U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 11:33 AM

136 posts, read 197,301 times

Advertisements

My kids are in elementary school, and they are in the middle of ELAs. So we come back after spring break, and they are faced with 3 days of test, then a few days off and then 3 more days of tests, and then a few weeks off and then more tests. Is this crazy or what for kids under 10? Also, allergies are in full bloom, poor kids in school are sneezing and wheezing up a storm, and they are sitting in these stuffy, no A/C rooms for hours taking standardized tests. Mind you, they have not learned a thing this year, just barely capable of bubbling in answers. This is so sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 12:25 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,713,783 times
This is how I know I'm getting old: when I was in school, New York City was credited with having the best public education system in the United States. Talk about an order-of-magnitude change!

Old 04-18-2012, 12:35 PM

7,846 posts, read 10,251,518 times
Same on LI. Kids were off over a week and had to start testing on Tuesday. The ELA's are 3 days and then they start again next week for 3 days of math. Personally, these tests are for school report cards. I don't think they attribute very much to the student's progress. I remember back when I was in elementary, JHS and HS, students were placed in classes according to their grades. I noticed now, at least on LI, that students are not separated by grades. Pretty much all students are mixed together and the gifted kids attend TAG programs. Not that I mind, because segrating based on intelligence may bring down other kids' self esteem. Any additional help or programs that kids need are based on reviews done by the school staff and are approved by the BoE. The kids score on his/her state exams aren't even included in those reviews.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:41 PM

4,133 posts, read 5,942,768 times
You're right to be peeved. The test-taking is now beyond ridiculous. Originally those tests were meant to help teachers pinpoint what kids' weaknesses in a subject were, so that they could help them. But now standardized tests have become the tool for evaluating teachers, closing schools, promoting kids, and making or breaking middle and high school admissions. The tests themselves are narrow and crowd out teaching on anything but math and english. And of course, the pressure to do well on these can make kids a nervous wreck along with their teachers, some of whom have been found to cheat by giving kids higher grades than the earned in order to cover their own behinds.

If there's any consolation its that this is NOT just a NYC problem. It's happening all across the country in every public school system.

Basta Ya

Old 04-18-2012, 02:10 PM

2,296 posts, read 4,512,244 times
Read this about testing for the limited gifted & talented KINDERGARTEN slots. The city has lots of talented kids but there aren't enough slots for them, and there are only a few entry points.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/14/ny...pagewanted=all

Old 04-19-2012, 07:04 AM

2,899 posts, read 8,304,910 times
I've got a question:

Didn't you all realize the public schools were sht, before you had kids?!

What was your plan?

Old 04-19-2012, 09:34 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,116,913 times
ELAs are statewide, not just NYC.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:50 AM

20,129 posts, read 26,416,255 times
I went to Catholic scools until college. This was MANY years ago. From First Grade on everyone was required to take a raft of diocesan wide examinations on EVERY subject in the curriculaum. The process took a week every Spring.

If you flunked you were not sent on to the next grade (or were asked to leave if hopelessly stupid.)

Old 04-20-2012, 08:16 AM

2,310 posts, read 4,813,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I went to Catholic scools until college. This was MANY years ago. From First Grade on everyone was required to take a raft of diocesan wide examinations on EVERY subject in the curriculaum. The process took a week every Spring.

If you flunked you were not sent on to the next grade (or were asked to leave if hopelessly stupid.)
Same here. I don't get how these tests are useless. They did have to learn the material they are being tested on, right?

Old 04-20-2012, 01:24 PM

136 posts, read 197,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Same here. I don't get how these tests are useless. They did have to learn the material they are being tested on, right?

They are useless because they kids are not being tested on the curriculum, instead the curriculum is based on the tests. Do you find standardized tests very thoughtful? These are not subject-matter based tests. They test to the lowest common denominator, which is what is now taught in our schools. All kids are clumped together regardless of their interests or abilities. For example, one of my kids loves, loves science and wants to spend more time doing it, but he is told that the school gets only 2 science classes per week in the spring because the rest of the time is dedicated to test prep. Test prep simply means that they do practice tests from booklets from prior years. Would you consider that learning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City