U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 07:18 AM

2,503 posts, read 3,641,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Why should Warren Buffet's next dollar be taxed at a substantially lower rate lower rate than his secretery's last dollar.
Why should Mitt Romney's next dollar (most at only 15%) be taxed at less than half the rate off a guy's selling him peanuts on a street corner who pays more than 15% in Employment taxes alone...and THEN all the other income taxes are piled on.
Why? Because these people you mentioned provide employment for others. The government gives them incentives in hiring people.

Though you may not agree with it because you are an employee, the fact remains that the more you tax the businesses, the less opportunity for employment. Its that simple. Look it up. Businesses are job creators. They put people to work. Without businesses, we would be in deep ish.

I know it sounds unfair but thats the reality of the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 04:19 PM

7,402 posts, read 5,894,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
My vote goes for Ray Kelly if he were to run. Hope he does. Quinn, De Blasio, and Thomas all blow and would undo any progress Guilliani and Bloomberg have done.

While I agree with you about DeBlasio, and Stringer, Kelly is a nonstarter. What does he know about running a city? While I lknow you appluad his "harrass every young black and hispanic kid in the City" so his stats can perpetrate a myth that he is solving crime. This when his own stats show increased crime even as he increases irresponsible frisks. BTW not every frisk is irresponsible so dont try to hide behinmd a pretense that I am 100% opposed to frisks.

The business community better find a guy who actually has credibility if they want to protect the City from the clowns. Bil Thompson actually works inj the private sector though his problem is he doesnt know whether he wants to be mayor. He is also a wimp. Quinn doesnt know the first thing about NYC outside of Manhattan, nor does she care.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i dont see that at all.

97.5% of all the income taxes paid in the country are paid by only 50% of the population. those that complain the most pay the least or nothing at all.

The myth that the poorest 45% pay no taxes has been exploded long ago They pay sales tax and Medicare/SS taxes., as well a slocal taxes in many cases.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Why? Because these people you mentioned provide employment for others. .
Another myth. What jobs do trust fund kids and hedge fund guys provide. The small businessman pays INCOME tax. Now why should a guy who owns real estate pay higher taxes on his rental income than a hedge fund sguy on his? And why are you hostile to the way that income was taxed under Ronal Reagan? Correct me if I am wrong but incomke taxes on unearned income was HIGHER under Reagan than it is today. Yet there was way more job creation under Reagan and Clinton than there was under George Bush where we saw the economy losing more than 700k jobs/month at the end of his reign.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:42 PM

70,883 posts, read 71,245,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
The myth that the poorest 45% pay no taxes has been exploded long ago They pay sales tax and Medicare/SS taxes., as well a slocal taxes in many cases.
we are talking income tax.... we all pay sales tax and medicare taxes but we all dont pay income tax and thats my gripe. i worked in one of the poorest areas in brooklyn last year. everyone had cell phones, ipads and lottery tickets. you cant tell me they cant pay 100 bucks a year in income taxes.

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-28-2012 at 05:22 PM..

Old 04-28-2012, 04:58 PM

4,925 posts, read 7,058,287 times
Really the thread title should read "tax the middle class".

Old 04-28-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Another myth. What jobs do trust fund kids and hedge fund guys provide. The small businessman pays INCOME tax. Now why should a guy who owns real estate pay higher taxes on his rental income than a hedge fund sguy on his? And why are you hostile to the way that income was taxed under Ronal Reagan? Correct me if I am wrong but incomke taxes on unearned income was HIGHER under Reagan than it is today. Yet there was way more job creation under Reagan and Clinton than there was under George Bush where we saw the economy losing more than 700k jobs/month at the end of his reign.
trust fund kids have to invest that trust money in order to live off of any off it .. thats good for all markets and our 401k's which benefit all levels of income. in a country that is rooted with 70% of its gdp in consumer spending those nice trust accounts can sure buy lots of stuff and that sure help all our busineses.

im selling electrical supplies and lighting to a contractor re-doing the guest house of a beautiful riverhead home owned by just one of those kids . it sure is a shot in the arm for our business and the contractors and our suppliers. so far over 1 mile of electrical wiring went in this house.. the electricians providing the labor would dispute your doubting that jobs were not created.

in fact over 80% of all the wealth in our financial markets comes from the top 22% of the wealthiest folks some are those trust fund kids..

hedge fund managers are a unique breed that do fall into a wierd tax structure but heck if they are driving the markets upward with their investing more power to them.. whats good for them benefits my up coming retirement.

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-28-2012 at 05:31 PM..

Old 04-28-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Really the thread title should read "tax the middle class".
more like upper middle class and higher but i still agree

Old 04-28-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
reaganomics had nothing to do with income tax rates. it was huge gov't deficit spending on infrastructure to creat jobs. key word deficit. in one year from carter to reagan gov't spending jumped from 560 billion to 990 billion.

discussing tax rates and reaganomics are apples to oranges.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:04 PM

46,054 posts, read 29,429,799 times
Quote:
Why? Because these people you mentioned provide employment for others. The government gives them incentives in hiring people.

Though you may not agree with it because you are an employee, the fact remains that the more you tax the businesses, the less opportunity for employment. Its that simple. Look it up. Businesses are job creators. They put people to work. Without businesses, we would be in deep ish.

I know it sounds unfair but thats the reality of the matter.
So all those tax breaks that the wealthy have gotten to enjoy over the past ten years, hoe many people were hired compared to how many were laid off during that time? The idea of taxing the rich less so they hire more people never pans out in real life. Then of course you have guys like Romney who get to enjoy lower taxes while his money is making him more money in interest....that interest ain't hiring anybody, it is just making sure Romney enjoys getting more rich while he has fun running for president.

Oh and electing a head of police never goes well and at best it goes mediocre. Also, the use of ticket quotas should be illegal, especially when police should be in business to serve and protect, not run a money laundering business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City