U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 01:50 PM

280 posts, read 244,737 times

Advertisements

If the zip code is right it should get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 03:27 PM

8,389 posts, read 19,623,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWhiteBlue View Post
If the zip code is right it should get there.
What I was going to say.I live in The Bronx but an aunt and a few other people send mail to me at my address with NY,NY 10467( my Bronx zip). It still gets to me.
As long as the street address and zip code are correct the rest doesn't matter.

Last edited by bluedog2; 04-28-2012 at 03:55 PM..

Old 04-29-2012, 04:48 AM

142 posts, read 390,929 times
I'm in Flushing so it's "Flushing, NY 11365"

Old 04-29-2012, 06:25 AM

340 posts, read 1,030,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Riverdale is an exception in the Bronx, as Riverdale, NY is commonly used in place of Bronx, NY, but I have never heard of Kingsbridge, NY being used, despite that being the name of one of the post offices that serves Riverdale.

Riverdale is not an exception considering u can put anything as long as zip codes are right. Its just the high and mighty jews there are too proud to put BRONX as their mailing address. "Oh no what would Ezekial think if he found out we lived in DA BRONX, Lets put Riverdale, NY to hide the harsh reality that we are part of the bronx."

Old 04-29-2012, 07:26 AM

9,341 posts, read 24,680,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Here in Queens, our neighborhoods are used for mailing addresses (for example, 11 Queens Blvd, Long Island City, NY 11101). However, I know that it is different in many areas of the city.

How is your mail addressed to you? Does it go by New York, NY; Bronx, NY; etc? I'm told that some areas of Long Island use LI for their postal abbreviations.
This can be quite confusing, and most of that confusion is because the majority of addresses within New York City are other than "New York, NY" mailing address.

To make the geography of New York City much more more complicated than it need be, the U.S. Postal Service has divided the City of New York into 7+ postal cities: "New York, NY" (covers Manhattan and the Bronx); "Staten Island, NY"; "Brooklyn, NY" (covers most of Brooklyn and parts of northwest and southwest Queens); "Long Island City, NY" (most of the original Town of Newtown in Queens); "Flushing, NY" (includes all of the original Town of Flushing and parts of the Town of Newtown in Queens and also part of what was Town of Bushwick in Brooklyn); "Jamaica, NY" (most of the original Town of Jamaica in Queens and a small area in what was the East New York section of the Town of New Lots in Brooklyn); and, "Far Rockaway, NY" (in Queens).

Additionally, a few small areas in the Bronx are serviced by post offices located in Westchester County and hence have "Westchester" mailing addresses, such as "Yonkers, NY", "Pelham Manor, NY", etc.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida_boy View Post
I'm moving to LI over the summer and don't know what my address will be out there.

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 3 may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:57 AM

19,136 posts, read 32,666,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
This can be quite confusing, and most of that confusion is because the majority of addresses within New York City are other than "New York, NY" mailing address.

To make the geography of New York City much more more complicated than it need be, the U.S. Postal Service has divided the City of New York into 7+ postal cities: "New York, NY" (covers Manhattan and the Bronx); "Staten Island, NY"; "Brooklyn, NY" (covers most of Brooklyn and parts of northwest and southwest Queens); "Long Island City, NY" (most of the original Town of Newtown in Queens); "Flushing, NY" (includes all of the original Town of Flushing and parts of the Town of Newtown in Queens and also part of what was Town of Bushwick in Brooklyn); "Jamaica, NY" (most of the original Town of Jamaica in Queens and a small area in what was the East New York section of the Town of New Lots in Brooklyn); and, "Far Rockaway, NY" (in Queens).

Additionally, a few small areas in the Bronx are serviced by post offices located in Westchester County and hence have "Westchester" mailing addresses, such as "Yonkers, NY", "Pelham Manor, NY", etc.
They don't appreciate you on the LI forum Walter. Come over here with us.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-29-2012, 09:00 AM

8,389 posts, read 19,623,816 times
Quote:

To make the geography of New York City much more more complicated than it need be, the U.S. Postal Service has divided the City of New York into 7+ postal cities: "New York, NY" (covers Manhattan and the Bronx); .......
Maybe this explains why although I live in The Bronx ,I get mail addressed to NY,NY and NYC,NY as long as the correct zip code is on there ?

Old 04-29-2012, 10:46 AM

2,248 posts, read 6,038,222 times
Quote:

Very insightful, sir. Thank you.

The reason why I asked is because my friend, who also lives in Queens, gave her mailing address to me recently as "Kew Gardens, NY" instead of "Jamaica, NY" even though Kew Gardens does not have a dedicated postal zone in Queens.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Maybe this explains why although I live in The Bronx ,I get mail addressed to NY,NY and NYC,NY as long as the correct zip code is on there ?
Over the years, the USPS has sort of softened its stance and " ... as long as the correct zip code is on there ... " is now the important factor in mail getting delivered, regardless of the postal city or postal town listed as part of the address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or