U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:23 AM

2,898 posts, read 4,937,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk90 View Post
Congratulations and good luck with your move. I was a grad student at Fordham years ago and a number of the faculty lived in the Bronx. You may want to look at the safety map thread:
NYC Safety Maps
However, they have the Little Italy neighborhood as orange-shaded--according to their criteria "Orange means that a suburbanite would probably be scared of the area, but somebody with a reasonable amount of street-smarts should be fine" and I question whether it's really gotten that bad? I lived in the area years ago, have visited recently and would say that much of it should be shaded yellow, "Yellow means that the area should be fine to anybody, but you may still see occasional incidents. You just need basic street smarts (don't go out drunk waving the money and expensive gadgets) and you should be fine."

Actually little Italy is not shaded of any color.

The LES is shaded yellow and orange in some parts.

The Bronx on the other hand is almost entirely red and orange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 11:45 AM

334 posts, read 927,147 times
likeminas, it looks like we're talking about 2 different areas. You're right that Little Italy in Manhattan is not shaded any color. However I'm talking about Little Italy in the Bronx, right next to Fordham, which is shaded orange.

If you take a closer look at the safety map of the Bronx you'll see that almost half of it is not shaded or shaded yellow.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:49 PM

33 posts, read 59,092 times
Default I would recommend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplegrrl View Post
Hi folks,
I'm excited to have landed a great job offer at Fordham's Rose Hill campus. I'll be moving to NYC from the West Coast with my husband and 2 year old daughter. We can afford about $2400 in rent. We've lived in NYC before and could live in a pretty small (say, 650 square foot) apartment even with the toddler, just as long as there's no major mouse or bedbug problem (yes, we have lived in NYC before).
I'm trying to find neighborhoods with a shorter (less than an hour) commute to Fordham (it's right by the Botanical Garden) and came up with the following:

--rent a tiny apartment on the Upper West side and take the B to the D for about 50 minutes for commute. Pros: great schools, fabulous neighborhood; Cons: tiny little apartments, commute on the longer side.
--Rent a tiny apartment on the East Side and take Metro North. Pros: shorter commute; cons: tiny apartment, expensive commute.
--Live a couple stops north of Fordham on the Metro North, like in Larchmont or Mamoroneck. Pros: probably nicer area and more affordable. Cons: there's a reason we want to live in NYC, and the suburbs ain't it.
--Live in Queens (probably Forest Hills) and drive to work. Pros: big huge apartments we can afford, and great schools. Cons: can I actually drive to work in NYC? Google maps thinks I can drive it in half an hour... I'm very dubious.

Am I missing any ideas? I don't think actually living in the Bronx is in the picture, but that's mainly because we know very little about the Bronx; and I've been told I'd need to send the kid to private school which would demolish the cost savings of lower rent. But I do like City Island.

Thanks, everyone!

Pelham Parkway, Morris Park, Pelham Bay. You can definitely get a lot for your budget in the Bronx. Plus for the Pelham Parkway and Pelham Bay area is that you can take the BX12 SBS that stops directly infront of Fordham. Also got the 6 express at Pelham Bay and the 5 express at Pelham Parkway. Close to lots of amenities as well.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:53 PM

245 posts, read 395,637 times
College Point Whitestone or Bayside in Queens. 15 minute ride to Fordham

Old 05-05-2012, 05:33 PM

343 posts, read 896,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoby23 View Post
College Point Whitestone or Bayside in Queens. 15 minute ride to Fordham
During what time of the day? LOL. And $6.50 each way in toll is quite taxing.

I'd go with the Northern Bronx areas as others have suggested.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:26 PM

1 posts, read 957 times
As an employee at Fordham, you can ride the RAM VAN for cheap if not free! Ask your boss/department chair. It is a shuttle van between Lincoln Center and Rose Hill. Therefore, you could live anywhere around Lincoln Center and just hop the van to and from work!

Drops you off right in from of the student center at Rose Hill.

[url=http://www.fordham.edu/campus_resources/student_services/intercampus_transpor/]Intercampus Transportation Main Page[/url]

Old 06-19-2012, 03:30 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 2,376,894 times
has the OP considered Westchester or even Rockland?
I would imagine this would be a faster commute to Fordham

Old 06-20-2012, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 1,784 times
I have a similar question so I too work at Fordham. Trying to find a 2BR place in Westchester within about an hour commute either by train or driving for under $2000/month. We have a baby so something quiet and neighborhoody would be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City