U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 08:44 AM

155 posts, read 230,882 times

Advertisements

My fiancee and I may move back to NYC next month because I have a job offer for about 50,000 a year and she is a freelance writer who would make around 25,000 a year. We both work from home so commuting distance wouldn't matter at all. We are fine with a studio or a one-bedroom but we also have a cat. So with an overall income of 75,000 and zero debt (thank God), what are some good neighborhoods of LI or NYC that we could afford to live in. We would prefer to be near the water and good restaurants if at all possible. Thanks. By the way I am from Westbury and she is from Elmont. Although most of my family is now in Long Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 10:50 AM

3,039 posts, read 5,735,093 times
Years ago that salary would be pretty good for any number of areas but now that the COL has skyrocketed finding what you want and with your qualifications will be tough... Don't know too much about Long Island but the traditional decent affordable neighborhoods that come to mind are typically in Queens or the Bronx...

I know more about Queens so I could give you a list of neighborhoods to check out and you can decide for yourself which is best for you and your fiancee...

Ridgewood Queens, diverse population always has been a working class 1st or 2nd generation neighborhood and to this day remains... Strong Hispanic, European and Asian population and has a good mix of different ethnic restaurants along the avenues... Fresh Pond Rd. and Forest ave have good Italian, Polish, Japanese, and Greek restaurants... Never been to the few spanish restaurants they have around there... Woodward and Onderdonk have a good mix of Ecuadorian, Arab, and Thai food and if you want PM me and I could tell you the locations of some of these spots...

Seneca, Cypress St. Nich., Wyckoff, Myrtle and Metro have a good mix of different spanish foods mainly Dominican, Mexican, Ecuadorian, Puerto Rican, and Peruvian restaurants but there are other ethnic varieties sprinkled in on those avenues as well...

I am very familiar with this area since I've lived here for almost 20 years now...

Other areas to check out in Queens that would at least have the good restaurants part of what you're looking for would be

Jackson Heights, Queens
Woodside, Queens
Forest Hills, Queens (you would have to look harder for a cheap apartment there though because prices are a bit more expensive there though if you look hard it's doable)
Kew Gardens, Queens (not as expensive as Forest Hills but probably a little bit more pricey than the other three areas...

Old 04-19-2012, 11:27 AM

2,898 posts, read 4,932,400 times
If you both can work from home, you might as well live where your money will go furthest.

NYC is not one of those places.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
If you both can work from home, you might as well live where your money will go furthest.

NYC is not one of those places.
I think he is considering the move because now that the location isn't a problem he can move back to NYC...

Old 04-19-2012, 11:42 AM

144 posts, read 255,435 times
we live in red hook and it's very affordable and close to the water. it is not near transportation though, which shouldn't bother you too much if you're not commuting every day. it is definitely better if you have a car here though imo.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:15 PM

We do own one car but she will be using it. I have to be located in the tri-state area even though I will work from home. I go to NYC every few months and was born and raised nearby so I am very familiar with the city but not so much as a renter. Thank you for the advice, I was already thinking about Forest Hills. Would Astoria be doable on our budget or is anything we could afford really crappy?

Old 04-19-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcampo13 View Post
We do own one car but she will be using it. I have to be located in the tri-state area even though I will work from home. I go to NYC every few months and was born and raised nearby so I am very familiar with the city but not so much as a renter. Thank you for the advice, I was already thinking about Forest Hills. Would Astoria be doable on our budget or is anything we could afford really crappy?
I actually think Astoria is about the same in terms of affordability as Forest Hills... Not gonna be easy but it is definitely doable... Also, if you see rents that seem suspiciously cheap in Astoria, question them and do some research on the area of the apartment... More than likely, if it seems to good to be true, it usually is... And real estate agents are notorious for sending you into a questionable area right next to the projects but list it as somewhere else...

Old 04-19-2012, 12:36 PM

Maybe we should just do Long Island and avoid the higher rents in NYC. I know we could easily make it there.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:41 PM

Ultimately it's your decision... With your combined salary it's not really hard at all to find something within your budget, there are many people living in this city with far less but you just have to look for the deals as you would anywhere...

Old 04-19-2012, 12:51 PM

Yeah, thanks for the advice. We're gonna look in a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City