U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 06:18 PM

33 posts, read 61,073 times

Advertisements

Please advice on how to handle a serious case:

My sister found out yesterday morning that her 13 year old daughter( My niece) did not go to school.Nor had she come back home.

She does not know where she is or who is she with.

The police was contacted yesterday but so far is been limited what they have done.They searched the surroundings with my brother in law but They say due to the circumstances and that they don't have a court order all they can do is call the list of numbers we gave them.

The girl is been updating her Facebook which the reason the police say they can not do much because apparently she is not considered disappeared.

She is been updating things like: she is ok, my girlfriends dad is very kind, i smoked weed this morning etc.

She once or twice did skip school in the past but nothing like this.

One of her daughters friend mother gave her daughters Facebook and password to my sister and that's how my sister is been following updates.

I understand the police position but also don't agree with as this is a Minor and we do not know if she is been used/manipulated by an adult.

Obviously somehow she is staying with an adult somehow and as an adult myself i would not allow any of my kids friends to stay over for that long without talking to their parents about it.

Please anybody with advice on how to handle this will be very appreciated, i hope we don't have to wait until Monday to get a court order while this teen is out there doing god knows what.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 07:29 PM

937 posts, read 3,019,534 times
If she is carrying a cell phone her parents can log onto their cell carrier online account to view the numbers she is calling or texting. The police department can also subpoena the cell carrier and get location information, it may not be the exact location, but at least you'll have an idea where her phone is being used.

If she is updating her FB from a computer than the police should be able to subpoena FB to get the IP address of the computer she is using as well as the location.

Hope you find her and that she is OK.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:14 PM

3,245 posts, read 4,179,053 times
Sadly, the police are overwhelmed with runaway & missing reports. I've sat at a teletype machine and read alert after alert coming across ALL DAY. Fortunately, almost invariably, every one ended with a cancellation within a few hours, due to a return home or the minor being located. Same with the searches: invariably the missing person was located (often with a friend of the opposite sex), or returned home.
Good luck. Nowadays, cellphones with GPS are of great assistance. Police can 'ping' phones for location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or