U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 05:48 PM

11 posts, read 98,700 times

Advertisements

I am looking into buying a full size mattress and possibly a box spring. I'm on a major budget and found some good deals, but unfortunately don't have a van or transportation here to get the mattress to me. I'm a little confused with all of the moving and truck companies out there. Can anyone offer an affordable rate or can anyone give me advice on how to best transport a mattress from lower manhattan to a little south of Prospect Park in Brooklyn? I'm not looking to spend more on delivery/transportation than the cost of the mattress, so please don't respond with a $60/hour type service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 05:52 PM

4,911 posts, read 6,818,691 times
Rent a freakin u-haul van. And that said, for the love of god, be very careful with used mattresses and even discount places. Bedbugs are no joke.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:37 PM

1,810 posts, read 6,198,257 times
I was going to suggest to post this on Craigslist under labor gigs,
they just did that. You might find a 1 man with van service that would
do it for $40.00 flat rate(curb to curb service) but only during non rush hour time periods.

If you decide to go with U-Haul, good luck with that, haha.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:19 PM

19,084 posts, read 32,655,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey22 View Post
I am looking into buying a full size mattress and possibly a box spring. I'm on a major budget and found some good deals, but unfortunately don't have a van or transportation here to get the mattress to me. I'm a little confused with all of the moving and truck companies out there. Can anyone offer an affordable rate or can anyone give me advice on how to best transport a mattress from lower manhattan to a little south of Prospect Park in Brooklyn? I'm not looking to spend more on delivery/transportation than the cost of the mattress, so please don't respond with a $60/hour type service.
Where are you buying a mattress from that will not deliver to your address?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-22-2012, 01:49 PM

10,604 posts, read 20,730,171 times
Please be careful of the stores that offer refurbished mattresses -- or whatever they are calling them these days. I see these vans driving around Queens sometimes picking up mattresses from the trash. They are in the trash for a very good reason, I suspect. These low-life companies take the mattresses out of the trash and "refurbish" them (which could mean anything). The mattresses could be full of the same interior stains and possibly even bedbugs that they had when they were put in the trash. It's a disgusting practice and I feel ill every time I see one of those filthy vans.

Here's a picture http://farm1.static.flickr.com/231/4...b35bf52a3a.jpg

Even if the store doesn't tell you the mattress is used, it very well could be, especially if it's such a "good deal". The mattress business is full of scams and fraud. New York Mattress Company Faces Charges For Illegally Selling Used Mattresses In Connecticut | Connecticut Consumer Advocate Protector Watchdog | Ct Consumer Complaints |Ct consumer Protection | Ct Advocate | Ct Consumer

My personal opinion is that you should go to Ikea and get one of those super comfortable foam or latex mattresses (new) that roll up and would fit easily in someone's car -- though it would of course hang out the back of the car. All you would need is a friend with a car to get it, and Ikea is not too far from you in Brooklyn.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:14 AM

20,129 posts, read 26,407,309 times
I would just go to Macy's and let them deliver. Or one of those cheaper places like Sleepies or Mattres. And like Henna recommends, BUY NEW, especially with this current bedbug situation. A good mattress will last you 15 years so toss a little money at it. (Partner's Beautyrest is 30 years old and in fine condition...it was pricey though.)

A friend used a "man with a van" and then argued for weeks about whether the charge was to be $40 or $60 (heavy computer monitor.) The savings is not worth the hassle.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:58 AM

169 posts, read 271,089 times
I don't mean to threadjack, but I'm moving soon and have a memory foam mattress that I'll need to move. Someone suggested rolling it up, but this thing weighs like 100 lbs. Does anyone know how best to move one, or if there is a such thing as a huge "Space Bag" made specifically for this purpose?

Old 04-23-2012, 08:44 AM

20,129 posts, read 26,407,309 times
Big movers typically have matress boxes that they charge too much for. Smaller operations usually just lay the mattress on its side against other furniture. (I wouldnt try rolling it up.)

Old 04-23-2012, 09:41 AM

651 posts, read 1,520,570 times
I had a great foam mattress that I had to throw out due to bedbugs; so yes, be careful what you buy. I used Chinese Movers from Sunset Park Brooklyn when I moved. They were very good and inexpensive. Call for a quote, speak to Andy.

Chinese Movers - Sunset Park - Brooklyn, NY

But again, bedbugs will ruin your life!! It would be far cheaper to buy a new mattress than get rid of all your stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or