U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 03:24 PM

6,909 posts, read 9,028,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
I was thinking that if you have 1000 asian kids and 100 white kids with immigrant (foreign born) parents. Say half of both groups (500 and 50 for each) are selected into a specialized school which has 1000 students in total, with 50% asians + 40% whites + 10% else.

If you count them separately, the admission rates for both asian and white students with foreign born parents are similar. However, if you mix the white immigrant students into the entire white student body (50 immigrant white students + 350 local whites) and divide them by the total white student population in NYC, the admission rate for the immigrant white group will be much lower due to the large number of non-immigrant students.
You also made the pronouncement that the performance of Asian kids is "just like any other group". How do you know that the admissions rate (ie, # of applicants to # of admitted) of all groups are the same?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 03:44 PM

3,335 posts, read 3,125,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
You also made the pronouncement that the performance of Asian kids is "just like any other group". How do you know that the admissions rate (ie, # of applicants to # of admitted) of all groups are the same?
It is only a part time volunteer job for me to contribute my thoughts and opinions here on CD. The information you asked for requires more time and research which I cannot afford at the moment .

Old 06-26-2013, 05:05 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,413,544 times
Wow, it doesn't take much, but a mention of an area with expensive homes and Asians to lure all the racists and hater out. Works every time.

^^^ Have you taken any college level math before, do you know what is meant by cherry picking data?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_picking_(fallacy)

You mentioned PS 235, did you look at the stats from grades 1-5, don't you see a huge discrepancy in just the number of data points? I suppose not since it's only volunteer work. Btw what's the agenda of the part-time work besides Asian bashing and hating on people who work hard to live in a nicer neighborhood? If you can't stand seeing Asians doing well please stay out of the area.

If you would just know how to search a bit more on that school, here's what you'll find about the school.

" Grades 6 through 9 are comprised solely of students in the gifted program. "

" The school buses approximately 275 students daily, from the main building to The Early Childhood Center and back to the main building at the end of the day. Students in the five grades SOAR Program, six, seven, and eight at P.S. 235 travel to attend our middle school site, Lenox Academy. Approximately 300 students are currently attending classes at this building. All classes at P.S. 235, (Jancie Marie Knight School) are all heterogeneously grouped. "

If you ever have any legitimate data that shows what you're arguing and can't be picked apart by anyone with half a pea sized brain please post it here. I would like to take it to the supreme court to fight the implicit racist Asian quota in place at the nation's top schools.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 06-26-2013 at 05:22 PM..

Old 06-26-2013, 05:38 PM

6,909 posts, read 9,028,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
It is only a part time volunteer job for me to contribute my thoughts and opinions here on CD. The information you asked for requires more time and research which I cannot afford at the moment .
Then we really don't know if what you're saying is true. To date I haven't seen any source that proves your claims.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:25 AM

7,048 posts, read 7,618,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
The top 5 high schools in NYC as ranked on school digger by test scores are Stuy, Bronx Sci, Staten island tech, Erasmus and Townsend. All MAJORITY asian, except for SIT which is 30% asian. Note that asians are by number the smallest minority in the city school system based on the four category system of black, white, asian and hispanic, and yet those schools are majority asian.
good point...repped

Old 06-27-2013, 07:08 AM

483 posts, read 702,647 times
I think good schools are product of children from growing Hispanic and Asian adult population in Bayside with at least bachelor's degree. Also, there are lots of Catholic schools.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Wow, it doesn't take much, but a mention of an area with expensive homes and Asians to lure all the racists and hater out. Works every time.

^^^ Have you taken any college level math before, do you know what is meant by cherry picking data?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_picking_(fallacy)

You mentioned PS 235, did you look at the stats from grades 1-5, don't you see a huge discrepancy in just the number of data points? I suppose not since it's only volunteer work. Btw what's the agenda of the part-time work besides Asian bashing and hating on people who work hard to live in a nicer neighborhood? If you can't stand seeing Asians doing well please stay out of the area.

If you would just know how to search a bit more on that school, here's what you'll find about the school.

" Grades 6 through 9 are comprised solely of students in the gifted program. "

" The school buses approximately 275 students daily, from the main building to The Early Childhood Center and back to the main building at the end of the day. Students in the five grades SOAR Program, six, seven, and eight at P.S. 235 travel to attend our middle school site, Lenox Academy. Approximately 300 students are currently attending classes at this building. All classes at P.S. 235, (Jancie Marie Knight School) are all heterogeneously grouped. "

If you ever have any legitimate data that shows what you're arguing and can't be picked apart by anyone with half a pea sized brain please post it here. I would like to take it to the supreme court to fight the implicit racist Asian quota in place at the nation's top schools.
Racisism is the best weapon of defense if race-related discussions do not go your way. But if you use it too often, it will become ineffective.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Then we really don't know if what you're saying is true. To date I haven't seen any source that proves your claims.
I was stating my reasoning based on my own observations. I have not had time to search for exisitng data to support it. On the other hand I am not sure if any comparisons were made among children with foreign born parents. I can tell that a large portion of asian kids in NYC schools have foreign born parents.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:12 PM

150 posts, read 214,207 times
I went to P.S. 159 when I was younger.. So many good memories there, haha.

I'm not sure if there are "so many" good schools in Bayside, but majority of them most likely are because the community in Bayside is great. From friendly to active parents, staff, teachers, etc. It's not solely because there are many Asians.. Most schools in Bayside just have a firm base of individuals that strive to make education better, create opportunities, etc. Iirc, it's very multicultural as well..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City