U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 11:58 PM

334 posts, read 929,475 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised that nobody has posted about these new developments yet. I moved to NYC a few years after it happened, when Soho was not all cleaned up as it is now, but know people who were living in the area at the time and they all remember how huge the case was.

The Associated Press: NYC basement searched for boy who vanished in 1979

FBI agents search Manhattan apartment for remains of Etan Patz* - NY Daily News

F.B.I. Renews Search in Etan Patz Case in SoHo Basement - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 03:06 PM

4,891 posts, read 9,008,469 times
You know their gonna find his body there.
They wouldn't be spending all this time and money just because a cadaver dog barked.
I'll betcha the 'new information' they got came right out of the mouth of the old guy they are looking at now.
Either way, I don't see the point in this.
What about the family of the boy?
When do they get to move on?

Old 04-20-2012, 03:12 PM

1,746 posts, read 3,436,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
They wouldn't be spending all this time and money just because a cadaver dog barked.
I'll betcha the 'new information' they got came right out of the mouth of the old guy they are looking at now.
Either way, I don't see the point in this.
What about the family of the boy?
When do they get to move on?
That's the point I think. Even all these years later if the family at least has a body and some closure than its worth it. What would be even better is if they arrested the monster who committed this crime but that may be far fetched.

I'm glad murder cases never expire. Otherwise, all killers would have to worry about is hiding the body long enough before being off the hook.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:28 PM

3,676 posts, read 5,870,788 times
I remember this vividly. It is so heartbreaking. I hope the family gets the closure they need and the bastard that did it goes to prison for the rest of his/her life.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:44 PM

14 posts, read 70,152 times
Well, I wonder why they finally woke up after all these years and decided to search to the fullest extent

Old 04-20-2012, 08:46 PM

2,364 posts, read 3,344,792 times
Every case where a young child goes missing (or is murdered) is heartbreaking. My gripe is, and has always been, how the media will focus on one missing child case and not the countless others...

That being said, it would be great if they can solve this case after all this time.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:47 AM

51,568 posts, read 50,819,831 times
I read this morning that they are jackhammering and taking out chunks of the concrete from the basement floor and placing it in bins for lab analysis. At first I was thinking they were looking UNDER the basement floor for the body, but now it sounds as if they are thinking the remains were mixed in with the concrete.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:22 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,532,859 times
My heart goes out to the Patz family at this VERY difficult time, they have to relive it once again ... that nightmare of a day, and all the time after it took to just be able to sleep at night without tears on their pillow ....

This is the most unsettling, and saddest story .... I hope they find the body, and I hope they arrest the 2 men in interest right now. It's hard to believe it has taken 33 years ... While I'm not sure WHY they had to let the media know, and I'm not sure why there are crowds watching outside the building- as if it's some circus exhibit, I do know, it's so painfully alarming it's surfacing after all these years ....

He was such a small beautiful little boy - I will never understand the perverts that lurk and get off on harming someone so defenseless as well as a child who hasn't even reached puberty yet. They need stiffer penalties- I am in full support for life in prison to anyone that harms a minor in any way.

These type of animals can not be rehabilitated. It's a demented sickness that is always there ...

Old 04-21-2012, 08:17 PM

3,245 posts, read 4,182,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
We don't know, if they're going to find anything.
I wish that there would be no more reporting on this case, until they actually did find the body.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:38 PM

334 posts, read 929,475 times
I know what you mean bigjake54, there's something voyeuristic about the coverage that pulls me in but also makes me think that we don't need to know all of this. Something like reality TV but unfortunately it's much more serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or