U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 08:00 PM

5 posts, read 13,188 times

Advertisements

My gf and I are about to move to NY and know nothing about the city. From what we're getting online Brooklyn is a little cheaper than Harlem and Queens but maybe not as safe. I will be working in Manhattan and would like to ride the train or bus into town. Our budget is around 1000 and we don't really wanna go too far over that. Any suggestions for hoods in that range that are safe and affordable would be greatly appreciated. Oh and we have a 60 lb well behaved pit. Is this realistic? Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 09:13 PM

2,593 posts, read 3,731,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlionek View Post
My gf and I are about to move to NY and know nothing about the city. From what we're getting online Brooklyn is a little cheaper than Harlem and Queens but maybe not as safe. I will be working in Manhattan and would like to ride the train or bus into town. Our budget is around 1000 and we don't really wanna go too far over that. Any suggestions for hoods in that range that are safe and affordable would be greatly appreciated. Oh and we have a 60 lb well behaved pit. Is this realistic? Please help!
Unfortunately, not really.

My range is the same as yours. While safe and affordable do exist, you're not going to find anything for $1000 or under that is not more than an hour commute to Manhattan. The only way you might find a faster commute in that range is the Bronx, and there in terms of safety it's hit or miss depending on the block.

Brooklyn is the one of the most expensive boroughs right behind Manhattan, so you will be better off checking Queens, the Bronx, or dare I even say it, Staten Island or New Jersey.

Just be aware that you will have to put up with the long commute or be willing to pay more. Because the alternative is living in a crappy area that's cheap.

Last edited by Miss J 74; 04-18-2012 at 10:28 PM..

Old 04-18-2012, 09:16 PM

1,118 posts, read 1,908,164 times
You can't generalise Brooklyn at all, or really any borough for that matter. Parts of it, mainly the northwestern sections and Williamsburg, are more expensive and even safer than parts of Manhattan (particularly Harlem in the finance department, where there's a glut of cheap, modern apartments due to speculative overbuilding).

Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 PM

5 posts, read 13,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
You can't generalise Brooklyn at all, or really any borough for that matter. Parts of it, mainly the northwestern sections and Williamsburg, are more expensive and even safer than parts of Manhattan (particularly Harlem in the finance department, where there's a glut of cheap, modern apartments due to speculative overbuilding).
If we were to increase our budget to 1000-1500 what areas would you suggest to look at in Harlem? The commute should be relatively short from there right?

Old 04-18-2012, 10:48 PM

106 posts, read 307,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Unfortunately, not really.

My range is the same as yours. While safe and affordable do exist, you're not going to find anything for $1000 or under that is not more than an hour commute to Manhattan. The only way you might find a faster commute in that range is the Bronx, and there in terms of safety it's hit or miss depending on the block.

Brooklyn is the one of the most expensive boroughs right behind Manhattan, so you will be better off checking Queens, the Bronx, or dare I even say it, Staten Island or New Jersey.

Just be aware that you will have to put up with the long commute or be willing to pay more. Because the alternative is living in a crappy area that's cheap.
That's true. For $1k, you'd be lucky to find a studio apartment in a decent neighborhood, but still far nonetheless.

There is a HOWEVER. You could be one of the couples that live in a 2 bedroom apartment (sharing the same bedroom) with a 3rd person (with their own bedroom). Basically 3 tenants in a 2 bedroom apartment. On multiple occasions when I was looking for a roomie to take up a vacant bedroom, there would be couples that were ballsy enough to ask if I were OK with it. Which is silly because why would I want to live with 2 other people if I could just live with 1....but hey, maybe you and your gf could get lucky and try this route and live in a nice/close neighborhood to the city.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:30 AM

2,256 posts, read 5,908,493 times
I lived in a 425 sq ft studio apt in Weehawken off Blvd E. for $970 for 2 yrs. Had very fast access to the city because the buses ran so frequently there and I was right by the last stop before it went into the tunnel and to the Port Authority. That being said, you will have to pay $120 something for the monthly NJTransit bus pass and another $90+ for a monthly metro card if you don't work within walking distance to the Port Authority.

Just another option speaking from the Jersey side experience...good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City