U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 04:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,557 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone has use regents exam books called "Surviving Chemistry Regents Exam" or "Surviving Biology Regents Exam" books? I want to get them for my children who are taking these two regents exams in June but I am not sure if they are good books. I came across them on Amazon and their website e3chemistry.com, and they look interesting. I'll appreciate your comment. thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 11:41 PM

7,558 posts, read 7,988,426 times
I have never heard of these. We always just used Barrons. But I wanted to give you a heads up that PBS usually runs regents review programs starting in May through June. If you can catch the live broadcast, you can call in and ask your questions and they will go over specific questions from old regents on the air. Then they re-run the program several times, usually at odd hours. They don't make a program for every single regents each year. So they might have physics and bio one year and then have chem another year; same for languages. I was surprised that they bothered to have a review program in German one year.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:54 AM

2,256 posts, read 5,906,123 times
I remember using Barrons practice exams with their associated study guides. Do all the practice exams and study what you messed up and you shouldn't have an issue getting an 85+. Worked well for me and they tend to repeat questions or just have them reworded a different way. The information doesnt really change at all with the sciences or mathematics. Good luck!

Old 04-29-2012, 06:46 AM

2 posts, read 4,557 times
Chemistry Regents question from Surviving Chemistry Regents exam book

The bonds in BaO are best described as
(1) covalent, because valance electrons are shared
(2) covalent, because valance electrons are transferred
(3) ionic, because valance electrons are shared
(4) ionic, because valance electrons are transferred

Answer: Choice 4

Explanation:
BaO is composed of a metal (Ba) and a Nonmetal (O)
Recall: Ionic bond is formed by the transfer of electrons between from a metal atom and a nonmetal atom.

This question is from Surviving Chemistry Regents Exam Day at a Time.
This book seriously has one of the best, simplified, and easier to learn explanation of answers to Regents questions. I would check it out at e3chemistry.com

Old 04-29-2012, 02:24 PM

7,558 posts, read 7,988,426 times
Some review books use regents-like questions, but not actual regents. The best way to practice is to go over all the old regents that you can find and time yourself. As someone else already mentioned. they tend to repeat the same questions. You can also find old regents on line. Perhaps, this other book would be a good supplement for explanations.

I used to use Aamsco study guides so I am dating myself here. I've still got my old Troisieme Livre and refer to it from time to time.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemKid17 View Post
Chemistry Regents question from Surviving Chemistry Regents exam book

The bonds in BaO are best described as
(1) covalent, because valance electrons are shared
(2) covalent, because valance electrons are transferred
(3) ionic, because valance electrons are shared
(4) ionic, because valance electrons are transferred

Answer: Choice 4

Explanation:
BaO is composed of a metal (Ba) and a Nonmetal (O)
Recall: Ionic bond is formed by the transfer of electrons between from a metal atom and a nonmetal atom.

This question is from Surviving Chemistry Regents Exam Day at a Time.
This book seriously has one of the best, simplified, and easier to learn explanation of answers to Regents questions. I would check it out at e3chemistry.com
also everyone could suck my hard ****

Old 06-05-2014, 08:46 AM

3,128 posts, read 2,633,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
But I wanted to give you a heads up that PBS usually runs regents review programs starting in May through June. If you can catch the live broadcast, you can call in and ask your questions and they will go over specific questions from old regents on the air. Then they re-run the program several times, usually at odd hours. They don't make a program for every single regents each year. So they might have physics and bio one year and then have chem another year; same for languages. I was surprised that they bothered to have a review program in German one year.
Ever since most students failed the 2003 Regents math exam (which was regraded so that just about everyone passed), and in order to avoid further embarrassment, the Regents Board changed (i.e. simplified) the exam content and the scores were curved up a bit.

As mentioned by the poster above, try to tune in to the regents reviews on PBS. The questions on the exams will be a close parallel to those examples given on TV. There are also Regents reviews posted on youtube, both official and by students who have taken the exam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or