Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 08:49 PM

7 posts, read 29,395 times

Advertisements

I was really stupid. I'm college student and only have one job, I didn't have money and used my brother MTA during spring break to go to work. I was arrested and it was a lesson learned. It was my first ticket, reason why I was arrested instead of giving just a summon was because I had a ticket before I didn't pay (THIS IS NOT TRUE, I CALLED THE TRANSIT INF AND THEY SAID I HAVE NO RECORD SO I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT HAPPENED WHICH I'M GOING TO FIND OUT THE COURT DAY)

What to expect the court day? will I have to need an attorney? If I plead guilty, will it stay in my record?

Any related experienced please tell me your outcome. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 08:57 PM

34,082 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agresivo809 View Post
I was really stupid. I'm college student and only have one job, I didn't have money and used my brother MTA during spring break to go to work. I was arrested and it was a lesson learned. It was my first ticket, reason why I was arrested instead of giving just a summon was because I had a ticket before I didn't pay (THIS IS NOT TRUE, I CALLED THE TRANSIT INF AND THEY SAID I HAVE NO RECORD SO I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT HAPPENED WHICH I'M GOING TO FIND OUT THE COURT DAY)

What to expect the court day? will I have to need an attorney? If I plead guilty, will it stay in my record?

Any related experienced please tell me your outcome. thanks!
If you never paid a ticket then you had a warrant out for your arrest. Either way, go to court, plead guilty and take the violation. It's not even a misdemeanor. You've already admitted to City-Data that you were guilty anyway. Unless you were planning on becoming a cop or running for politics I really don't see it as a big deal. Just don't do it again.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-29-2012, 03:55 PM

93 posts, read 194,328 times
ya just pay the fine u cnt beat it. i got popped 3 times once in flatbush, once hunts pt n 125th st. station. the cops r sneaky tho cuz they will set u up. gotta watch out 4 em.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:14 PM

21 posts, read 64,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeLoNLoCoBx View Post
ya just pay the fine u cnt beat it. i got popped 3 times once in flatbush, once hunts pt n 125th st. station. the cops r sneaky tho cuz they will set u up. gotta watch out 4 em.
They're not setting you up, they're catching you in the act lol... anyways this is not a misdemeanor, so it's not a criminal case. You can become a cop or work for the city with such things on your record. Its really nothing to worry about. Just be prepared to pay a few dollars for what happened.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:20 PM

368 posts, read 391,534 times
The people who are giving you advice above don't know what they are talking about; Theft of Service is a Class A misdemeanor (meaning it is a crime rather than a violation), which is the same degree as Petit larceny or 3rd-degree Assault. Since you have been charged with a crime, it would be wisest to consult a lawyer, although it isn't completely necessary. if you have no prior record, it is likely (although NOT certain) that you will get a ACD = "adjourned contemplating dismissal." What you should NOT do, though, is just blow the whole thing off and not appear on your return date; to do that would be to ask for major trouble in the future.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:53 AM

555 posts, read 1,183,731 times
Can you please tell me how the cops are sneaky????? lol i got to hear this hahaha

Old 04-30-2012, 09:36 AM

93 posts, read 194,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc77 View Post
Can you please tell me how the cops are sneaky????? lol i got to hear this hahaha
all the time. the cop that bust me was undercover n he was actin like he was lookin at da subway map real sneak like. no lie, my metro card didnt work so i jumped. then he came after me n wrote me aticket. said i needed to get a card, i said thats wack because i already have a student metro card n it didnt work. whateva.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:47 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Default I don't get it!

Some of you jump the turnstyle without paying your fare, Despite knowing it being a misdemeanor and signs clearly posted in most stations how it's illegal, And...you blame the NYPD cause they are "sneaky." What do you think they are paid to do? Bake cookies and sing Kumbaya?

We pay our fare. Can't pay your fare? Get a nice comfortable pair of shoes and hoof it. So tired of people knowingly doing the wrong thing and blaming "The man." Responsibility, Choices. To the original OP, Just pay the fine and learn the lesson and all will be OK.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:48 AM

555 posts, read 1,183,731 times
I along with dozens of other people I see swipe people in daily...everytime I ride the subway for me. If you are ask, most people will gladly swipe you in for free. Especially if they see a kid with books and back pack going to what we hope is school

Old 04-30-2012, 12:51 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Swipe people in if you wish. Have people swipe YOU in if they wish. Hop the turnstile if you are agile?

But please don't bore the universe with your whining if and when you get caught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City