Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 05:34 AM

10 posts, read 11,200 times

Advertisements

Hello, everybody.
I'm a new member of this forum and I have a question.
In two months I'm coming from Europe to NYC and I'm looking for a neighborhood to live in.
One of the options might be to commute between New Jersey side (i.e. Edgewater) and Manhattan (i.e. Times Square), so I was wondering how much time it would take and what would my transportation options be (car is excluded).
I still don't have a job, so I randomly chose aforementioned spots.
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 09:54 AM

5,515 posts, read 8,733,901 times
From Edgewater, most likley you'd either take a bus into Port Authority at 42nd St and 8the ave, which would take about an hour, or a ferry across the Hudson into the ferry terminal on 39th st and the Hudson, which might be quicker, but more expensive, and certainly in the winter, much colder! Driving into the city from NJ during rush hours is to be avoided if at all possible.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:58 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,804,080 times
Why are you coming over with no job?

Old 05-07-2012, 03:22 PM

Thanks for the info. Sounds like too long travel by bus and I don’t like the idea of ferry. I realize that bus goes through Lincoln tunnel, and I thought that there might be some acceptable option with Washington Bridge. Seems that it’s not the case.

My family was selected in diversity visa program and we have obtained immigrant visas.
We are obliged to enter USA in July.
Both, my wife and I, are looking for jobs, but we still didn't found anything.
She is an architect, and I am IT/IS auditor. We think that we should be able to find jobs soon.
If we had even one job location it would be easier to select preferred neighborhood, but we still cannot do that.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:42 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,804,080 times
Both those jobs are in demand so finding a job shouldn't take long.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:12 AM

I really hope so. It would be great if at least one of us could find a job before coming to NYC.
My wife has doctorate degree earned in prestige international art academy in Frankfurt, Germany and work experience in Italy and Serbia. I have significant experience in one of big4 audit companies in Serbia and international certificates relevant for IT/IS audit.
On the other hand, we have 8 months old baby and nobody to go to in NYC. This leaves us with short period of time to find jobs if we want to make it in the USA.

We have explored this forum and it was great help to get acquainted with the city and to collect information from the people who actually live there. Both of us have already visited NYC twice, each time for two weeks, but one thing is tourist view of the city and something completely different is living there.
We checked some of the Queens and Brooklyn neighborhoods (and also Washington Heights), but we also wanted to check NJ side and to see if it is possible to cut down our expenses. Manhattan is too expensive for us.
Looks like we are going to drop the idea of NJ side as well.
This leaves us with Queens as our first choice.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:38 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,960,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Marzik View Post
Hello, everybody.
I'm a new member of this forum and I have a question.
In two months I'm coming from Europe to NYC and I'm looking for a neighborhood to live in.
One of the options might be to commute between New Jersey side (i.e. Edgewater) and Manhattan (i.e. Times Square), so I was wondering how much time it would take and what would my transportation options be (car is excluded).
I still don't have a job, so I randomly chose aforementioned spots.
Thanks in advance

Plenty of buses from many lines down River Road all with one destination: Port Authority Bus Terminal, a block from Times Square. Service of a couple of the lines is 24 hours.

If you are on the Edgewater waterfront, your trip can be between 15 minutes and an hour depending on the traffic through the Lincoln Tunnel which can vary from LIGHT to ARMAGEDDON!

Old 05-08-2012, 01:40 PM

Are there any rules?
I suppose that "armageddon" occures during rush hours...start and end of working hours...right?
Any other specific part of the day with heavy traffic through tunnel?
Thanks.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:41 PM

5 posts, read 12,515 times
Smile Edgwater

I lived in Edgewater for 11 years and love it because of its close location to the city. There is a direct bus that goes from River Road to Manhattan across the George Washington Bridge. Much shorter commute, about 30 minutes with morning traffic, and you can get right on the express train once you reach Manhattan. It's a beautiful town with a great elementary school.

I also grew up in Washington Heights. There are many lovely neighborhoods, I would recommend staying west of Broadway and north of 168 street.

Congratulations on getting your visas, and welcome to your new life!

Old 05-09-2012, 09:42 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,960,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Marzik View Post
Are there any rules?
I suppose that "armageddon" occures during rush hours...start and end of working hours...right?
Any other specific part of the day with heavy traffic through tunnel?
Thanks.

No precise "rules." Yes, rush hour is usually heavy sometimes much worse than that. But cars can break down, or have accidents, they some close tubes for maintenance, there's some sort of frequent "police action."
Port Authority always assumes everyone stays home on Sunday (like they maybe did in 1953) so the tunnels are truncated and some Sunday evenings you can easily drop an hour trying to grind through the 1.5 miles that is the Lincoln Tunnel. And then traffic blocks up for a half mile on all the streets approaching the tunnel. They open and close entrances just for the fun of it...to show you who's boss.
Sometimes you see a traffic jam at 57th Street on Ninth Avenue that you know are cars trying to enter the tunnel at 39th.

The PATH train (at Herald Square) makes a lot more sense a lot of the time but that is for those living in Jersey City or Hoboken...both smart choices BTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City