U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-25-2012, 05:31 PM
 
3,327 posts, read 3,504,408 times
Reputation: 2843

Advertisements

There is no discussion to be had here.

The folks benefiting from this will never admit that this is insanity. How can they? It's like asking the major financial institutions whether they should've been taken into receivership in 08-09 because they were insolvent. When the deal you're getting is too good to be true, how can one admit the truth?

Not only does RS screw landlords but it also screws other NY'ers. Why should I pay full price when some **** sucker is paying much less? Why? Because the government decided they're special?

 
Old 04-25-2012, 05:47 PM
 
38 posts, read 51,730 times
Reputation: 107
LOL

That's right. Mitt Romney pays 15% tax rates but poor people making 37k average are your enemy. Lol. People get the country they deserve.
 
Old 04-25-2012, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,528,523 times
Reputation: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
There is no discussion to be had here.

The folks benefiting from this will never admit that this is insanity. How can they? It's like asking the major financial institutions whether they should've been taken into receivership in 08-09 because they were insolvent. When the deal you're getting is too good to be true, how can one admit the truth?

Not only does RS screw landlords but it also screws other NY'ers. Why should I pay full price when some **** sucker is paying much less? Why? Because the government decided they're special?
Well no one is stopping you from living on the street and not paying rent to anyone, just think of how much money you would be saving then!!

Your argument might as well read, "why do they get to pay less and I have to pay market rate, yet the moment I get a RS apartment I am gonna stay there forever cause I love my cheap rent and great neighborhood!"

The whole "what about me?" statements never really go far. And I still haven't really seen anything that shows how RC and RS apartments mess up the market, I have heard hypothetical ideas, but nothing that has been real information yet.
 
Old 04-25-2012, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,528,523 times
Reputation: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by person900990 View Post
LOL

That's right. Mitt Romney pays 15% tax rates but poor people making 37k average are your enemy. Lol. People get the country they deserve.
Yeah, I love our cultural mindset of just attacking the poor when their is a problem because the wealthy worked hard to get where they are and I wish to one day be apart of that top percent living off most of the income made in this country, nothing can ever be their fault.
 
Old 04-25-2012, 06:18 PM
 
3,327 posts, read 3,504,408 times
Reputation: 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yeah, I love our cultural mindset of just attacking the poor when their is a problem because the wealthy worked hard to get where they are and I wish to one day be apart of that top percent living off most of the income made in this country, nothing can ever be their fault.
In reality the poor are just as much my enemy as Romney is. Who do you think vote these corrupt politicians in? The poor are much bigger consumers of our demented culture than the wealthy. The wealthy are about making money and acquiring power. I can respect that. What are the poor about in a consumer society? Consume, consume,consume, consume...that's it. Pigs at the trough who hand over the money they do have to the wealthy.

When it comes to our current situation, no socio-economic class is innocent.
 
Old 04-25-2012, 06:28 PM
 
3,327 posts, read 3,504,408 times
Reputation: 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well no one is stopping you from living on the street and not paying rent to anyone, just think of how much money you would be saving then!!

Your argument might as well read, "why do they get to pay less and I have to pay market rate, yet the moment I get a RS/ apartment I am gonna stay there forever cause I love my cheap rent and great neighborhood!"

The whole "what about me?" statements never really go far. And I still haven't really seen anything that shows how RC and RS apartments mess up the market, I have heard hypothetical ideas, but nothing that has been real information yet.
It's not about whether RS/RC increases non RS/RC rents across the city.
It's about the fundamental question of how can the government treat one group of people favorably over another with nothing more than arbitrary guidelines.

If you're for RC/RS then you can't be against taxpayer funded bailouts of private institutions, low tax rates of the wealthy, and just general corruption.

RS/RC is a perfect example of a government program which started out with good intentions but created unforeseen consequences down the line. How can one argue for RC/RS in our time is beyond me. I'd also love to live in the City paying 1k when others pay 2.5k. Guess what? I can't afford to so I don't. I don't have a right to live in a specific area. I'd love to drive a Ferrari but I can't afford one so I don't. Do any of you wish to subsidize me? I don't feel like driving a Honda or Chevy.

Last edited by wawaweewa; 04-25-2012 at 06:39 PM..
 
