U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 04:50 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,993,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
DOWNTOWN BROOKLYN NYU will build a new, high-tech campus in Downtown Brooklyn, on the heels of the multi-million dollar deal that will place a cutting edge Cornell campus on Roosevelt Island.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg and NYU President John Sexton announced a deal Monday to construct the new Center for Urban Science and Progress or CUSP at 370 Jay St., an old MTA building, using $15 million in city funds.

Quote:
The new school is also expected to spur development in Brooklyn's emerging Tech Triangle, which stretches from Downtown Brooklyn to DUMBO to the Brooklyn Navy Yard.
The area, home to $3.13-billion-a-year industry supporting more than 32,700 jobs in 500 companies, is expected to to grow by 87 percent to a $5.85-billion-a-year industry with more than 600 firms and 61,000 jobs by 2015, according to a survey by the Tech Triangle Coalition of firms released Monday.
"This is a game changer for Downtown Brooklyn and for New York," State Sen. Daniel Squadron said.
City Gives $15M to Bring NYU Tech Campus to Brooklyn - DNAinfo.com

Quote:
Yesterday, their efforts were brought to fruition when 14 speakers came to NYU-Polytechnic University to announce that the city had agreed to sponsor the NYU Center for Urban Science and Progress (CUSP), at 370 Jay St. This would be a partnership between NYU and several other universities worldwide City University of New York, Carnegie Mellon University, University of Toronto, University of Warwick and Indian Institute of Technology Bombay as well as IBM and Cisco.
'Game Changer:' After Years of Talk, High-Tech Rehab OK'd for 370 Jay St. | Brooklyn Daily Eagle

Finally, I thought they forgot about this project but it seems like it's finally happening. I'll post some renderings in a few. What are your thoughts? I personally think it's a great idea the current building is defunct and the scaffolding has been up forever. It's about time some real work begins!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 05:12 PM

Current MTA Building

Link

NYU Center for Urban Science and Progress (CUSP) Renderings:

link

link

link

Old 04-23-2012, 05:24 PM

651 posts, read 1,520,570 times
So they're closing down Jay St from cars? Wow that's a major street too. I went to Polytech across the street and it looked like crap back then. This would really class up the area.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
So they're closing down Jay St from cars? Wow that's a major street too. I went to Polytech across the street and it looked like crap back then. This would really class up the area.
No I think they just removed them to focus better on the school and architecture. The last rendering has the cars and the actual scene it'll have. I think it's a step up as well.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:38 PM

1,682 posts, read 2,626,157 times
This is GREAT for Downtown Brooklyn.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:53 PM

5,073 posts, read 5,416,786 times
That area has certainly changed over the years, especially with the new stadium about to open up. I was down there at the Brooklyn flea over the weekend and I am always startled at how much of a change in the stores and the population has gone through over the past 10 years. It's becoming a branch of Manhattan. I also wonder why the city would give NYU money to build there considering CUNY City Tech is already in the neighborhood. Why not just give them the funds to boost things up?

Old 04-23-2012, 05:59 PM

5,073 posts, read 5,416,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
Should be interesting. They'll have their own "University City" (like the one in Philly). You have LIU-Brooklyn, NYU-Poly, Brooklyn Law and City Tech, all within walking distance from one another.

Last thing for them to do is spruce up fulton mall and the area should be in good shape.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,157 times
great news for downtown brooklyn! it was disappointing when this plan lost the nyc competition a few months ago to cornell's roosevelt island plan, so we're really glad nyu is going ahead with the plan anyway! this will be a great boost to the tech boom in brooklyn and will help push the movement from dumbo further into downtown brooklyn. really a coup for the neighborhood. we at [url=http://commoncharges.com]commoncharges.com | get together[/url] can't wait to ride the wave!

Old 04-23-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
That area has certainly changed over the years, especially with the new stadium about to open up. I was down there at the Brooklyn flea over the weekend and I am always startled at how much of a change in the stores and the population has gone through over the past 10 years. It's becoming a branch of Manhattan. I also wonder why the city would give NYU money to build there considering CUNY City Tech is already in the neighborhood. Why not just give them the funds to boost things up?
Well it's two different types of schools but I think it'll fit in perfectly. I also think the arena will further add to the Brooklyn 'boom'.

Quote:
Should be interesting. They'll have their own "University City" (like the one in Philly). You have LIU-Brooklyn, NYU-Poly, Brooklyn Law and City Tech, all within walking distance from one another.

Last thing for them to do is spruce up fulton mall and the area should be in good shape.
They're working on that too. . .New plans were released for the City Point Towers too.

City Point | Premier Retail

Old 04-23-2012, 08:10 PM

19,079 posts, read 32,655,211 times
Quote:

Just to add, St. Francis too. Pretty cool.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City