U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 05:11 PM

7,555 posts, read 7,981,754 times

Advertisements

Park Slope would be a shorter commute than Forest Hills. I don't think he can get to the FD in 30 minutes door to door from the 71st Continental Ave. stop and I think he'll have to change trains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 05:58 PM

55 posts, read 108,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
As for "kid friendly", I agree with the other posters. Really not much for the lil ones. Depending on where you'll be in Forest Hills, 30 minutes may just be cutting it close. I would say it's probably about 40 minutes and that's if you're near the subway. Matter of fact, I was at Battery Park a few weeks ago and it took almost 40 minutes to Union Turnpike in Kew Gardens which isn't far from Forest Hills (1 express stop on the E). Not to mention we had to switch like 3 trains. IMO, being in certain parts of Queens can bit out of the way and Forest Hills isn't so cheap. There's also Sunnyside. Very family oriented, lots of diversity, near transportation, lots of shopping, pretty safe and just a few stops from Manhattan.

Thanks! Ive never had anyone suggest Sunnyside! Ill look into that. Im hoping to explore this summer, before we have to move, and get a good idea of neighborhoods.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:47 PM

31 posts, read 55,993 times
I concur with Tribeca. Lotsa families there. There's a playground just north of Whole Foods that always seems to be full of kids. Plus, it's a 15 minute walk to the Financial District - may take longer depending on tourists.

You will also find a lot of stores in Tribeca that sell kid stuff - toys, clothes, furniture. In the Financial District, you'll find strip joints and bars. I rarely encounter anyone with a stroller in the Financial District but get run over by a stroller every 10 feet in Tribeca.

The price differential between Tribeca and FD is not that great. The big difference is studios and 1 bdrms are rare in Tribeca but more plentiful in the FD. Tribeca is mostly large lofts, 2 and 3 bdrms. Probably because Tribeca is geared towards families and FD for childless and single people.

Another place to look is the Upper West Side. Very kid friendly and I'd guess about 10% cheaper than the FD. If you get a place near the 2/3 it will be a 30 minute subway ride to the FD.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:57 PM

9,832 posts, read 21,499,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Future View Post
Having only worked in the area, I never saw any type of family oriented restaurants or playgrounds. The area literally "closes" after 6pm when all of the workers go home, leaving the area with a eerie desolate feeling. No cabs to be seen. Most of the shops and restaurants close early - with a handful of bars remaining open to accommodate the poor investment bankers that work late into the evening. Down by the water is a museum and more eateries, but I never saw children playing in the area.

I would ask your RE agent what the neighborhood has to offer as far as family oriented amenities. BPC may be the only choice for a family, but that may not be an option (price vs availability).

Good luck.
There has been some effort to change the closed after 6 vibe but yeah its still there...

Old 04-28-2012, 12:57 AM

880 posts, read 1,662,293 times
Definitely not very kid friendly. I feel like FiDi and Midtown are the most uptight districts. Battery Park is nice but I wouldn't say it's kid-friendly. It's a nice park, but not so much for kids. Have you tried looking into the East Village or West Village? Those are more kid-friendly places, plus they are only a 15 minute subway ride away from FiDi!

Old 04-28-2012, 05:41 AM

55 posts, read 108,053 times
To be honest, the only places Ive really started looking are Park Slope and Forest Hills. At first I looked at Williamsburg, not sure why but I thought it was a good family place. I was told by lots of people on this board that its not so much, so I looked at Park Slope and then heard about Forest Hills. I never thought to look at the East Village or West Village. Thanks for the suggestions! This has all been so helpful!

Old 04-28-2012, 06:05 AM

234 posts, read 611,195 times
I live in the financial district and I think this is a crappy place to live. I got here because it was an easy move from out of state because the place is owned by a family friend.

To summarize what others have already said, this neighborhood is really quiet on nights and weekends. It's not a "ghost town", but it's definitely quiet. I also think that the place is devoid of good restaurants. Finally, I'm always astonished when I see kids in the neighborhood. I say to myself, "What type of parent would raise their kids here?". There is nothing green down here, the sidewalks are very narrow so getting around with a stroller is difficult at best, and during the day the streets are over crowded with workers that are very rude. Finally, although it's VERY convenient to have a TON of subway lines converge here, it takes forever to get anywhere in the city since the financial district is so far south.

I highly recommend you look into other areas. I travel to eastern Queens and take the E train to Kew Gardens and that takes about 45 minutes so Forest Hills is probably about 40 minutes on the train from the financial district. You can do this without changing trains. Forest Hills is probably more kid friendly than the financial district.

Oh... I forgot to mention that the street are VERY narrow so although I have 8 very large windows in my apartment, it's basically never bright and sunny. This might be apartment specific, but I think this is going to be common down here. It reminds me of the Boston downtown core.

Good luck in your search!!!

Old 04-28-2012, 02:43 PM

51,245 posts, read 50,519,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Future View Post
Having only worked in the area, I never saw any type of family oriented restaurants or playgrounds. The area literally "closes" after 6pm when all of the workers go home, leaving the area with a eerie desolate feeling. No cabs to be seen. Most of the shops and restaurants close early - with a handful of bars remaining open to accommodate the poor investment bankers that work late into the evening. Down by the water is a museum and more eateries, but I never saw children playing in the area.

I would ask your RE agent what the neighborhood has to offer as far as family oriented amenities. BPC may be the only choice for a family, but that may not be an option (price vs availability).

Good luck.
Wait a minute--you've got that whole park area with the playground along the riverfront. In the summer there is water shooting out of these concrete animals and the very little kids play in the water to cool off. Used to see kids playing there all the time when I worked downtown.

Here--found it on the Internet, first try.

Destination Playground: Nelson A Rockefeller Park in Battery Park City - Things to do, New York City, Playgrounds | Mommy Poppins - Things to Do in NYC with Kids

Old 04-28-2012, 02:45 PM

51,245 posts, read 50,519,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
Definitely not very kid friendly. I feel like FiDi and Midtown are the most uptight districts. Battery Park is nice but I wouldn't say it's kid-friendly. It's a nice park, but not so much for kids. Have you tried looking into the East Village or West Village? Those are more kid-friendly places, plus they are only a 15 minute subway ride away from FiDi!
^^^^
See my post above. This kid-friendly area is north of Battery Park, in the newer part of the park, north of BPC.

And in the area around BPC they are always posting flyers with all the family activities and everything going on.

I just think all this information that there are no kids downtown and nothing for them to do is wrong. Maybe ten years ago it was true, but not anymore.

http://www.nykidsclub.com/Manhattan-Tribeca-Battery-Park-Child-Enrichment-Center.cfm (broken link)

http://www.downtownexpress.com/?p=9319

There are issues with kids being shut out of the first-choice neighborhood elementary schools because of the increase in students.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-28-2012 at 02:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City