U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 12:31 PM

106 posts, read 155,277 times
Default Would you ever share a studio with a roommate in NY?

So I've been reading up about some personal accounts of people who live in studios who have roommates. (Though more common among couples than real roommates) Paying a premium of $1k+ just to live in a nice neighborhood/close to the city/in Manhattan.

A studio is already pretty bad and the only real room that exists is the bathroom, while the kitchen + living/bedroom has no physical walls. I know I would go nuts even if I were to partition my living space with a screen/curtain. The living space is just too small. I currently know one person who's living in a studio and her bed is literally inches away from her kitchen/sink/fridge.

Maybe some people can pull this off, but I find this kind of maddening. It's not even a loft. Wouldn't it make more sense for most people to get a true 2 bedroom in the outer boroughs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 12:37 PM

6,361 posts, read 3,672,337 times
lol..that sounds like a jail.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:33 PM

1,354 posts, read 1,598,956 times
I guess if one had a particularly large studio it might be feasible to divide it up--not all studios are tiny.

An acquaintance of mine took a 450 square foot studio and somehow turned that into a two bedroom. I'd really like to see how he performed that magic trick but I've never seen the unit. My guess is that its quite illegal. I've talked to people in the most crowded of housing situations--families living in one large bedroom etc. It's hard out there.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:37 PM

1,363 posts, read 951,649 times
I did it for one summer during college. It was a sublet. It had a sleeping loft accessible by ladder and a futon in the living area, so there was some privacy. It was not as bad as you might think. My rent: $375.

If I hadn't known it was just for the summer, it would have been unbearable though.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:42 PM

106 posts, read 155,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I guess if one had a particularly large studio it might be feasible to divide it up--not all studios are tiny.
That's true too. I've seen studios the size of 1 bedrooms apts. Hmm well I guess if it's big enough, it might be doable. Though kind of reminds me of the living situation of someone renting out the living room of an apartment that has actual bedrooms.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:46 PM

4,527 posts, read 3,539,084 times
I could hardly share a 1 bedroom with my girl who I love and share a bed with.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:34 PM

3,242 posts, read 1,338,132 times
People do that but its hard bringing a bird back to your place with a dude sleeping there. There's worse conditions where a mass of people rent an apt but being a normal person in normal society, girls don't like when you share a room and have sex with them in it unless you're in college and rarely even then

Old 04-20-2012, 03:38 PM

596 posts, read 700,297 times
Not unless it was a wife/girlfriend, and even then a studio would just be too close of quarters for two people. I wouldn't do it.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:22 PM

7,064 posts, read 5,018,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
Not unless it was a wife/girlfriend, and even then a studio would just be too close of quarters for two people. I wouldn't do it.
Waaaaay to close for two people except maybe a couple, And it was short term .people need some personal space to themselves to de-stress. And with roommates especially many times being under pressure to get along sometimes as it is this would be a bad situation. The person would be right by you whenever you were both home.

People are not meant to live on top of each other this closely. We are not hamsters!

If it meant this for me, Or no home i would sling a pack over my back, grab some hooch and ride the rails under the stars.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:49 PM

7,064 posts, read 5,018,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarahNY View Post
I could share a one bedroom with someone sleeping in the living room and the other in the bedroom. But I don't think I could survive actually rooming with another person in a studio. Studios, especially in New York, are TINY!

Very tiny and cramped. But people make due, Esp when young and starting out to live by themselves, or in a bigger place with roommates where they at least have some privacy. I commend them on their efforts to be independent and work hard to build their lives. Esp because i am in an industry where i encounter many early 20 somethings in the workplace-many from out of town away from their families to navigate the world on their own.

Bottom line-A living situation should be safe, sanitary and have some privacy. We (Hopefully) build from their.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City