U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 02:44 AM

4 posts, read 4,389 times

Advertisements

Subway maps enrage and confuse me.

I have never seen a cockroach and wouldn't know what to do with one if I did manage to identify it.

My faucet is very leaky and difficult to turn on and off, (it's not really a problem but) I have no idea if those two things are related or how to fix them.

A few minutes ago I read someone complaining that people don't exit through the back door of the bus. I didn't even know buses had more than one door (though now that I think about it it makes sense).

I could go on, but I fear some of you may lose your will to live.

I'm willing to learn all of these things. The problem is that I don't even know what I don't know (like with the buses). If you could give your younger self advice, or if you wish you could make all the people that annoy you take a class, or if you have taught people these kinds of things before, what sort of stuff would you say? What else don't I know about buses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 05:04 AM

25 posts, read 46,141 times
Regarding buses....

Walk out of your door.
Look for a bus.
As it is about to pass---step in front of it.
Problems solved.

Troll!

Old 04-27-2012, 07:31 AM

4,891 posts, read 8,983,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane! View Post
Regarding buses....

Troll!
Look who's talking.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:55 AM

316 posts, read 466,098 times
Where do you live that cockroaches and buses don't exist?

Old 04-27-2012, 12:13 PM

12,120 posts, read 27,549,460 times
re: the roaches:

you can crush it with your foot, then pick it up with paper towel and throw it in the trash; or spray it with insect killer and repeat step 2

re: buses:

yes you can exit the bus from the back door. just follow the instructions on the door

re: subway maps. pretend you're in a jetliner looking down at NY City. the lines on the subway map are simply underneath the ground you are looking at(but no ya can't see the tunnels of the lines that go under the rivers)

i haven't lost my will to live yet...

Old 04-27-2012, 02:17 PM

334 posts, read 926,503 times
My main advice to you would be to channel Aravis and not Lasaraleen!

Aravis is daring, independent, willing to break away from convention and learn about a new way of life, while Lasaraleen is spoiled, helpless, selfish and easily frightened. It looks like you're already moving away from Lasaraleen mode by becoming aware and asking questions.

Keep your eyes open and be aware of your surroundings. Ask questions from people around who seem willing to help. Look at help / guides : the internet is your friend. Here are a couple of links about adjusting to the big city:

Moving from small town to big city Culture Transition Tips & Strategies
10 Tips On Moving From A Small Town To Big City | Made Manual

And a good site about understanding the subway including maps that are easier than the official one
How to Take the Subway in NYC or, Learning the Art of the Swipe – New York City, New York, USA | BootsnAll Travel Articles

Old 04-27-2012, 03:03 PM

5,503 posts, read 17,205,586 times
I always exit through the back door. You are actually suppose to enter the bus through the front door, and exit through the back, but people don't do that.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:36 PM

4 posts, read 4,389 times
I wish I were trolling. I live in a small town in CT, no such thing as public anything. And as for the name, it is from a different source. Thanks for the great information.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkityLasaraleen View Post
I wish I were trolling. I live in a small town in CT, no such thing as public anything. And as for the name, it is from a different source. Thanks for the great information.
Is CT in another universe? Buses are the same everywhere in the US. So, have you not been anywhere? Glance at a bus, and the two doors are evident.

Get on a NYC bus and there is a recording which runs incessantly, instructing passengers to use the "rear doors".

Get on any bus in NYC, and people exit thru the rear doors constantly!

So, did that small town dull your powers of observation?

Is that small town so incredibly void of leaky faucets, that such is a the cause of puzzlement and ineptness? Leaky faucets are not germaine to NYC.

Last time I was out in the hinterlands BUGS were everywhere! Along with all sorts of 'critters', one would that a small town boy/girl w/b rather adept at things like 'bug killing'

If you are not a Troll, someone from beneath the Earth, then you most certainly are

A spectactular fantasy!

Old 04-28-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Look who's talking.
Have you ever noted the percentage of your posts, which consist of no more than 3 possibly 5 words of relatively snide remarks amusing mostly to yourself?

Just wondering....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City