Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 05:56 PM

364 posts, read 1,979,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
did you sign a lease?
no, we didn't. The day we were supposed to receive the apartment he didn't have the lease ready. So never signed a lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 06:18 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
you said the application fee included the broker's fee. while i don't know how the application fee works, i think you should be able to retrieve the broker's fee less $15. definitely call the atty general and ask them what you can do. is the brokers portion based on a percentage of the rent?

Old 09-16-2007, 11:14 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,883 times
Hmmm....this is why I've never thought Craigslist was a very good idea. Seems like there's lots of ripoff artists on there. And yes, some real estate agents can be very shady. But I think you have a good case. Going to see them again might be a waste of time and a lot of aggravation til you have some legal recourse to back you up as others have mentioned.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:41 AM

479 posts, read 879,451 times
Do you have anything in writing stating that the apt would be available on Sept.1 and what would occur if it wasn't available. Just re-read what you signed with said realtor. If there were no stipulations then threaten a lawsuit since the realtor "broke" the agreement by not presenting you with the apt. on said date.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:29 AM

314 posts, read 492,683 times
as for getting ripped of by a broker, RE agent, or whoever dealing w/property in this city, take a number. they are out of control here. however, i wouldn't take the $500 conversion. if you have that broker's name and place of business and a receipt (cancelled check will work) for your scratch, i would head down to small claims court. these people obviously suck. why not get a judgment against them? you might be able to wriggle some consequential damages, as well. i'd look into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: