U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 01:41 PM

509 posts, read 2,067,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ whatever. I'm not about to go
back and forth with butter heads.
That's probably for the best. I don't think you could form a coherent argument if you wanted to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 01:43 PM

8,016 posts, read 9,112,167 times
^ cool. good lookin' out on that.

spare me your blindness.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:44 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,871,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
It has to start at home, and schools are not the answner. Kids have to go to school already ready to learn and critically, have ingrained pro-social behavior. Teachers have to spend so much time on classroom managment that academics suffer. NYC used to have the very BEST public education system in the world prior to the 1960s; liberals set the downward course and today many NYC public school grads can't even pass a GED test.

Of course, people with poor education don't get ahead. So this contributes to further economic challenges and neighborhood decay. Between the two punch knockout of Dr. Spock and the Great Society, the Bronx went down as a sympton of increasing American decadence.
I am an educator, and in addition I work in many community programs, and I must reluctantly agree with this. I am reluctant because it contains such a negative prognosis, but I am aware enough to know that it is all-too-likely to come true.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
You are so right. Liberals and their well intended polices harmed more than helped the working class.
Liberals and conservatives are two sides of the same coin.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:49 PM

^rofl.....just sliced up that shallow theory .

Old 05-02-2012, 01:56 PM

1,397 posts, read 2,002,706 times
Quote:
^ no excuses. just facts that can help people realize in a logical way how
things got the way they are today.
nothing so drastic will change in 60
little years, so forget about us going back to your glorious past when we
have so much work to do for the future if people with your narrow state of
mind stay out of the way.
Yes, we all know about what happened and truly it was terrible. But other races also had states of oppression and persevered greatly after it. Before my little rant, I'm not saying all black and latinos contribute to this mindset, yet the majority does.

People love to mention what happened, or how it was, but fail to mention what's going ON NOW and how to improve for tomorrow. No one is stopping youth from going to school (FREE), no one is forcing them to drop out, no one is limiting their resources to read and educate themselves (FREE LIBRARY), IF they choose to do so. It's this mentality that makes the black/latino communities complacent and content with the way things are. You can not sit here and keep talking about how things were, no one can change that. Not me, you, or even the white guy just walking down the street.

Furthermore, after people talk about the way things were, they bring up the "but we don't have the money to. . ." or ". . . and the government won't help us. . ." Meanwhile, you have cable and the internet and you stand on lines for Jordan's? I won't accept the excuses, I can't and you shouldn't either. Look at the way some people carry themselves and how they think traveling in a gang will help them survive anymore than not being in one. Standing in front of corner stores day and night, etc. The list goes on and you know the story. So please, stop making excuses for people and stop blaming other races for the lack of aspiration in the black/latino communities.

It's been said before but it DOES start at home. You don't learn in school you learn at home. Even if you drop out you can still get a library card. How you talk and speak is sometimes a direct correlation with how you were raised (and I say sometimes because that can be broken).

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
If you're interested in learning more, check out this video

Reaching Black Boys Symposium - YouTube

I'll leave it at this so we don't stray off topic.
This video is really good so far, thanks for posting.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:04 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,536,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Yes, we all know about what happened and truly it was terrible. But other races also had states of oppression and persevered greatly after it. Before my little rant, I'm not saying all black and latinos contribute to this mindset, yet the majority does.

People love to mention what happened, or how it was, but fail to mention what's going ON NOW and how to improve for tomorrow. No one is stopping youth from going to school (FREE), no one is forcing them to drop out, no one is limiting their resources to read and educate themselves (FREE LIBRARY), IF they choose to do so. It's this mentality that makes the black/latino communities complacent and content with the way things are. You can not sit here and keep talking about how things were, no one can change that. Not me, you, or even the white guy just walking down the street.

Furthermore, after people talk about the way things were, they bring up the "but we don't have the money to. . ." or ". . . and the government won't help us. . ." Meanwhile, you have cable and the internet and you stand on lines for Jordan's? I won't accept the excuses, I can't and you shouldn't either. Look at the way some people carry themselves and how they think traveling in a gang will help them survive anymore than not being in one. Standing in front of corner stores day and night, etc. The list goes on and you know the story. So please, stop making excuses for people and stop blaming other races for the lack of aspiration in the black/latino communities.

It's been said before but it DOES start at home. You don't learn in school you learn at home. Even if you drop out you can still get a library card. How you talk and speak is sometimes a direct correlation with how you were raised (and I say sometimes because that can be broken).

This video is really good so far, thanks for posting.
Hey Kap...I hope you read the above post. Pretty much sums it up. Stop making excuses. Period!

Old 05-02-2012, 02:10 PM

^ Stop telling me what to do. The other guy made much more sense that some mean old turd, but I'm not making excuses for the road people I don't even know were born on. You just have to have some compassion for people who have circumstances you never found yourself in, and a lot of it is historic, because only a chosen few will make there way out of it, no matter how you try to sugarcoat everything. It's really ugly out there, ok? so while you say I am making excuses for them, you can go on complaining about them all day, instead of trying to find one shred of understanding about it. It's all psychological to me.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post

Completely agree. This has been my point so many times, not that we should DENY history, but that we need to find solutions NOW.

But this would entail accountability, and I think this is the problem for many.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
You just have to have some compassion for people who have circumstances you never found yourself in, and a lot of it is historic, because only a chosen few will make there way out of it, no matter how you try to sugarcoat everything.
You have no idea what circumstances anyone was born into, especially not here.

Nor do you seem to understand, in spite of your self-proclaimed excellent grasp of history, what sorts of circumstances you might have been born into. Dying of aids on the streets of a city in Zimbabwe ? Village in Congo ? Ghetto area in Baghdad ?

Perhaps some, given the enormous opportunity, relatively speaking, that exists in America, made better choices than you. Give it some thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or