U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 05:28 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,361,484 times

Advertisements

I didn't owe that much, that is what I paid NYS/NYC in taxes total including what was deducted.

Zipcar doesn't pay for your tolls. They pay for your gas and for a portion of your insurance. If you drive to Jersey, there is no way around that whopper of a toll unless you drive really far North.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 07:08 PM

52,707 posts, read 75,602,776 times
Ironically, Upstate NY metro areas have an overall cost of living on par with metros in the South and Midwest, if not slightly more affordable in spite of tax rates. So, it depends even within NYS.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:18 AM

31 posts, read 56,028 times
The problem with NYC is that the only people who pay their fair share of taxes are the middle class in NYC. Commuters from NJ and CT work here, consume NYC resources, but don't pay taxes to NYC.

The poor don't pay any taxes and probably net money from the gov't in the form of tax credits, food stamps, subsidized housing, health care.

If you're single and make $50k or more, but less than what most people consider rich, you basically get it in the a**. NYC requires you to pay the same income tax rate as someone making $150k or $250k or $1 million plus. So basically, I don't make anything close to what Mayor Bloomberg earns, not as Mayor but from his private investments, but am stuck in the same tax bracket as him.

To further insult you, the feds whack you by exempting any income above $120k or so from Social Security tax. So anyone making above that $120k threshold pays a lower tax rate for Social Security than someone making $70k.

Don't forget, that millionaire pays the same sales tax, tolls, gas tax, driver's license renewal fee, registration on his Bentley, etc., as you.

Makes a lot of sense for the middle class to subsidize the poor AND rich, right?

Old 04-26-2012, 07:39 AM

20,162 posts, read 26,460,446 times
Quote:
. So basically, I don't make anything close to what Mayor Bloomberg earns, not as Mayor but from his private investments, but am stuck in the same tax bracket as him.

Rest assured you are in a MUCH higher marginal tax bracket than Michael Blumberg. Much of his wealth is capital gains taxes at preposterously low rates. His employment INCOME taxes (Social Security) largely stops at $110,000 income...he pays that for shoes.

It is very likely that Bloomberg's marginal income is taxed at less than 20%. Perhaps MUCH less.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:56 AM

3 posts, read 3,283 times
I hear ya...I just moved back after a few years in Alabama. Independent contractor selling devices to dermatologists. Drove from Albany to Rochester for a sales lead.....Whack, that will be $9.50...WHAT? Thats ONE WAY...so for me to drive on a less than perfect highway, with forced rest stops, outragoues food prices, and of course, $4.10 gas...I get the priviledge of paying $19 for the day drive....Can anyone logically justify this? I was born in NY (Upstate), and sometimes find it hard to be a fan, even with the Adirondaks, etc....

Old 04-26-2012, 08:07 AM

3 posts, read 3,283 times
Not sure what stats youre using, but I dont recall gas prices this high in Alabama and they arent due to NYS gas tax. Secondly, as an outside sales rep, I would travel hundreds of miles weekly. From Mobile to Birmingham, Pensacola, Atlanta. Not once, ever did I pay $19 to travel 4 hours and back like I did yesterday going from Albany to Rochester...Its criminal. On top of that you cant just jump off the highway and make a quick stop at the store of your choice (unless you want to get in line, pay, find a place, back in line, get your "ticket", and continue on one of the worst highways I've ever traveled)....Cant wait to hear the spin on this "Vampire State" money suck...

Old 04-26-2012, 09:34 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,643,254 times
"To further insult you, the feds whack you by exempting any income above $120k or so from Social Security tax. So anyone making above that $120k threshold pays a lower tax rate for Social Security than someone making $70k."

Thats because SS is an insurance, you need to pay into it to get it out, and how much you pay in determines how much you get paid out. The max payout caps the max you put in.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:29 AM

1,308 posts, read 2,915,864 times
I just paid about $3400.oo dollars this year in state taxs alone in state taxs plus not counting all the litte things that the city hits me for living there .But also in the same breath i can not get out there intill my girls kids is out of school because of the ex will not let her leave the state so i'm staying put for right now and bouncing back between Az and Nyc for my work

Old 04-26-2012, 03:41 PM

20,162 posts, read 26,460,446 times
Quote:
bouncing back between Az and Nyc for my work

Now THAT'S what I call a commute.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:16 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,915,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Now THAT'S what I call a commute.
I work three weeks saight then i'm home for a week in Nyc then back to Az for three weeks again .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City