U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 02:26 AM

3 posts, read 16,356 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I was wondering if anyone could help me out here. I'm going to be doing a contract at westchester medical center in Valhalla. I've worked there before and lived in westchester county. However, this time around I'm interested in living on the upper west side and driving to work. I will be working 7pm to 730am. I am curious to find out how long a drive from the upper west side to westchester medical center would take at around 6pm? And then driving back in the morning around 7:30am. The only thing I'm interested in finding out is if the drive can be done in a reasonable time. I'm coming from LA and it took me anywhere from 25 minutes to an hour to go 6 miles to get to work and I'm not looking to spend 2 hours driving to get to work. I'll also mention, I'm only going to be doing this for 3 months and I only work 3 days a week. Just wanting to experience living in the city this time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 06:27 AM

20,134 posts, read 26,425,454 times
So you will be leaving the Upper West Side at around 6PM to get out of the City...this is, of course, NIGHTMARE material because you share the road with a GAZILLION people doing the same thing.
Everything will depend on how the traffic is moving and will change from day to day.

I recommend a dry run at rush hour.
I don't think you should think in terms of less than an hour one-way.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:37 AM

Thanks. I have a few options as far as where I'll actually live, I had planned to do a couple of test runs before I commit to anything.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:26 PM

Default Reverse commute NYC to Valhalla working the PM shift

Just in case anyone else has this question. I ended up living on the upper west side in the 70's not too far from the west side highway. Generally it takes anywhere from 25 minutes to an hour (average being 45 minutes) depending on the day of the week. Fridays are the worst and it's quicker sometimes to just go up riverside drive past the GW bridge and then jump on the west side highway. Overall, it's not horrible. Weekends are a breeze of course.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:07 AM

There is a guy named FROH who can open a special bridge for you that goes directly to Valhalla...it is made of a rainbow but you can drive over it.
Here's a picture:

You get quicker access if you are a Goddess.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:06 PM

9,316 posts, read 13,850,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
There is a guy named FROH who can open a special bridge for you that goes directly to Valhalla...it is made of a rainbow but you can drive over it.
Thought his name was Heimdal. Anyway, I tried to hire the guy to make me a Hudson bridge, but he said no way was he dealing with the NYC dept of licenses and inspections, so I think you'll still have to get out of the city to get to Valhalla...

Old 09-06-2012, 07:06 AM

I do the Wagnerian Version:
Quote:

At last, the gods prepare to enter their new home. Donner summons a thunderstorm to clear the air. After the storm has ended, Froh creates a rainbow bridge that stretches to the gate of the castle. Wotan leads them across the bridge to the castle, which he names Valhalla. Fricka asks him about the name, and he replies enigmatically that its meaning will become clear when his plans come to fruition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City