U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 09:07 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,537,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So all those tax breaks that the wealthy have gotten to enjoy over the past ten years, hoe many people were hired compared to how many were laid off during that time? The idea of taxing the rich less so they hire more people never pans out in real life. Then of course you have guys like Romney who get to enjoy lower taxes while his money is making him more money in interest....that interest ain't hiring anybody, it is just making sure Romney enjoys getting more rich while he has fun running for president.

Oh and electing a head of police never goes well and at best it goes mediocre. Also, the use of ticket quotas should be illegal, especially when police should be in business to serve and protect, not run a money laundering business.

Spoken like a true bleeding heart liberal. Smh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 09:15 PM

46,054 posts, read 28,429,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Guess pointing out the obvious makes me a liberal...so am I wrong, did those tax cuts provide more jobs? Did they provide more jobs that the number of people that were laid off? Was there any benefit that came from reducing taxes from an era when we were actually making a surplus and paying off the debt? I thought conservatives loved paying off debts, but never seem to want to pay their part in them....guess you speak like a true blind conservative...smh.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:24 AM

65,164 posts, read 66,649,981 times
tax cuts arent always measured in terms of gaining jobs.

in fact many times its not about creating more jobs ,tax cuts are an employers reward for creating any jobs. layoffs have nothing to do with tax cuts or not. layoffs are for keeping a business healthy and productive in downturns .

until you can outlaw the business cycle one thing has nothing to do with the other in a major way.. wouldnt it be great if a tax cut could turn a failing business into a successful one.

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-29-2012 at 03:59 AM..

Old 04-29-2012, 05:10 AM

think of your own family life . because you may have gotten that stimulous check back at the height of the financial crises did it really influence anything in your own family? especially if you took a pay cut?

of course it didnt and tax cuts during downturns have the same effect .

while it may help a teeny weeny bit overall you arent going to get much bang for the buck.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:08 AM

2,898 posts, read 4,955,289 times
Quote:
Is that your argument?

it's so insulting to call someone a liberal.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:18 AM

2,898 posts, read 4,955,289 times
Tax the rich. Roll back the bush tax cuts for the top 5%.
Any household making more than 250k can afford to pay in more taxes. The fact of the matter is that the U.S. has one of the lowest income tax rates of the developed world.
Rich people game the system in all kinds of ways. From generating more money through investments that are taxed at a lower rate than the income tax to stashing money in in tax havens in foreign accounts.
The mantra of the job Creators that some gullible people like to believe is just pure silliness.
It's actually sad when middle or working class people defend tax cuts for the very wealthy.

Probably they've been sold idea that they too, one day, could be at the top and wouldn't like to be taxed like that.
Sad but unfortunately true.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:45 AM

2,503 posts, read 3,537,891 times
250K household income threshold is too low. To be fair, someone earning 1 million+ sounds more reasonable.

But then the question begs to be asked...where would those extra tax dollars get allocated to? Chances are those tax dollars get allocated to fund programs such as Section 8 and Welfare with Obama in office who's been proclaimed as the "Welfare President". I don't want my hard earned tax dollars being used to support lazy, under achieving Section 8/Welfare receipiants. It does a disservice to them.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:23 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,308,647 times
One can't only look at taxes as income taxes. It's an extremely simplistic way of looking at things. Especially in a place such as NYC where there are so many taxes, fees, surcharges, etc.

NYC doesn't really tax the poor. In fact, it's a great place for the poor. You couldn't find a better place for the poor in the US.

NYC squeezes the middle class to pay the poor and the wealthy. There's no disputing it because this has been the game in NYC for a while now. Yes, people who make 200k are still the middle class in the scheme of things in NYC.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:25 AM

46,054 posts, read 28,429,938 times
Quote:
250K household income threshold is too low. To be fair, someone earning 1 million+ sounds more reasonable.

But then the question begs to be asked...where would those extra tax dollars get allocated to? Chances are those tax dollars get allocated to fund programs such as Section 8 and Welfare with Obama in office who's been proclaimed as the "Welfare President". I don't want my hard earned tax dollars being used to support lazy, under achieving Section 8/Welfare receipiants. It does a disservice to them.
Well, if that's the case, why do we have a government to begin with. Why not just get rid of all taxes and see what happens, sound lke a great idea!!!!....I didn't like Bush spending my tax dollars on two pointless wars, welcome to the club buddy...smh.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:

1 million is about right.. 250k is a typical professional or professional couple income.

after the amt is done with you and state and local taxes about a good 35-40% is gone..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City