U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 08:59 PM

2,296 posts, read 4,515,449 times

Advertisements

I think it was a huge transforming event that made parents become super-vigilant about where their kids are. Prior to that, kids would be all over the neighborhood, unsupervised, and parents never thought about it. After Etan Patz, you started seeing missing kids on milk cartons, the "it's 10 o'clock - do you know where your child is" public service announcements, and a general tone of fear.

I wonder if there really was a spike in child snatching or this event just heightened fear and awareness of the possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 10:49 PM

624 posts, read 1,287,247 times
Etan's parents still live in the same apartment. I think they never moved just in case he is alive and goes back to look for them. They want him to be able to find them. It's so sad.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:21 AM

20,158 posts, read 26,453,489 times
The FIRST time around the subject was nauseatingly milked to death for months and months AND MONTHS.
Dredging it all up again just so tabloids can fill their front pages is a crime against sanity.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:49 AM

51,311 posts, read 50,576,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I think it was a huge transforming event that made parents become super-vigilant about where their kids are. Prior to that, kids would be all over the neighborhood, unsupervised, and parents never thought about it. After Etan Patz, you started seeing missing kids on milk cartons, the "it's 10 o'clock - do you know where your child is" public service announcements, and a general tone of fear.

I wonder if there really was a spike in child snatching or this event just heightened fear and awareness of the possibility.
If I remember correctly, the Etan Patz case is also related to how we all heard about the Man-Boy Love Association. Didn't they once suspect that a boy featured in a MANBLA calendar was Etan Patz but he turned out not to be?

I also wonder if there was a spike in child-snatching or if this just heightened awareness. In the newspaper article I read yesterday, another mother was briefly interested. Her son disappeared in Iowa in 1983 while on his bike delivering newspapers. He has never been found.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:48 AM

4,891 posts, read 8,985,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
If I remember correctly, the Etan Patz case is also related to how we all heard about the Man-Boy Love Association... MANBLA ...
You mean ..North American Man Boy Love Association.

I don't understand how the web site is even allowed.
NAMNBLA.... see......now who says God doesn't make mistakes?
He messed up an entire group of people.
Sick pervs they all are.
Sick.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-22-2012 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: Please do not post objectionable links.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
Etan's parents still live in the same apartment. I think they never moved just in case he is alive and goes back to look for them. They want him to be able to find them. It's so sad.
This is the saddest statement about this case.
I wish I hadn't read your post. Can you imagine what his parents have gone thru--only to have this whole thing happen all over again?
I hope they are okay with this process---I hope it's closure they WANT.
I kinda thought they just sorta let it go and gave up hope. I dunno--if I were the father, I don't think I'd like this one bit. In the back [[and front]] of his head he's gotta know it's over...has been for years.

What a world we live in huh?

Old 04-23-2012, 05:09 AM

51,311 posts, read 50,576,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
You mean ..North American Man Boy Love Association.

I don't understand how the web site is even allowed.
NAMNBLA.... see......now who says God doesn't make mistakes?
He messed up an entire group of people.
Sick pervs they all are.
Sick.
Thank you. I thought my acronym didn't seem quite right, but I didn't really want to search for them. Ugh.

And I meant that the Iowa mother was INTERVIEWED.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:18 PM

Well.... I was wrong. The whole thing was a big waste of time.
......AND MONEY!

More waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or