U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 03:54 PM

46,054 posts, read 28,265,302 times

Advertisements

Damn poor people, why can't they start being rich so we don't have to have subsidies to take care of the poor......the crap that gets said in this thread just makes me roll my eyes...good job guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 04:19 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,520,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Damn poor people, why can't they start being rich so we don't have to have subsidies to take care of the poor......the crap that gets said in this thread just makes me roll my eyes...good job guys.
I don't think you'd be too happy if the Jones' moved next door to you, started blasting their music, started having rowdy friends over from the other side of town, the smell of weed coming from their apartment, the eye sore to look at from a aesthetic standpoint as the whole neighborhood dresses in a clean cut manner while the Jones' dress like their still in the hood, cornrolls with tattoos on the inner forearm and neck. They stick out like a sore thumb among the other clean cut residents. I don't think you and the rest of residents would be too happy having neighbors like them.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:53 PM

2,296 posts, read 4,512,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
I don't think you'd be too happy if the Jones' moved next door to you, started blasting their music, started having rowdy friends over from the other side of town, the smell of weed coming from their apartment, the eye sore to look at from a aesthetic standpoint as the whole neighborhood dresses in a clean cut manner while the Jones' dress like their still in the hood, cornrolls with tattoos on the inner forearm and neck. They stick out like a sore thumb among the other clean cut residents. I don't think you and the rest of residents would be too happy having neighbors like them.
I also don't want young college-educated white adults roaming the streets of my neighborhood screaming at the top of their lungs, throwing up, and falling down drunk (yes, I have seen all of this on a typical Manhattan weekend night).

Years of partying with black professionals, we never behaved in the way I see people acting out today.

In many ways, all of these young people are exhibitionists. It's not always race, economics or education. Some people just act foolish.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:21 PM

19,136 posts, read 32,666,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I also don't want young college-educated white adults roaming the streets of my neighborhood screaming at the top of their lungs, throwing up, and falling down drunk (yes, I have seen all of this on a typical Manhattan weekend night).

Years of partying with black professionals, we never behaved in the way I see people acting out today.

In many ways, all of these young people are exhibitionists. It's not always race, economics or education. Some people just act foolish.
As much as I hate to say this, but in hilltopjay's defense, that type of crowd is almost non-existent in the Bronx. So he's not used to that. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't rent to a bunch of loud, partying frat boys. But let's get back on topic.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-22-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:

I agree with that comment. I wouldn't want to live next to white college kids either. The point is we ALL want a nice place to live without having to deal with the riff-raff. Race is not the issue...class is the issue. Is it so wrong to want to keep your neighborhood the same class? Is it wrong to want to preserve the desirability of your neighborhood? I personally don't think so. The complainers are on the outside looking in and wanting to get in. But people are not just going to roll over and allow you to infiltrate and corrupt their nice and quiet neighborhood.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:06 PM

2,296 posts, read 4,512,244 times
Quote:
I agree with that comment. I wouldn't want to live next to white college kids either. The point is we ALL want a nice place to live without having to deal with the riff-raff. Race is not the issue...class is the issue. Is it so wrong to want to keep your neighborhood the same class? Is it wrong to want to preserve the desirability of your neighborhood? I personally don't think so. The complainers are on the outside looking in and wanting to get in. But people are not just going to roll over and allow you to infiltrate and corrupt their nice and quiet neighborhood.
We agree that dealing with riff raft no matter what race is a pain. I live in a neighborhood where poor and middle class live side by side and there are no problems. They do not live in housing projects but they may be getting Section 8 vouchers. The point that I and others have tried to make is that boats rise with the tide. People who live among people of different socioeconomic classes benefit. Segregated (not by race, but by economics) housing projects don't work because the concentration of people breeds discontent, crime, low educational attainment, etc.

My advice to someone who is poor and struggling is to do all that you can to not move into a large housing project with nothing else around. There are some exceptions, like the LES, Chelsea, Fort Greene, Williamsburg, the housing over in Carroll gardens that have benefitted from positive changes to the surrounding areas but this is typically not the case in outer parts of Brooklyn and the outer boroughs.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
We agree that dealing with riff raft no matter what race is a pain. I live in a neighborhood where poor and middle class live side by side and there are no problems. They do not live in housing projects but they may be getting Section 8 vouchers. The point that I and others have tried to make is that boats rise with the tide. People who live among people of different socioeconomic classes benefit. Segregated (not by race, but by economics) housing projects don't work because the concentration of people breeds discontent, crime, low educational attainment, etc.

My advice to someone who is poor and struggling is to do all that you can to not move into a large housing project with nothing else around. There are some exceptions, like the LES, Chelsea, Fort Greene, Williamsburg, the housing over in Carroll gardens that have benefitted from positive changes to the surrounding areas but this is typically not the case in outer parts of Brooklyn and the outer boroughs.
Aside from the 80/20 program, what other options are available?

Old 04-22-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Aside from the 80/20 program, what other options are available?
I don't do the 80/20 program housing thing so I don't know the inner workings of how the program works. Does anyone know if the city audits the owner to confirm he is renting 20% to low income people? Just curious.

Last edited by hilltopjay; 04-22-2012 at 07:51 PM..

Old 04-22-2012, 07:34 PM

46,054 posts, read 28,265,302 times
Quote:
I hope you don't think all poor people are like that, the type of people you describe make up a small percentage of those that would be classified as poor....but then again, I could be wrong, I have seen you generalize people before.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I don't do the 80/20 program housing thing so I don't know the inner workings of how the program works. Does anyone know if the city audits the owner to confirm he is renting 20% to low income people? Just curious.
Some reading material if you're interested:

New York City Housing Development Corporation (NYCHDC)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or