Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 01:21 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times

Advertisements

To this day, there are native New Yorkers, early 20s and up from what I've seen, that still have THE New York accent (doesn't matter from which borough), even if faint. Then there are some people who have spent their entire lives in one of the boroughs for whom it's difficult to tell they are from NY, unless they tell you.

However, I have seen it "thin out" a lot more in Westchester and in SW Connecticut, though it exists there too. I don't see it thinning much in North Jersey.

Mind you, it is my favorite of the US accents, but what separates who speaks with it and who doesn't, when someone is tri-state area NY born and bred?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 01:27 PM

555 posts, read 1,183,588 times
yes its sad 8-( i love the accent but it seems to be vanishing 8-(

Old 04-18-2012, 01:29 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,972 times
I don't know. I don't have a heavy or thick accent. Some people tell me I don't have much of an accent if one at all and I was born in the Bronx and my mother has a thick accent. So does my sister but my 2 younger brothers don't have one.

Not everyone picks up an accent. It's like going to the south and expecting everyone to have an accent, that isn't the case. Some people just have "regular American" accents.

Personally, some New York accents kind of annoy me. Just my two cents though, hahaha.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:30 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,293 times
This pretty much sums it up:

Many professional class New Yorkers from high socioeconomic backgrounds often speak with less conspicuous accents; in particular, many, though hardly all, use rhotic pronunciations instead of the non-rhotic pronunciations, while maintaining some less stigmatized features such as the low back chain shift and the short-A split (see below).
Similarly, the children of professional migrants from other parts of the U.S. usually do not have many, if any, New York dialect features, and as these two populations come to dominate the southern half of Manhattan and neighboring parts of Brooklyn, the dialect is in retreat in some of the more gentrified parts of the city. Many teens attending private prep schools are barely linguistically recognizable as New Yorkers except in their pronunciation of the broad A in "water" and other Northeast characteristics. Nevertheless, many New Yorkers, particularly from the middle and working class, maintain a clear New York accent.

New York dialect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-18-2012, 01:37 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,399,862 times
a lot of people moved and took
the accent with them.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:43 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,826,111 times
I was born and raised in SW CT and somehow ended up with the accent.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:46 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times
ONe thing is media that is shown on TV such as Disney, Nickoldeon and et al characters speak with a neutrel American accent, lets not forget about News media aswell helps eliminate NYC accent. WHen youths turn into adults they dont speak with much New York City Accent.

Another thing is migration. Many Non New Yorkers or Transplants moved to NYC straight from college, theres probably millions of them that are like this. THe Transplants speak Wasps, and very from region from Midwest, Southeast to West Coast. Also Transplants only congregate amongst other Transplants, they dominate the corportate private jobs of New York City. Also many New Yorkers also migrated to other parts of the Country. If you go to places like. LA, Las Vegas, Florida and Arizona you will run into countless numbers of New Yorkers who propbably still retain their NYC accent and project it onto the local population.

Third and last many New YOrkers including myself hide our New York City accent. I have a heavy Nuyorican accent due to growing up mostly around Puerto Ricans. As I finished college and on and been working around and for Transplants it became obvious to hide MY NYC accent for employment purposes.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:54 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times
I love the accent and hope it will not go away, and wish people felt they didn't need to hide it.

While a youngster, we took a transatlantic crossing to Europe and our next-door cabin neighbors were a family from Forest Hills, Queens. The father was a highly educated health professional and the kids were going to attend Catholic HSs in Queens. Their accent was pretty thick, and further assisted their humor...which most NYers seem to have.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:58 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
when ever I go to California, everyone says my accent screams Brooklyn NY.

Gotta love it !!!

Old 04-18-2012, 02:00 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
ONe thing is media that is shown on TV such as Disney, Nickoldeon and et al characters speak with a neutrel American accent, lets not forget about News media aswell helps eliminate NYC accent. WHen youths turn into adults they dont speak with much New York City Accent.

Another thing is migration. Many Non New Yorkers or Transplants moved to NYC straight from college, theres probably millions of them that are like this. THe Transplants speak Wasps, and very from region from Midwest, Southeast to West Coast. Also Transplants only congregate amongst other Transplants, they dominate the corportate private jobs of New York City. Also many New Yorkers also migrated to other parts of the Country. If you go to places like. LA, Las Vegas, Florida and Arizona you will run into countless numbers of New Yorkers who propbably still retain their NYC accent and project it onto the local population.

Third and last many New YOrkers including myself hide our New York City accent. I have a heavy Nuyorican accent due to growing up mostly around Puerto Ricans. As I finished college and on and been working around and for Transplants it became obvious to hide MY NYC accent for employment purposes.
My father
came to NY from philadelphia after college and after
fighting in the Pacific against the Imperial Japanse Navy
He was no WASP his mom wrote a fine Yiddish
He lived deep in ethnic brooklyn,not among "transplants"
and worked as a pharmacist
And retained something of Philadelphia in his accent
all his life
One reason
My NY accent was light, even before college

This stereotyping of "transplants"
Should stop
It is
Unworthy
Of NY, that great city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City