U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 03:17 PM

14 posts, read 39,973 times

Advertisements

How is the campus like? the people there? the teachers? the life? the location? your experiences?

Also, who long are math remedial classes?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 05:54 PM

317 posts, read 748,498 times
I have my Associates from BMCC. I loved going there and wish I could have stayed for my Bachelors. No college is without its issues, but the campus is modern and well-kept. Most of the professors really care about the students. I appreciated that I could do most of my registration online and they also had a good selection of totally online courses (since I started there with a full-time job, that made it convenient).

I had to take the remedial algebra class and aced it. If you focus and use the math lab, you can pass any remedial class, whether math or algebra. There are volunteer tutors to help also. I watched videos in the math lab and bought extra books to help me. The only problem with the remedial classes is that they're full of freshman new to the college experience who think it is the 13th grade; they talk loud in the back of the classroom and are generally disrespectful.

See, that is how it goes - when you are taking the pre-req courses, you are in class with idiot freshman and people who act ghetto just to be cool, making it difficult sometimes. But as you go along and start taking more advanced courses, it's a pleasure because the serious students want to learn, the idiots either dropped out or are still making up the classes they failed, and you can actually get ahead and learn a few things. Don't be afraid to be a geek.

I eventually wound up in Phi Theta Kappa and graduated with a 3.95 GPA. I got some scholarships there and the college even sent me to Europe, all my expenses covered, for a week-long program there. If you are willing to work hard, you will be recognized and rewarded. BMCC is a very, very good community college in a cool part of town. I highly recommend BMCC.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:35 PM

Sounds awsome..
Thanks I will be going there aug 27 : ]

Old 05-06-2012, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,362 times
I am going to be there August 27th as well!! Did you take your exams to enter?

Old 05-06-2012, 08:49 PM

@gorinanne
Yes I already took my exams in high school (now)
I passed reading and writting but unfortunately failed math which is why I asked for math remedial classes :/

Old 05-06-2012, 09:24 PM

8,485 posts, read 7,710,665 times
Bmcc is one of the better community colleges of the CUNY system Imo.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:28 AM

3 posts, read 4,804 times
can you get into BMCC without passing the test..?
which way is the easy way because im not good at testing..
help please..!!!!

Old 02-27-2013, 11:31 AM

i really need help i been applying for school they accepted me but the test is the problem...can i take the SAT n just not take the test the bmcc gives me....
i need help please...someone that been there and done it

Old 02-27-2013, 11:37 AM

Default hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorinanne View Post
I am going to be there August 27th as well!! Did you take your exams to enter?
i have a question how did u get in...was it easy or hard and be honest..i applied for bmcc but im just waiting now for my next step. im just worried about the test.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,586 times
I worked at BMCC for four years and generally enjoyed. Most of the professors cared very much for their students and went above and beyond to help them succeed. There's also a fantastic tutoring lab on the fifth floor which offers free services for students.

As mentioned above, there are many freshman students who are loud and obnoxious and don't understand that they aren't in high school anymore. However as you progress through your program they will get weeded out.

The main complain I would hear from students is that the administrative offices can be difficult to deal with (especially when dealing with issues such as loans and financial matters).

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City