Old 04-25-2012, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,528,523 times
Reputation: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
In reality the poor are just as much my enemy as Romney is. Who do you think vote these corrupt politicians in? The poor are much bigger consumers of our demented culture than the wealthy. The wealthy are about making money and acquiring power. I can respect that. What are the poor about in a consumer society? Consume, consume,consume, consume...that's it. Pigs at the trough who hand over the money they do have to the wealthy.

When it comes to our current situation, no socio-economic class is innocent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
It's not about whether RS/RC increases non RS/RC rents across the city.
It's about the fundamental question of how can the government treat one group of people favorably over another with nothing more than arbitrary guidelines.

If you're for RC/RS then you can't be against taxpayer funded bailouts of private institutions, low tax rates of the wealthy, and just general corruption.

RS/RC is a perfect example of a government program which started out with good intentions but created unforeseen consequences down the line. How can one argue for RC/RS in our time is beyond me. I'd also love to live in the City paying 1k when others pay 2.5k. Guess what? I can't afford to so I don't. I don't have a right to live in a specific area. I'd love to drive a Ferrari but I can't afford one so I don't. Do any of you wish to subsidize me? I don't feel like driving a Honda or Chevy.
Your logic in all of this in mind boggling....so if I support programs for that are designed to help the poorer population in this country, then I have to be in support of programs that allow the wealthy to take advantage of our tax system in reducing how much they have to pay and that they have the ability to lobby for bailouts when their ideas fail them and create massive problems for the country without even having to deal with that consequence of the fail....yeah, that sound like such great logic you live by.

You sound like you are the perfect path of continually feeding the problems we have in this country, worship the rich and spit on the poor while the rich continue to enjoy taking advantage of you as you continue to consume, consume, consume yourself into debt and poverty.


We are a country, a collection of people of all different levels of wealth...you can agree with this right? With that, we must function as a country and as a collection of people making sure that there is a chance for anyone to prosper and enjoy the wealth of their success, but at the same time it is our duty (all of us, even the ones that whine and cry about their "individual needs") to make sure that ALL Americans are given the chance to have that same opportunity as well as being provided with basic needs (which means housing, healthcare, food, and education.) We still clear or are you having a problem with how a country should function cause we can go in much deeper detail if you need it?

The description that you have given makes no sense, because I support one thing that you consider corrupt, then I must support all corruption? I seriously don't see the poor as being a corruption power because the poor lack the ability to enjoy poor within politics, their only real form of power comes from illegal activities, violence, and drugs. A great saying is you should always be afraid of the very poor because that is a man with nothing to lose. You want a better country, then make sure everyone within it has something of value they do not wish to lose (which we proudly call the middle class, which is being squeezed out of our cities and our society.)
 
Old 04-25-2012, 09:06 PM
 
2,503 posts, read 3,652,388 times
Reputation: 1907
Rent Stabilization goes far beyond price control. It gives people entitlement to their apartment, excuse me, entitlement to the landlord's apartment, the tenant doesn't own it. Though you would think so considering all the favorable rights a tenant has over a landlord.

Rent Stabilization keep people prisoners in their own neighborhood. It keeps the neighborhood stale by inhibiting the otherwise natural flow of people moving in and out. When I think of Rent Stabilization and who it really protects, I think of people like these:
Hood 2 Hood Harlem Part 1 - YouTube

Rent Stabilization keep people like you see in the video as permanent figures of the community. The landlord is hopeless in getting rid of them as the landlord is obligated to offer the tenants you see on the video a lease renewal, essentially having the tenant for LIFE!

If these people on the video lived in a deregulated apartment like 99% of the rest of the country does, then all the landlord would have to do is NOT renew this person's lease when it expires and these type of people would have no choice but to move. The tenant moves, the cancer is removed and the neighborhood is that much safer and desirable.

Just know that Rent Stabilization keep "hoods" intacted.
 
Old 04-25-2012, 10:40 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,528,523 times
Reputation: 7830
Nice scare tactics, got any data to back up your claims?
 
Old 04-26-2012, 03:23 AM
 
1,566 posts, read 2,778,623 times
Reputation: 1262
If you go into the history of rent controls, there are two basic phases with two different reason for its institution. The first was nationwide during World War 2 when there was a danger of runaway inflation becasue of full employment. Price controls on necessities were needed

this is a load of nonsense
in the event you actually had runaway inflation there would be nobody supplying food or housing under the price controls
those people have to live also
the would however be a huge black market for these things
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top