U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the rent situation in NYC just part of a bubble or cycle, or is it permanent?
Yes, its a bubble that's bound to burst or drop significantly. 9 16.07%
Yes, but it will only drop in some places, or a little overall. 11 19.64%
No, they're here to stay and will only change very little. 19 33.93%
No, they can only get higher. 17 30.36%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 08:30 AM

2,503 posts, read 3,519,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc77 View Post
"So tell me...is your argument going to be: "If all the poor people leave NYC, who will flip burgers, who will be cashiers, who will shine your shoes, who will do the dirty jobs you would never do, etc.?

Guess what? No matter how you cut it, there will ALWAYS be someone willing to do all those jobs mentioned and more despite the minimal pay. I guarantee you that. Even if they have to commute 2 hours, I bet you people will still do it. So using that as an excuses is moot."
Maybe the jobs can go back to the teens and college students like when I was growing up.
Can you imagine a movie like Fast Times at Ridgemont high being filmed today? You couldnt do it becasue it be a fiction movie becasue there are no teens working those jobs now.[/quote]

Teens are ideal for those kinds of jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 10:31 AM

965 posts, read 2,105,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Ok, ummmmm.... you didn't answer my question but I understand why you couldn't answer it. Its a tough one.
Which question do I answer, who do I think I am? Am I the Mayor? Is my argument going to be who will flip the burgers? Yeah those were all real tough questions to answer.

My argument is this, forget about the people flipping burgers and all the extremely poor, or "the scum of the earth" as you call them. Lets talk about the people who make between say 35k to 55k, or the immigrants who come here to open up businesses and get a start. Those are some of the most productive people in the city and keep the city going, yet they struggle the most with cost of living issues.

While the upper class tends to be corralled into certain economic sectors, the working class not only diversifies the demographic but also the economy of the city, not to mention they are also important for tax revenues. You really expect these people to drive in 2 hours away to do those jobs, and not have incentives to move to other metropolitain areas, as they already are now? They are far more affected by this than the poor, in fact they are the ones who are leaving now. Most of the "scum" you refer to, tend to stay put because they have social nets while its mostly middle class people who get priced out. The point is, everyone plays a role, upper class, middle class and even the "scum of the earth"; they all play a role. You don't seem very analytical, yet you're quick to jump to conclusions.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:22 AM

3,333 posts, read 3,280,911 times
There was a small article recently in the WSJ about rising rents.
It quoted a senior exec at a REIT which owns residential apt buildings in NYC. He basically said that the vacancy rate is inching up a bit as a result of the rising rents but that's not a problem at all.

The vacancy rate in NYC is so low that landlords would rather have a higher vacancy rate with higher rents then the opposite.

With increasing urbanization, strong internal migration into NYC, and the willingness to split rental costs (roommates) there's just a constant upward pressure on rents.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:51 AM

8,016 posts, read 9,062,796 times
if people want to pay top dollar
to live like cats, that's there
problem. it does not make sense
to me tho.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:13 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,174,059 times
For all those people who say "if you don't like the high rents, move", do you know how much it costs to move?!

Old 05-09-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
For all those people who say "if you don't like the high rents, move", do you know how much it costs to move?!
And do you know how much it cost to stay? Pick your poison!

Old 05-11-2012, 11:18 AM

157 posts, read 347,486 times
Black population surges in East New York as it falls across the borough and city * - NY Daily News

Interesting article about why many people (blacks mainly) are moving to ENY and Brownsville.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGED View Post
Black population surges in East New York as it falls across the borough and city * - NY Daily News

Interesting article about why many people (blacks mainly) are moving to ENY and Brownsville.
The people in the article are right...they should move out of state or down south if NY is too expensive.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:04 PM

1,567 posts, read 2,690,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
There was a small article recently in the WSJ about rising rents.
It quoted a senior exec at a REIT which owns residential apt buildings in NYC. He basically said that the vacancy rate is inching up a bit as a result of the rising rents but that's not a problem at all.

The vacancy rate in NYC is so low that landlords would rather have a higher vacancy rate with higher rents then the opposite.

With increasing urbanization, strong internal migration into NYC, and the willingness to split rental costs (roommates) there's just a constant upward pressure on rents.

if people werent paying it,they wouldnt be getting it

Old 05-11-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
if people werent paying it,they wouldnt be getting it
Exactly!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or