U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 09:16 PM

44 posts, read 69,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
'If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere'
LOL! I have to ask out of curiosity and as someone who doesn't live in NYC but hears that statement a lot: Why is it a misconception? I understand NYC is pretty expensive, but is it simply not that tough to live in compared to any other big city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 10:57 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,097,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
you can make an area in NYC with over 2.2 million people that voted for McCain. and those black and Hispanic parts are anything but liberal there democrat (and in these areas there is a difference).
just for the record many of those dark red areas aren't Hasidic that whole block of Red in the 45th, 41st, 42nd, and part of the 48th are Orthodox but not hasidic, ditto for KGH and FR. Howard Beach is mostly Italian, Brighton Beach is mostly Russian non Orthodox Jews. Dyker Heights is Italian

I bet you Romney will win the NYC non Manhattan White vote next time.

no wonder you think that Jews control the city you think everyone is Jewish.
I wasn't the one who said Jews control the city, that was someone else in the thread.

Anyway you're right. You looked at the map more carefully than I did. I glanced at it and Williamsburg and Borough Park jumped out at me.

I still don't understand what we're arguing about though. NYC usually goes about 80% Democratic in national elections, and to most Americans that means it's a liberal place. That's all I ever said. I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:12 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,934,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
I wasn't the one who said Jews control the city, that was someone else in the thread.

Anyway you're right. You looked at the map more carefully than I did. I glanced at it and Williamsburg and Borough Park jumped out at me.

I still don't understand what we're arguing about though. NYC usually goes about 80% Democratic in national elections, and to most Americans that means it's a liberal place. That's all I ever said. I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying.
sorry about that sometimes it's hard to remember who I'm responding to in a forum like this (I originally was going to post this the person who made the comment but I thought it fit better with your comment (which for some reason I thought was him))

because since every intelligent person agrees that Blacks are the most democratic demographic in the country and no one belives there the most liberal demographic in the country (please don't find me some small Indian tribe somewhere) so now you have to factor in that NYC Blacks and Hispanics both not liberal demographics are voting Democrat at rates that surpass liberal and when you account for the fact that half the city is either Black or Hispanic you come to that conclusion easly. there is no major urban city in the country where you can make a countignous area in the city over 1/4th the size of the city that voted for McCain besides NY.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:49 PM

4,911 posts, read 6,819,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
NYC voted in a registered republican as mayor. Does they mean we are overwhelmingly republican? Also, you guys realize that NY state as a whole consistently always votes democrat for presidential elections. So with the electoral college the way it exists, many many republicans, both city and state, don't bother to come out and vote being that new york state will inevitably go dem.
I think this gem went unnoticed.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:03 AM

596 posts, read 1,379,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Looking at how the city voted for one presidential race isn't the way to gauge whose republican or democrat but thank you for deciding the entire cities political stance based on one election... Again we are seeing the intelligence of posters in full display on these threads recently...
Generally I'd agree with you, but the 2008 election was probably the most polarized in the history of the country. It's pretty safe to make assumptions about areas based on 2008 data, but obviously the 2012 will be more accurate, although I suspect NYC will have a few more red zones with Romney.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:37 AM

2,898 posts, read 4,930,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
you do realize that NYC had a ED that went higher for McCain then anywhere in Virginia.

and in regards to Jews controlling the city I suppose you think that jews also control the world.
Regarding number 1 I posted a link showing that NYC as a whole votes overwhelmingly Democrat. Do you agree with that fact?
As for number #3 do your own research. It's not that hard. And I preemptively gonna ask you please not to use the anti-semitic card on me. I'm just calling it as I see it.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:47 AM

1. I already rebutted (the fact that NYC has the most McCain area in the entire country should impress that point on anyone with a at least a half a brain )
2. I don't need to do research I'm in the jewish community and know that most of the things the Jewish community wants in NY we don't get. if jews control the city how come the jewish community gets nothing it wants. honestly I can easily make the case the Jewish community is the least powerful community in the city.

Last edited by NY Jew; 04-20-2012 at 07:56 AM..

Old 04-20-2012, 07:51 AM

8,016 posts, read 9,065,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
Generally I'd agree with you, but the 2008 election was probably the most polarized in the history of the country. It's pretty safe to make assumptions about areas based on 2008 data, but obviously the 2012 will be more accurate, although I suspect NYC will have a few more red zones with Romney.

don't lie to yourself like that. it's not nice.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Regarding number 1 I posted a link showing that NYC as a whole votes overwhelmingly Democrat. Do you agree with that fact?
As for number #3 do your own research. It's not that hard. And I preemptively gonna ask you please not to use the anti-semitic card on me. I'm just calling it as I see it.
I have a question which city is more liberal Detroit or San Francisco?
Detroit voted 97% for Obama and San Francisco voted 84%

in short Obama McCain numbers by themselves with out context are worthless. you want to argue that Detroit is more liberal then SF?

Old 04-20-2012, 08:27 AM

8,016 posts, read 9,065,013 times
- that new yorkers talk too much.

- that new yorkers always want everyone
to hear what they say when they are only
talking to one person.

Last edited by 11KAP; 04-20-2012 at 08:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City