Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 11:26 PM

51 posts, read 164,885 times

Advertisements

I'm an art student, and once I finish up school, I'm thinking about moving to NYC, mostly likely somewhere in Queens. From what I've seen, majority of the creative job opportunities are in NYC and California, but I have family in Brooklyn and Queens; so that’s why I’m leaning more towards the east coast.

The thing is, because of college, my credit report is basically a list of student loans. I get a stomachache just looking at it. I've been doing some research on finding apartments when you have bad credit, but I can't find anything specific to New York. Based on what I’ve read so far, finding an apartment in NYC can be a hassle, and I’m worried having bad credit will make that hunt even more stressful, if not impossible. I don't plan on making any moves for 3 to 4 years, though; so, hopefully I will be regularly paying off these loans, by then.

Would a broke college grad have any chance of finding an apartment in Queens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 07:28 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
A good job will go a long way to counteractig a bad credit report. No job and bad credit will likely need a lease co-signer.

So it's in 3 or 4 years you will begin the apartment search? Where will you be living/working in the meantime? Or still in school making the loan balances even bigger.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
A good job will go a long way to counteractig a bad credit report. No job and bad credit will likely need a lease co-signer.

So it's in 3 or 4 years you will begin the apartment search? Where will you be living/working in the meantime? Or still in school making the loan balances even bigger.
I'll be living at home here in Kansas while I'm save up money. I have about around 1 1/2 years left for school; so the plan currently is to work and save up money for tuition, finish up school, then save up money for the move. Right now I have a part-time job at a gym snack bar and I'll be starting a job with Microsoft in a month. So, I'll have 2 jobs to save up money, although I'm not sure if I can balance 2 jobs when I go back to school.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:41 PM

877 posts, read 2,012,140 times
I would say find an apartment where you will have a roommate first or rent, get a job and when you are making good money, buy your own apartment. That's the way it works for most people. I don't think they check your credit reports when you rent (unless it's some co-op).

Old 04-29-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki0417 View Post
I'll be living at home here in Kansas while I'm save up money. I have about around 1 1/2 years left for school; so the plan currently is to work and save up money for tuition, finish up school, then save up money for the move. Right now I have a part-time job at a gym snack bar and I'll be starting a job with Microsoft in a month. So, I'll have 2 jobs to save up money, although I'm not sure if I can balance 2 jobs when I go back to school.

With the Microsoft job (congratulations), I'm sure you can deep six the snack bar and concentrate more on your schooling and still save a bundle.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
With the Microsoft job (congratulations), I'm sure you can deep six the snack bar and concentrate more on your schooling and still save a bundle.
Thank you! I was pretty hesitant about giving up the snack job because of the perks that come with it (free gym membership). Although, I guess I could afford to buy a membership with the money I get from Microsoft.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:29 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,903,909 times
If you're gonna work for M$ in KS, why would you wanna move to NYC?
You better off staying there and saving as much money as you can, as I'm sure the COL is much lower there.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki0417 View Post
Thank you! I was pretty hesitant about giving up the snack job because of the perks that come with it (free gym membership). Although, I guess I could afford to buy a membership with the money I get from Microsoft.

I'm surprised Microsoft doesn't have a gym on site.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:10 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
If you're gonna work for M$ in KS, why would you wanna move to NYC?
You better off staying there and saving as much money as you can, as I'm sure the COL is much lower there.
This.

However a friend (originally from NY) was living in Wichita and couldn't wait to escape and is now back in NY for the time being until he has to move to CA for his job in 6 months. So I could see why someone in KS would not want to stay there, but like others said, a job in Microsoft is next to impossible to come by. I would stick it out where you are for now instead of worrying about moving here. (Unless your job can be done from home).

But to answer your question, yes it is possible to get an apartment with bad credit, I just did it this month. The catch is you HAVE to have a good job for at least 6 months or a co-signer. The other catch is you might have to put up extra for deposit, say a few months to a year upfront.

Your best bet will be to find an apartment in a house instead of a building. Your standard landlord in a house will be more willing to work with you than a building management company. Also, you can do it through a broker, I had better luck with brokers than on my own. (Even though one had the nerve to tell me no one would rent to me with my credit, she turned out to be very wrong, thus I didn't get my apt through her, but a different broker).

Hope that helps.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:35 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,306 times
It sounds like you don't actually have BAD credit, you just don't have much credit. Are there negative marks on your report? If not, then as long as you have a job, you should be ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City