U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 05:41 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,524,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Generally its not money thats the root of all evil, its lack of money.
So so TRUE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 05:46 PM

64,766 posts, read 66,247,630 times
i edited and had alot more to say if you didnt see it hilltop.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Generally its not money thats the root of all evil, its lack of money.

the problem is by the time most folks realize just how important it is to be financially strong its usually to late to undo the damage. as you get closer and closer to retirement you begin to realize just how much dough a successful retirement will take unless you want to live the life of a dumpster diver or live whats left in your life doing everything on the cheap and never being able to do the things you wanted to do.

financially most folks drift like a cork in water. they never make things happen in their life, they are never in control. they have no stratagy ,no goal , no plan.

then they complain they have no money, everything is a scam and those with money are keeping them down.

its the same excuse repeated over and over . they just dont get it that they comitted their own financial suicide much of the time.

i write so many articles trying to teach pre-retirees about planning and structuring for retirement. so many are just to far gone because they never cared and never took an interest.
The core problem is these people who complain are not financially educated. Many don't know what a financial statement is let alone how to read one. Since they don't teach that in school, you have to take it upon yourself to self teach yourself or enroll in some kind of class/coarse.

We all know money makes the world go round. We need money to make more money, that's why having good credit is sooooo important so you can be credit worthy to the banks.

While it's good to have good grades in school, last time I checked, banks don't ask you for your report card, they ask you for your financial statement. And again, if you don't know what a financial statement is, if you don't know what is a liability or what is an asset, then you are at a HUGE disadvantage. And then the excuses begin and finger pointing.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:28 PM

people fail financially more ofton than not because they have no interest in learning or committing to getting smarter about what they dont know..

folks know more about their car or refrigerator than about investing ,planning and keeping themselves financially sound.

i look at the folks in my own company. they blindly copy each others 401k choices. no rhyme,no reason no plan.

then they bail when things dip and lose money and blame everything and everyone for their loss.

there are no bad markets, only bad planning.

its like its much easier not to take time and effort to learn anything and easier to just float again like that cork to wherever life takes you.

their lives are just built on one excuse after another eventually.

the greatest resource anyone who has little money when they are young is time... you dont need a lot of money to end up with a nice sum decades later. you just need to learn.

the most powerful force is compounding in investing.

wealth in this country is created not by the little we save from our pay checks . its created by capital gains on the money we do manage to save and invest.

it eventually gets to the point where in an up year we can make more in our investments then both our pay checks together . i started with zero as a kid but i had time on my side and learned early on about investing it and growing it and i never stopped learning even today.

now all my effort is in learning tax planning for when we retire in 2 years or so.. the learning never stops to be successful.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
the learning never stops to be successful.

Well said.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:52 PM

You can hear crickets...lol. All this talk about finances is over people's head. Smh. That's actually quite sad but indicative of the person's mindset and priorities. And then you wonder why they're getting paid minimum wage, flipping burgers and then complain the RENT IS TOO DAMN HIGH...lol. SMH

Old 04-30-2012, 07:06 PM

2,777 posts, read 2,914,121 times
I work for a millionaire, and I'm a hundreds of thousands of dollars-a-naire as a result.

If one honestly and ethically obtains riches, there is no wrong in it.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:29 PM

46,054 posts, read 28,292,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
You can hear crickets...lol. All this talk about finances is over people's head. Smh. That's actually quite sad but indicative of the person's mindset and priorities. And then you wonder why they're getting paid minimum wage, flipping burgers and then complain the RENT IS TOO DAMN HIGH...lol. SMH
If oh are referring to me, I have been packing all day and selling my car, so I haven't had any time to pay attention what has been going on in here...which you clearly didn't answer my question...figured you wouldn't anyways.

Yes, I agree future planning is very important and people need to plan for retirement. Though it is tough when people are trying just to keep their heads above water, surviving on limited incomes, it is human nature to worry about the present when people are struggling.

Lack of money always creates issues because we have created a society that lives off money, people rarely grow their own food and provide their light from candle light, so we all have to depend on someone else and that all costs money.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:52 AM

yep ,money makes the world go round. those who dont have a plan for elevating their net worth and income are in for a pretty rough ride that only grows worse as time goes on.

i bet no one claiming to have little money to save or invest ever figured out how much they could have saved with what they spent on their cell phone with lost compounding.
even if you dont have one there are millions in your position who do and cry they have no money.

there arent many choices in life one can have or make when you dont have money but one choice you do have is to be creative and to have the willingness and mindset to learn how to do better financially.

whether you chose to or just complain is up to you. like they say you can be part of the problem or you can be part of the solution, its your choice.

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-01-2012 at 04:12 AM..

Old 05-01-2012, 04:12 AM

1,464 posts, read 2,632,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
Yep, that's Bloombergs NYC.

They've established "ticket quotas" for the cops. So, they scour the neighborhood looking to cite people for "open containers." They stop and frisk scores of young men of color, teaching them disrespect for the law.

I'm sure it suits those "police" who signed on for a nice civil service job. Not so much those who wanted to be real lawmen, busting bad guys. Not too long ago, the NYT ran a story about the 42nd in the Bronx. They had ticket quotas. Some obediently went along. Others did not. There were incidents where the good cops (by my lights) took the glorified meter maids lockers out into the shower room and soaked them with water. Not nice, I guess...you ever work a job where those who kissed the bosses behind got ahead, and those who simply worked hard got demoted?

Here's another example. They'll take away the public trash cans from a corner. Then, along come the sanitation police, citing the local businesses for accumulated trash...unsanitary conditions...yadda yadda. Like, they dumped all that crap themselves?

These are small business owners. Those fines are a mean hit on em. Often, they're serving the neighborhood by providing fresh veggies. So, they get fined? For something they're not responsible for?

And, the eminent domain abuse? NYU? Columbia? Willets Point? The list goes on.

Michael Bloomberg is not the worst guy in the world. I think he means well. But, he's a rich quillionaire and really doesn't relate to working class folk.

I have hopes that the Heir Apparent, Christine Quinn, will be better. I like her support of the living wage for workers on city subsidized projects...um, with some exceptions. What can you say? Politics is the art of the possible; the perfect is the enemy of the good.

That's what I feel, think, whatever. How about you all?
Come live in Connecticut! We have our moments here but certainly a far cry from the above. I think the most aggrevating thing going on in our city is that the "city fathers" make the strangest decisions on which streets to repave. About 4 years ago, I contacted the powers that be with an issue about huge pot holes on our street out here in suburbia. I was bottoming out when entering our driveway. They informed me that there was no money in the budget to fix our street. We are out in the "country" so to speak, not inner city at all. Well, I go down our hill into the inner city and they are tearing up a street for repair not a mile from our home. Go figure! Here it is once again another year has gone by and we are still bottoming out entering our driveway.

NYC is a great place to visit but all the issues would drive me mad. If I can't tolerate a lumpy bumpy road then how in the blue blazes would I ever tolerate the city? Like I said, choose a great CT city and there are some, and come join the "country fun"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City