U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2012, 04:23 PM

8,016 posts, read 9,079,405 times

Advertisements

^ I don't know about that, but
where do you lie in that percentage?
if you're not in the top 50%, what's
your hang-up?

..and you don't have to scream at me either.
I'm trying to learn something here, if
possible. you can't get something from
someone who does not have it, so make
sense out of that. it sounds like you want
50% of us to be slaves, and that makes no
sense whatsoever.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 04:34 PM

7,965 posts, read 16,791,256 times
Default The "Winfrey" rule

Proposed it on Politics and Other Controversies. Will do so here.

I wonder who would be in favor or opposed to it. The premise is simple. We've heard of the recently touted Buffett rule where all incomes over a million earned pay 30% of their income in taxes. No mention of spending cuts, so the amount of revenue raised will not touch the existing debt, which is estimated to grow over 22 trillion in the next 10 years. So I wonder what the intent of the legislation might be.... making the masses feel good that these 75-100k returns filed each year be taxed at a higher minimum rate?

So, let's extend the premise. I propose the "Winfrey Rule". This would apply to entertainers and athletes only. I say that all in the movie and sports businesses pay 80% of their income in taxes over 1 million dollars earned. After all, unlike business owners, who may create jobs and invest capital back into businesses, athletes and entertainers will use their $$ on other endeavors: Oscar red carpet parties, big booze bashes in downtown Manhattan and L.A. strip clubs, big cars, yachts, and the like. Profligate indulgence. Take away 80% of it, because, the government can use it more collectively to tend to the less fortunate.

What groups might be opposed to this legislation? Who would favor?

Comments welcomed!

Old 05-07-2012, 06:42 PM

1,567 posts, read 2,694,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post

I wonder who would be in favor or opposed to it. The premise is simple. We've heard of the recently touted Buffett rule where all incomes over a million earned pay 30% of their income in taxes. No mention of spending cuts, so the amount of revenue raised will not touch the existing debt, which is estimated to grow over 22 trillion in the next 10 years. So I wonder what the intent of the legislation might be.... making the masses feel good that these 75-100k returns filed each year be taxed at a higher minimum rate?

So, let's extend the premise. I propose the "Winfrey Rule". This would apply to entertainers and athletes only. I say that all in the movie and sports businesses pay 80% of their income in taxes over 1 million dollars earned. After all, unlike business owners, who may create jobs and invest capital back into businesses, athletes and entertainers will use their $$ on other endeavors: Oscar red carpet parties, big booze bashes in downtown Manhattan and L.A. strip clubs, big cars, yachts, and the like. Profligate indulgence. Take away 80% of it, because, the government can use it more collectively to tend to the less fortunate.

Comments welcomed!
thats so nice of you to be so generous with other people's money!

Old 05-07-2012, 07:00 PM

4,911 posts, read 6,828,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post

Comments welcomed!

Old 05-08-2012, 08:27 AM

15,237 posts, read 23,793,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I can't wait for the guy to be outta office, and I really dislike Christine Quinn as a mayor. She has been nothing but an obedient lap dog for the Bloomberg administration.
Voting for her would be like giving the current mayor a 4th term.
I strongly encourage New Yorkers not do so.

I ABSOLUTELY agree with this. having her for mayor will be like an extension of Bloomie.

Please, don't let this happen.

I so DO NOT want her for Mayor.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:37 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,648,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ I don't know about that, but
where do you lie in that percentage?
if you're not in the top 50%, what's
your hang-up?

..and you don't have to scream at me either.
I'm trying to learn something here, if
possible. you can't get something from
someone who does not have it, so make
sense out of that. it sounds like you want
50% of us to be slaves, and that makes no
sense whatsoever.
You clearly like mobile goal posts.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:15 AM

8,016 posts, read 9,079,405 times
^ whatever that means, but my opinion is the more you earn, the more you have to pay in income taxes to keep the government running. besides, it is national security that protects
you and your right to make more money. that should be a no-brainer. i mean how can the poor people afford to pay the most taxes and do the most dying for this country? that's stupid and unfair.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:40 PM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,648,766 times
"i mean how can the poor people afford to pay the most taxes"

They don't.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:47 AM

20,182 posts, read 26,480,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
"i mean how can the poor people afford to pay the most taxes"

Easy, the rich make the tax laws.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:29 PM

460 posts, read 512,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
i mean how can the poor people afford to pay the most taxes and do the most dying for this country?
They don't and they aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City