Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 08:17 PM

14 posts, read 78,907 times

Advertisements

When you place a book on hold on the nypl.org website, do you go to the counter and pick it up or is it on the shelf and you have to pick it up on your own?
Also, if its at the counter, how long do they put it on hold for you before its no longer on hold?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 09:54 PM

201 posts, read 387,391 times
It's on a shelf in a specially designated hold area (ask information at your branch if you don't know where that is) & you pick it up yourself. The holds are all arranged numerically - based on the last four digits of your card number. I believe if you don't pick up your item within a week, they take it back off the shelf & send it to the next person on the hold list (or back into general population if there aren't any other holds).

Old 04-20-2012, 10:27 PM

80 posts, read 306,963 times
The above poster is correct about the location of the book. Make sure the nypl.org website also says the book is "ready for pickup." If it says "in transit" it may be up to a week before it arrives at your branch. If the status is "ready soon," the book will probably be shelved that day for pickup, but not always. I just wait until it says ready for pickup before stopping in.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:53 PM

43,303 posts, read 43,990,517 times
As already mentioned you can pick it up on the shelf designated for books on hold as soon as the website says it is ready. The website should also tell you the exact date that library will hold the book for you. So you will know how many days you have in order to pick up the item. You can also check out your book by yourself at automated machine using your library card.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:34 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,845,576 times
The online reserve system works great...better than any library system I've ever seen.
One of the joys of living in NYC.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:50 AM

168 posts, read 347,731 times
More than once, I've gotten that "ready for pickup" notice and the book was nowhere to be found. I've gone back several times, still nothing. And the library employees could never track it down, either. One time I was told "just because you get the email that says it's ready for pickup, that doesn't necessarily mean it's ready for pickup... come back in a few days."

The branch across from the main library (Mid-Manhattan), on 40th and 5th, seems to be the worst offender, in my experience. I gave up on it.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:41 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,845,576 times
I pick up all my stuff now at the 96th Street Branch and used the Jefferson Market Branch when I lived in Jersey City. There was never a single case of a screw-up with either branch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City