U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2012, 04:44 PM

6,963 posts, read 5,446,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Sobro. Using your analogy, when I say displace the ghetto people aka the "roaches" I don't mean displace them to "next door" as you say, what I mean is displace them to the next town over or out of state where they are out of sight, out of mind from the community they ruined and got displaced from.

is.
Hilltop the "ghetto" types have no where to gho. As you full well know social supports systems are quite skimpy in mopst places outside of NYC.

Also there arent anopugh people to buy "luxury" condos or rent high priced units.; So unless you tend to the lower middle class and working poor, the true victims in all of this...you will be like those developers who now are trying to figure out what to do with their failed condo projects....begging the city to take them over. You know the 24 y/o who is living 3 to one bedroom grows up and tires of it and there is no guarantee that another young sucker will replace him.

At some point developers and property owners will ahve to come to the realization taht your average NYC household outside of Manhattan earns less than $60k so cannot afford more than $20k to house his family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 07:23 PM

2,296 posts, read 4,515,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Harlem is much safer than when you visited your grandmother there during the crack era. You probably felt safer because you knew everyone. As we know in Harlem and most urban communities, you have your strait life people and your street people, both speak to and acknowledge each other, but for the most part stay out of each others way. So if you live in the mix of things you know who is who and for the most part feel safe. You however have been removed from the mix for sometime and feel unsafe. I also feel this way after watching a video of a robbery in Queens or Long Island on the news and I have to visit that section right after. It may not be realistic for me to feel that way, and I am being influenced by the media.
My grandmother lived in Esplanade Gardens until the mid 70s so we're talking about before the crack era. Her church was on 132nd and Adam Clayton Powell and she would shop on 125th Street.

I am in Harlem at least once a month in these same areas and they do not feel safer to me today than they did then. Especially at night, in the summertime. Too many idle people roaming around, getting into trouble. Elderly people are much more vulnerable than younger people. I would be concerned if grandma was living there today, mainly because the respect and protection that the community gave older people then does not exist anymore.

I would be more comfortable below 125th street to 110th near Lenox.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I did my undergrad in the UK and encountered Uk born and/or raised black kids of C'bn descent. What struck me was the endless lament "white man this and white man that". My response was like that of people like hilltop etc that they were makng excuses. I just didnt see what relevance skin color had to do with success.

Their response was to remind me that I went thru an eucational system where almost all the teachers were people of color as were most people in top positions. A kid growing up[ in the UK gets constant reminders that there is something "wrong" to be black....that being black is a limiting factor and that the probability of success is limited. This being ESPECIALLY true of those from low income positions.

In contrast the kids from low income backgrounds who I went to schol with (one of the best schools in the Cbn which boasts many HIGHLY successful alumni in North America and the UK). While they might have been class issues race clearly wasnt a factor. It would have been stupid top say that " I am black so...." when the principal and most of the teachers were black as was the political leadership of the country. .And at least 50% of the professionals were black in a country where blacks are less than 50%.

I didnt know that blacks were "supposed" to be bad at maths until I heard it in the UK and the USA. Indeed the best mathematicians were blacks and this was a school which had many students of Chinese and Indian ancestry who wedre more oriented to the physical sciences and no better in the mathematical sciences.

In Guyana more than 50% of the engineers are BLACK despite being 40% of the population.

Any surprise therefore that most of the black kids doing quant based courses in the NYC educational system are born OUTSIDE the USA, or come from homes with middle class backgrounds with parents born in Africa or the Caribbean and able to shield their kids against the corosive damage of self hate taht impacts many black and hispanic kids....including those from poorer immigrant backgrounds...self hate being a notion that one cannot succeed.

A black or hispanic kid in NYCD sees far fewer models of success whoi look like him and, if poor, succeeds based on his/her strength and determination with strong support of the family. Its abattle to offset soicietal assumptions and then institutional barriers, such as the fact that people hire people who they know and given that whites know mainly whites, control most jobs then this is a barrier, even though no overt racism is intended. The stars will overcome this...those withy strong middle class backgrounds too. Tough for an average kid from the ghetto.
I am American (black) and have relatives who grew up, and went to school in the segregated south. Despite their DEEP poverty, they valued and craved education because it was the only escape. The brightest people went on to the segregated colleges in the south and became the doctors, lawyers, teachers, funeral parlor owners, ministers, etc., that comprised the black middle class. Those who were not college material often learned trades and were able to get jobs.

I say this to remind people that poor blacks have overcome some terrible situations. When all we had were ourselves to rely on, we thrived. The welfare state and employment discrimination against black males has destroyed us.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:56 PM

240 posts, read 495,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
How Did Low Income Neighborhoods Become Bad

Easy! Bad people started moving in!

Bad people usually come from bad families with bad financial resources and get bad jobs because they have a bad education, a bad attitude, bad social skills, a bad outlook on life and in all probability bad personal hygeine as well. Naturally, wherever such bad people tend to congregate in significant numbers will inevitably become bad itself.

And that's too bad.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:53 AM

2,503 posts, read 3,522,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyGuyOC View Post
Easy! Bad people started moving in!

Bad people usually come from bad families with bad financial resources and get bad jobs because they have a bad education, a bad attitude, bad social skills, a bad outlook on life and in all probability bad personal hygeine as well. Naturally, wherever such bad people tend to congregate in significant numbers will inevitably become bad itself.

And that's too bad.
Agree!

Old 05-04-2012, 06:41 AM

8,750 posts, read 15,562,759 times
Seems that too many people's memories only go back to 1960...I wonder why? Low income communities have been bad since the Irish fist swarmed into NYC in the late 1800s and "created" the first ghettos. Since that time, every large immigration of ethnics, Jews, Italians, etc have "grown up" in these bad low income neighborhoods.

So I guess if you say "bad people moved in"..it means Irish and everyone after them were "bad"..which would probably include 99% of the people reading these threads.

Last edited by SobroGuy; 05-04-2012 at 06:58 AM..

Old 05-04-2012, 06:55 AM

Am I the only woman on this thread?

Old 05-04-2012, 07:39 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,173,876 times
Is there any good low income neighborhood in NYC, past and present? I mean area with below average crime rate and above average schools.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
Is there any good low income neighborhood in NYC, past and present? I mean area with below average crime rate and above average schools.
Chinatown was mentioned earlier in the thread. But it has had its ups and downs with regard to crime. Gang activity has been prevalent down there over the years.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Seems that too many people's memories only go back to 1960...I wonder why? Low income communities have been bad since the Irish fist swarmed into NYC in the late 1800s and "created" the first ghettos. Since that time, every large immigration of ethnics, Jews, Italians, etc have "grown up" in these bad low income neighborhoods.

So I guess if you say "bad people moved in"..it means Irish and everyone after them were "bad"..which would probably include 99% of the people reading these threads.
No, just a few loud people who choose not to acknowledge.

Last edited by queensgrl; 05-04-2012 at 08:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or