U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 05:53 PM

1,682 posts, read 2,626,157 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: Copyright violation: Post only your own photos.

http://www.thepopups.com/storage/146...=1319053021199

Quote:
Last year, the city launched Vision2020, New York’s comprehensive waterfront plan. To describe the plan’s scale and importance, the city’s 520 mile waterfront is referred to as “Sixth Borough.” Today in Los Angeles, the American Planning Association will bestow the Daniel Burnham Award to the city for the proposal. Meanwhile, back in New York, the proposed changes continue to work their way through legal channels to become law...
Clearing Vision - The Architect's Newspaper

Bloomberg Calls for a Greater, Greener NYC Waterfront with Vision 2020 | Inhabitat New York City

Waterfront Revitalization Program (WRP) - New York City Department of City Planning

Vision 2020 : Curbed NY

Vision 2020: The NYC Comprehensive Waterfront Plan - Department of City Planning

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-23-2012 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: Copyright issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 05:55 PM

1,118 posts, read 1,905,820 times
Am I the only person who finds it ironic that a planning award is being given out in Los Angeles? But seriously, Vision 2020 is good stuff. Can't wait to see Brooklyn Bridge Park completed myself.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:59 PM

14,773 posts, read 17,397,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Am I the only person who finds it ironic that a planning award is being given out in Los Angeles? But seriously, Vision 2020 is good stuff. Can't wait to see Brooklyn Bridge Park completed myself.
I'm not sure if you read the nyt lately, while nyc is going through the process of Californication, Los Angeles is currently going through the process of New Yorkify. Many cities through out America are trying to reinvent themselves.

Should Los Angeles New Yorkify? - Room for Debate - NYTimes.com

Old 04-23-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I'm not sure if you read the nyt lately, while nyc is going through the process of Californication, Los Angeles is currently going through the process of New Yorkify. Many cities through out America are trying to reinvent themselves.

Should Los Angeles New Yorkify? - Room for Debate - NYTimes.com
Um how? New York is still the anti-California.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Um how? New York is still the anti-California.
Native new yorkers especially some local businsess owners to some politicians are but the forces that be think differently.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Native new yorkers especially some local businsess owners to some politicians are but the forces that be think differently.
Because 2011's record subway ridership and incredibly dense levels of corridor development, particularly in Brooklyn, are so California. And the "forces that be" are only encouraging more of it. Totally off topic (on my part), but still.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:00 AM

4,911 posts, read 6,818,691 times
He might be speaking more to the type of people that have moved into the city. I've heard more "like, yahhhh's" over the past decade than I ever could have imagined.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
He might be speaking more to the type of people that have moved into the city. I've heard more "like, yahhhh's" over the past decade than I ever could have imagined.
NYC is going to reinvent itself and sometimes it does start by moving a new batch of people in and moving an old batch of locals to the suburbs. Last year I visited that BRooklyn pier Park by the Brooklyn Bridge and I overheard some transplants saying this feels like back home in San Francisco. Dont get me wrong the park is beautiful especially around warmer days, however most of the people in or around that park were either tourist or transplants, the only locals that where their were those maintaining the park. NYC has alot of unused waterfront property that has to be redeveloped for the growing needs of the city especially new comers who are willing to move here, sad part is that if your a local and your job is located on a waterfront that is slated to be redevelop quite possibly that worker will loose its job.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:44 AM

1,682 posts, read 2,626,157 times
Quote:
NYC is going to reinvent itself and sometimes it does start by moving a new batch of people in and moving an old batch of locals to the suburbs. Last year I visited that BRooklyn pier Park by the Brooklyn Bridge and I overheard some transplants saying this feels like back home in San Francisco. Dont get me wrong the park is beautiful especially around warmer days, however most of the people in or around that park were either tourist or transplants, the only locals that where their were those maintaining the park. NYC has alot of unused waterfront property that has to be redeveloped for the growing needs of the city especially new comers who are willing to move here, sad part is that if your a local and your job is located on a waterfront that is slated to be redevelop quite possibly that worker will loose its job.
Most waterfront structures are dead or dirty industry. It's better to clear them out, build an accessible waterfront and benefit from increased property values that will bring other types of jobs.

NYC is not becoming California or Los Angeles. If anything it is borrowing ideas that work from various cities across the world, mostly from Europe, and catering them to the needs of New Yorkers.

It's about time our waterfront becomes more accessible. So much potential.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:12 PM

669 posts, read 1,036,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Most waterfront structures are dead or dirty industry. It's better to clear them out, build an accessible waterfront and benefit from increased property values that will bring other types of jobs.

NYC is not becoming California or Los Angeles. If anything it is borrowing ideas that work from various cities across the world, mostly from Europe, and catering them to the needs of New Yorkers.

It's about time our waterfront becomes more accessible. So much potential.
Exactly this is a good thing and I Ive been to Brooklyn Bridge park a few times and I seen a good mix of native NYers, immigrants, and transplants some ppl really like to overreact about this whole transplant situation when their not even close to taking over the city.

But back to the topic NYC waterfront has mad potential I'd like to see some avenues right at the water with stores, restaurants, nightlife, etc right on the water in Brooklyn and Queens overlooking Manhattan/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or