U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 04:41 PM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,648,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
Classrooms aren't segregated by talent anymore. Gifted, average and below average are all in the same classroom.

This unfortunately is true and it's a disgrace.

Even in the underfunded Brooklyn middle school my kids previously attended they had "gifted and talented" programs, separate class and homework. They also had additional lessons for those at the bottom end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 04:42 PM

7,846 posts, read 10,271,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Are you stating they are no adavanced or gifted programs in your "top 5" school district on LI?

Seems like a different problem.
Of course there are. What I'm saying is that gifted students are not lumped in one classroom. Those are separate programs that they attend.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:43 PM
bg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
LOL...I understand what you mean. I show no emotion or discuss my opinion of these tests with her. I support her in a positive way and reinforce importance of education and testing. We spent Spring break studying. She also came home with 4 study packets. After she completed them I reviewed them. But the students do stress over them because in school they are constantly reminded about how they need to perform on these tests. This year the test was longer though the timing didn't increase and the tests were bumped up a month. They were off for over a week and had to go into test mode. I'm not a hippie-damn the BoE man-kind of mother. My issue is not with tests at all.

Some schools in Westchester moved their spring break earlier because of the poor choice of test dates by NYS

Old 04-20-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
No they are not the only thing they look at, and I did not state that was so, but they certainly do not disregard them, your notion that they are of no consequence is simply not correct.

"For those who can choose a middle school" - For middle school, ANY NYC elementary student can chose to apply to a specific middle school, that choice is always there. Whether or not they'll get in is another matter.
According to the NYC DoE website:

Most districts have choice processes in which you must submit an application indicating your middle school preferences. A few districts have primarily zoned middle schools in which your middle school is determined by your home address.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:48 PM
bg7

Yes, but you CAN still chose to go to any middle school (and as long as they have spots left and you pass their criteria) - its just that in those districts which are still zoned you have a guaranteed spot at your local school.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:51 PM
bg7

Listen - I gotta go drill rote math into the kids for their pointless state Math tests next week. Have a good weekend!

Old 04-20-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Listen - I gotta go drill rote math into the kids for their pointless state Math tests next week. Have a good weekend!

LOL...good one

Old 04-20-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Yes, but you CAN still chose to go to any middle school (and as long as they have spots left and you pass their criteria) - its just that in those districts which are still zoned you have a guaranteed spot at your local school.
Grrrrr!!! I didn't say they couldn't!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City