U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2012, 12:20 AM

4 posts, read 4,383 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on leaving home for the first time in the fall, and the school that I really want to attend (though I'm still trying to figure out how I can afford it) is in New York. I didn't think this was even a possibility until recently so I've been looking at apartments in CT, where I live now. I did a bit of reading around here but I need a lot of really basic information that I think most adults are no longer ignorant enough to need. Humor me, alright?

So this is how it is: I am a student, and if I move to ny I will still be a student. My fiance and I are talking about him coming with, but due to the particulars of his situation I'd say it's looking about 50/50 right now. I've never lived on my own and I don't know the first thing about finding a place. I live in a small town, I'm young, I don't have any paying job experience, and no degree. Just the word "gun" freaks me out. Now that that's out there, I want to say that I realize how phenomenally bad this idea sounds, and I am still considering it. The school is amazing enough that it's worth it to me.

I had a quick look at craigslist and I looked at the safety maps posted here. It seems like a room in an acceptable part of the city can probably be had for around $800. Is this estimate accurate? If Nate is able to come, do you believe people will rent a single room to a couple, or will we have to get a place of our own, which I know is much more difficult? I live close enough that I could visit for a weekend or so to meet with people if needed, but how long does it usually take to find a place after you've started looking? If we get a place of our own, can anyone estimate the other costs associated with that (utilities, insurance, painting, security, anything at all you can think of, just assume I don't know about it)?

Aside from housing and associated costs, the only other necessary expenditures I have so far thought of are: laundry costs, taxes, groceries, transportation. I really doubt that list is complete, and I barely remembered laundry and transportation. If anyone can add to that list or give estimates of those costs in any area of the city, that would be wonderful.

Basically I'm trying to figure out the minimum amount of money I/we could possibly live off of. I do not want any surprise costs messing up my plans, as I expect budgets will be extremely tight.

As for the jobs, I know the economy is the toilet and both of our schedules will be constrained by school and neither of us have any real experience or higher education. Both of our families are pretty ****ing broke and even if they wanted to they definitely couldn't help us out if we need it. So if I find out in a few weeks that this school is a definite possibility, I am going to have to find a job before I can even think about going. Nate too if he goes. Neither of us are above anything legal. I could work day or night, but between about 2-11 (broad estimate) will have to be reserved for classes. That's all the negative crap I can think of. On the upside I have done a lot of volunteering if that counts for anything on a resume, and I'd happily fill August up with temp work to help build it. (Another thing I know nothing about is resumes. What the heck goes on one?) So if anyone is willing to touch this thread, who wants to guess my probability of legal employment, and how long it would take, and whether or not I'd be dead in two months? I'm not above stripping either, but I imagine that's a competitive field these days too.

Listen, I'm not quite as dumb as I sound (almost, though), but I really am clueless about these particular areas. My mom and I have talked about it, but she keeps trying to put it off. She doesn't think I can move and is trying to spare my feelings by avoiding the topic. I think she feels guilty she can't send me herself. The point is she's not a likely source of information. So literally anything that you can contribute is extremely valuable and appreciated. Thanks for listening.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 06:00 AM

4,480 posts, read 8,317,230 times
Ok, I am going to take a stab at this.

1. How old are you? Your post reads like a 10 year old wrote it. It was actually painful to read, and I have read some really bad posts on here.

2. Have you ever even been here? Why do you assume everyone has guns and you are going to die?

3. Do you have any idea how many well-spoke, educated people are looking for jobs?

4. Why do you want to live here? Just to get away from your parents? To prove something?

And with that, I'm off to work!

Old 04-27-2012, 07:08 AM

10 posts, read 12,118 times
Does your college have dorms? What school are you looking at attending?

Old 04-27-2012, 07:29 AM

4,891 posts, read 8,978,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkityLasaraleen View Post
Listen, I'm not quite as dumb as I sound .
Yeah you are.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:12 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,096,712 times
I don't know why people are being so mean. Ignore them.

That said, the situation you describe makes no sense and no one can understand it. Filling in key pieces of information would help: 1) what school? 2) what kind of degree? 3) how old are you? 4) is there some reason you can't get student loans?

The safety of the city is really a non-issue. It's safe.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:03 AM

10,604 posts, read 20,734,839 times
You might even be able to find a room in a decent area for $600. There are areas of the city that are quite safe, but are in working-class immigrant-centered, non-beautiful, non-hip areas so they are cheap. You might look into Elmhurst, Queens. It has good transportation (subway) into Manhattan.

Search here for "budget" as there are many other threads on this subject.

You can look up how to write a resume online. If you are a high school student, search for "resumes for high school students". Your volunteering and awards would probably figure prominently in the resume because you will need to flesh it out without having work experience.

The city also has something called "Workforce1 Centers" which help people with employment. You could look at those, too.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:36 AM

280 posts, read 244,655 times
Transportation costs: a 30-day unlimited-ride MetroCard (which provides you unlimited use of all subways and city buses, but does not work on commuter trains such as the Long Island Rail Road or MetroNorth) costs $104. If you think about it (you will not need a car, and so will have no expenses for gas or tolls or parking, but will still have unlimited travel all over town 24 hours a day for less than $3.50 a day), that's pretty darn cheap.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:24 AM

2,898 posts, read 4,929,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
There are areas of the city that are quite safe, but are in working-class immigrant-centered, non-beautiful, non-hip areas so they are cheap..
Jackson heights fits that description nicely, not so sure about the safety issue though.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:29 AM

10,604 posts, read 20,734,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Jackson heights fits that description nicely, not so sure about the safety issue though.
No, it does not fit that description.

Jackson Heights is more expensive than Elmhurst, which is why I suggested Elmhurst.

Jackson Heights historic area is beautiful, with garden-style brick architecture, and it's plenty safe. She is welcome to look in Jackson Heights as well, but she will have extreme difficulty finding a room for $600.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:04 AM

2,898 posts, read 4,929,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
No, it does not fit that description.

Jackson Heights is more expensive than Elmhurst, which is why I suggested Elmhurst.

Jackson Heights historic area is beautiful, with garden-style brick architecture, and it's plenty safe. She is welcome to look in Jackson Heights as well, but she will have extreme difficulty finding a room for $600.
Jackson heights it's an all American neighborhood. There's a good mix of old may-flower type of Americans and the newer generations of course.
There's a good representation of African-Americans and new European arrivals.

I'm sure she'll love the beautiful area under the subway tracks, with the decorating news papers flying around, and the stylish garbage coming down from the tracks above like snow-flakes.
She'll love the delightful and pleasant aromas coming from the fish curry, taco and corn-on-the-cob stands.
Safety should not be an issue with drunk south of the border day-laborers hanging around. They are very friendly bunch, you know, especially with beautiful ladies.
I've seen them many times display their latin-lover appeal to by-passing pedestrian. Whistling and complementing their beauty in Spanish are among their tactics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City