Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 02:36 PM

458 posts, read 616,193 times

Advertisements

I'm so ashamed that I haven't devoted my life to making money. Clearly I'm worthless and the happiness I feel in what I do isn't real since it doesn't make me much money.

Sarcasm aside, I also don't complain about the 1%. I could very easily have chosen to pursue that path and gone to business school and never been happy. I didn't - I chose the much less lucrative but more satisfying path. But that was my choice and if riches come in my current career then that's just gravy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 02:43 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,930 times
I don't know how old you are Jester but if you are young and living for yourself now its great to do what makes you happy.

See what its like when you have a family and would like to provide nicely for them...and nicely doesnt mean a duplex in the Trump Tower...it means a nice home, good schools, vacations, etc...and, at that point, see if you are so happy about not persuing some career that you are both happy at and can make good money..those are not mutually exclusive.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:14 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Instead of complaining about the 1%, what are YOU doing to become a 1%er, heck, even a 20%er at that?!

I am willing to bet YOU are not a 1% or even a 10%.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:02 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,255,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I am willing to bet YOU are not a 1% or even a 10%.
You are absolutely right. Do I wish I were...heck yeah! But what's wrong with inspiring to be one as Urabanlowlife rants about? I only own 1 building in the Bronx. You think owning 1 building puts you at Trump status? Nope. But my point is what wrong with dreaming big and having a desire to improve and expand? Why is it bad (according to Urbanlowlife) to want a second building? Why is it bad to have the desire to own all the buildings in the block? Why is it bad to have the desire to own all the buildings in the neighborhood? Urbanlowlife equates the desire to improve and obtain more wealth as being "greedy". And that's totally wrong. What wrong with wanting to provide for your family and leaving a legacy for your kids so they can be set it life? What is so wrong with that?

Old 05-18-2012, 02:43 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
tax the rich. the poor don't have enough to maintain america.
the rich have to keep the economy going and the jobs coming,
so others can get rich too.

..seems like pretty basic math to me.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:32 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,255,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
tax the rich. the poor don't have enough to maintain america.
the rich have to keep the economy going and the jobs coming,
so others can get rich too.

..seems like pretty basic math to me.
Yes of coarse...tax the rich so those tax dollars get allocated to increase their welfare checks and food stamps. Yes of coarse. That's the answer. SMH

Old 05-18-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
You are absolutely right. Do I wish I were...heck yeah! But what's wrong with inspiring to be one as Urabanlowlife rants about? I only own 1 building in the Bronx. You think owning 1 building puts you at Trump status? Nope. But my point is what wrong with dreaming big and having a desire to improve and expand? Why is it bad (according to Urbanlowlife) to want a second building? Why is it bad to have the desire to own all the buildings in the block? Why is it bad to have the desire to own all the buildings in the neighborhood? Urbanlowlife equates the desire to improve and obtain more wealth as being "greedy". And that's totally wrong. What wrong with wanting to provide for your family and leaving a legacy for your kids so they can be set it life? What is so wrong with that?

Nothing wrong with dreaming but demeaning others for not being rich when you yourself arent............Demonizing others who work hard but due to their limitations do so in low wage occupations.........

You arent Trump so stop behaving as if you are especially as no one who will rent in a Trump building will rent from you....it will be those same bottom 50% types who you demean who will.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Yes of coarse...tax the rich so those tax dollars get allocated to increase their welfare checks and food stamps. Yes of coarse. That's the answer. SMH

Well we have established the fcat that you arent rich and that your tenants are at best struggling middle class.

So why the pretense that you rent to the affluent and your building is the Trump Towers. The people who you rent to will be chased out of NYC if apartments become affordable. Those who are affluent will never rent from you.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:22 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Actually I have never ranted about you owning buildings....having a degree in architecture, I would actually like to get into being a landlord some day and own a few buildings, I would have no desire to become a big name developer or anything, but I would definitely take pleasure in owning a few buildings and tending to them. I am guessing you enjoy the same thing about your building or you wouldn't own them...but if you are saying your only reason for owning a building is hoping to become rich, then that is what I smh at because money is a biproduct of the things that make us happy not the only thing we should strive for.

If what you do makes you rich, then I am happy for you, but if the things you do don't make you rich, but you still love doing them, then I am also happy for you....I am confused why you seem to have such a hard time grasping this concept that not everyone wants to be rich, most of us just want to be happy doing what we are doing, and money wealth is just a biproduct...the "being rich" part comes from the enjoyment in what you do.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:25 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
We should ALL strive to be in the 1% and then the 99% category would be EMPTY.
(Hint: There's some subtle meaning there.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City