Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 12:22 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,527,411 times

Advertisements

"Are you a US citizen"

Thats not an illegal interview question per se. Many federal jobs, e.g. US Government agency jobs, may only be held by a US citizen. Asking about a person's qualification for the job being discussed is permissible.

No doubt that doens't apply here tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 12:43 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,069,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
"Are you a US citizen"

Thats not an illegal interview question per se. Many federal jobs, e.g. US Government agency jobs, may only be held by a US citizen. Asking about a person's qualification for the job being discussed is permissible.

No doubt that doens't apply here tho.
Yes, I know most US government job require citizenship. I doubt the poster works for the US government, but I suppose you never know.

I also suspect that with the crazy online applications you have to fill out on USAjobs, that by the time you get to the interview for your US Government job, they already know whether you are a US citizen and they don't have to ask.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:23 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,229,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
trinity of culture, family and morals ... determine the success of the Child. ... immigrant or first generation ethnic families headed by a Father and a Mother like God intended.
An old-time mounted cop once gave me his formula on how to raise children properly: a 75% mixture of love & discipline, plus 25% luck. Some families lose a parent, through no fault of their own. That does not necessarily halt their progress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
When I hire people I prefer first generation children of immigrants. They are smart, sharp and well motivated. They benefit from the deposit of cultural wealth that resides in tradition. They have not yet been spiritually ruined by American cultural subversion. It is their moral uprightness that drives success.
While I agree that the children of immigrants appear to have more drive to succeed, I don't necessarily attribute it to a higher moral standard. I have found plenty of successful immigrants and their kids with no moral standards at all!
Traits such as shrewdness, tenacity, dedication, attention, & resilience, IMO generally describe more successful people. One doesn't necessarily have to be nice, or nasty. Education is important, but not mandatory. I know many uneducated successes, and some educated failures. Sometimes, what one learns in school besides the textbooks, or in life, is more valuable.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:02 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,497,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
Martha Anne, you are pinning an entire continent based on some experiences you have had.
That's a very dangerous thing to do. I hope you will retract some of your statements and pinpoint to an individual rather than the whole continent.
I was afraid that if I wrote one anecdote someone would think that. I gave the wrong impression by giving that anecdote.

I live around a huge Chinese and Korean community and worked in schools with Chinese and Korean kids.

I also went to school with a young girl from Japan (in my college), from a prominent Japanese family. Wonderful friend. and was good friends, spent quite a lot of time, with a Japanese MIT Ph.D. candidate and, later, graduate, in Economics, who had come here for his Ph.D. Both sensitive, fabulous people and friends.

But I have seen too much here with too many Asians (in particular, or, especially, Koreans.) It is ridiculous to say I am pinning it on to an entire continent. Or nation. Why would I even think that? I don't.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:02 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,832,422 times
Bayside - and other well off Queens neighborhoods - has traditionally had a good school district with or without Asians and this is rooted in its history of affluence. It was once home to wealthy farmers and traders from the LI agricultural industry. After them followed Italian and Irish families who already became affluent after starting out in other parts of the city. Asians started moving into Bayside precisely because it already had a good SD - and these were Asians who became richer after starting out in Flushing so the bad elements among them like the FK Ching and Tung On crime groups were already filtered out.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:50 PM

86 posts, read 119,346 times
First of all....you Asians did not build the bayside school system.....so stop taking credit for it! I was born in bayside and I went to school here...me and all the black kids I went to school with built this school system....so you lil Asians....stop taking credit for things that you did not do!!!! Your parents were probably not even in this country 30 years ago. When I went to school, the neighborhood was predominantly black not Asian!

Old 06-25-2013, 09:13 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,276,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnc62683 View Post
When I went to school, the neighborhood was predominantly black not Asian!
Never knew bayside was ever predominantly black.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:59 AM

589 posts, read 1,217,845 times
Quote:
First of all....you Asians did not build the bayside school system.....so stop taking credit for it! I was born in bayside and I went to school here...me and all the black kids I went to school with built this school system....so you lil Asians....stop taking credit for things that you did not do!!!! Your parents were probably not even in this country 30 years ago. When I went to school, the neighborhood was predominantly black not Asian!

Looks like Bayside High School did very little for your education.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:16 AM

8,649 posts, read 11,028,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Virtually all schools in the city with large asian populations are very good schools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
This
never generalize. manhattan Chinatown & Elmhurst public schools are not nyc top notch. It irritates me when people generalize...similar to when someone says all Asians are great at math

Old 06-26-2013, 06:26 AM

8,649 posts, read 11,028,241 times
Quote:
I lived in bayside all of the 80s....there was a small pocket of blacks residing there around Oceania St by northern blvd back then. Never has there been a large black population in bayside....not even close to 10%. The vast majority of blacks that went to district 26 are bus in from other parts of queens like Jamaica, hollis, etc.

Its pretty the most silly thing I've read this year to claim blacks build the bayside school system. I've met a few nice & smart black kids back then but they were an extreme minority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post

Looks like Bayside High School did very little for your education.
I agree with this...what an incoherent post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City