) are UNPREPARED for college level work.

These facts represent absolute catastropic failure! Reason alone to NOT raise your children in NYC.

2) "Alright" is quite the subjective. What do you mean by "alright"? By what standard do you determine "alright"? I strongly suspect that what you and some may deem "alright" will not be alright for myself, nor a great many others.

3) this is the real kicker, from my specific point of view, did you choose to have children, choose to raise them in the city, go through all the effort and sacrafice JUST so that they turn out "alright"!!????

Is "alright" the aim and limkt of your aspiration for your children. Are you truly suggesting that everyone suffice and be satisfied with "alright"???

I am afraid that this "alright" attitude is at the heart of why people choose NOT to raise their families in the city, AND why people have a negative conception of family life in NYC.

Some things are, indeed, misconceptions, others, as above, are right on the money! For further example, with such a failed school system, it is amazing that parents in this city fight the efforts of the Mayor to make changes!

Btw, NYC kids drive cars just like suburban kids.

Oh, and I don't think people freak out at those who earn less, but rather, at those who so readily accept LESS, for themselves, and their children, and appear to have little comprehension of the foundations of success.

The 'freak out' is in having one's child exposed to such nonsense!

NYers, of which I am born and bred, need to get real, and stop justifying and excusing the real failures of this city.[/quote]

Those huge school failures are in large part due because people are POOR, not because they live in NYC. Go to a poor neighborhood equivalent to Brownsville or East Harlem or South Bronx in any city in the country and you'll find the same thing. Go to a poor neighborhood in any rural county in the south or on any Indian reservation and you will see the same massive eduational failures. I've never made any excuses for the NYC city schools, but even the best schools can't make parents rich. Its hard to raise kids anywhere when you're always broke and struggling.

But if you are a working to middle class family in NYC, yes you can rise a family here. I have. My friends have. And loads of people I dont even know have. Perhaps you should stop assuming that everyone in NYC is poor or lives in the PJs or is on welfare. Millions of us aren't, and we manage to do OK by our kids. And we aren't the wealthy ones on the Upper East Side or Forest Hills Gardens either. Open your eyes and see more than what may be just around you. You might be surprised.

And being 'alright' does not mean a lack of ambition. If that's what you think you sound as if you haven't been around very many kids in NYC or their parents. These families are full of ambition. The difference is that some know what to do to realize their goals and some, for whatever reasons don't. But many, even among the poor, don't start out just wanting to 'settle'.

Being alright means a kid that's happy, healthy, stable, and self-supporting. That's the basic job of any parent, no matter what color or class or whwere in the world you live. Anything extra is great, but all parents want this for their kids, and its not always easy to get it. We both know that there are a lot of very screwed up kids in the 'burbs, and a lot of dysfunctional rich families. That has nothing to do with where you live.

And yes, I've met many kids who've grown up here-- and not affluent ones either -- who've managed to become healthy, happy, stable, and self-supporting. Perhaps you jColtrane are even one of them. But believe it or not, there are many more.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:53 AM

511 posts, read 429,135 times
I am not a Native New Yorker but last year I finally made a trek over to see my friend in Brookly in October and was amazed at how beautiful it really was. The image I always got was that it was just hood, ghetto, everyone was shooting, prostitutes everywhere, and it was just a terrible place to go. Instead once I crossed the Manhattan Bridge I was greeted with Junior's Cheesecake, the Brooklyn Museum (didn't even know they had one), Botanical Gardens, the Brooklyn Library, and the very beautiful Eastern Parkway

I hate how when I do watch some of these real estate shows and they mention going into Brooklyn they act as if they are going into a war zone in Iraq or that it is so beneath them. There is nothing wrong with Brooklyn and they have absolutely beautiful areas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City