U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 05:30 PM

2,357 posts, read 3,340,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
ONe thing is media that is shown on TV such as Disney, Nickoldeon and et al characters speak with a neutrel American accent, lets not forget about News media aswell helps eliminate NYC accent. WHen youths turn into adults they dont speak with much New York City Accent.
This neutral American accent is called "Broadcast English" or "General American"

I thought my accent was pretty "general American" until my co worker, who humorously enough is from the Caribbean and has a heavy accent, pointed out that I say "aend" for the word "and" and other similar "an" words. I think it's more of a suburban NYC accent though...

Oh also, my friend who grew up in Queens, had a REALLY heavy accent when I first met her in college. She would say things like A-rab (Arab) and raa-deator (radiator). Interestingly, her accent has lessened considerably since she was out of NYC for college and grad school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 05:38 PM

7,846 posts, read 10,292,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
This neutral American accent is called "Broadcast English" or "General American"

I thought my accent was pretty "general American" until my co worker, who humorously enough is from the Caribbean and has a heavy accent, pointed out that I say "aend" for the word "and" and other similar "an" words. I think it's more of a suburban NYC accent though...

Oh also, my friend who grew up in Queens, had a REALLY heavy accent when I first met her in college. She would say things like A-rab (Arab) and raa-deator (radiator). Interestingly, her accent has lessened considerably since she was out of NYC for college and grad school.
For some odd reason, Archie Bunker just came to mind lol

Old 04-18-2012, 06:05 PM

2,646 posts, read 5,007,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
To this day, there are native New Yorkers, early 20s and up from what I've seen, that still have THE New York accent (doesn't matter from which borough), even if faint. Then there are some people who have spent their entire lives in one of the boroughs for whom it's difficult to tell they are from NY, unless they tell you.

However, I have seen it "thin out" a lot more in Westchester and in SW Connecticut, though it exists there too. I don't see it thinning much in North Jersey.

Mind you, it is my favorite of the US accents, but what separates who speaks with it and who doesn't, when someone is tri-state area NY born and bred?
False.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:10 PM

297 posts, read 560,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
There's nothing really worse than the overly dramatic whiny jew yorker accent. Now before a couple of you jump down my throat for being "insensitive" or some nonsense like that, I am not saying all jewish new yorkers. Not even most. Just some, and I am entitled to that opinion.
Living in Brooklyn has caused me to adopt your typical jew yorker accent. It's funny because I'm not jewish. Now here in Rochester when people hear me talk, they automatically assume I'm gonna file a complaint about something.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:50 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,829,826 times
I was born and lived in Brooklyn for 40 years. No one thinks I have an accent and people are usually pretty surprised I'm from NY. My husband, also born and raised in Brooklyn, sounds like one of the Bowery Boys. When we travel out of the country people don't understand how we can both be from the same place.

But if you **** me off you can definitely hear a Brooklyn accent.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:34 PM

10,760 posts, read 25,595,998 times
I'm from the UES, and many people cannot place me as being from New York, much less the city, when they hear me speak. Many not from the city do associate the prevalence of one type of New York accent as translating through neighborhoods, rather than recognizing the nuances of the New York accents.

Part of the reason for decline has been the trend toward more diverse neighborhoods, in terms of speech patters, where accents do not develop in isolated, homogeneous neighborhoods, as those that helped to foster the growth of some more distinctive New York accents.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-18-2012, 10:37 PM

2,593 posts, read 3,738,251 times
Most of the accents I believe came from heavily ethnic areas. (The Italian New York accent is different from the Puerto Rican New York accent, which is different from the Jewish New York accent, etc.)

I grew up in a racially diverse part of Brooklyn, so it might explain why most people think I come from elsewhere, because they don't detect a Brooklyn accent. Even my friends in Texas when I visited pointed out how I had no accent whatsoever and didn't even sound like I was from New York.

However **** me off, and you will hear it come out in full force!

Old 04-18-2012, 11:42 PM

106 posts, read 307,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Part of the reason for decline has been the trend toward more diverse neighborhoods, in terms of speech patters, where accents do not develop in isolated, homogeneous neighborhoods, as those that helped to foster the growth of some more distinctive New York accents.
Another reason for the decline is that people with traditionally strong NY accents as of recent have also been going to speech coaches to 'fix' the way they talk so their speech is more homogenized with the rest of America. I saw a documentary or on the news once of this Italian descendent NYer who wanted to rid of her strong accent because of - A) TV show Jersey shore gave almost all Italian Americans with this kind of accent a bad stereotype and B) She felt it would help her career opportunities because she felt A hindered B.

I guess if you were to relate, think of an Irish with a heavy and I mean heavy accent, that if you weren't Irish you couldn't hear a damn word he's saying. I've encountered one of those in my travels.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:07 AM

8,016 posts, read 9,097,304 times
everybody wants to sound like an american
anglo-saxon, instead of just being themselves.
I can't lie tho, sometimes that extreme "breukelen"
dutch-influenced accent sounds kind of country
to me, oddly enough.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:52 AM

8,615 posts, read 10,322,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Haha no he didn't bring it to mind. Hell I didn't even notice that he posted on the thread until I looked again. However I do see catching some crap from him about it though.
such a lovely person you are.

In fact I've heard people whine with no accent, I've heard them whine with regular NY accents, and I've heard people whine with yiddish inflected sing song accents, which I guess is what you are talking about. I've also read some peoples repetitive whines about various topics, which are annoying even when I don't hear them.

You might enjoy this book though

Amazon.com: Born To Kvetch: Yiddish Language and Culture in All Its Moods (9780312307417): Michael Wex: Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or