U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 12:43 PM

3 posts, read 4,237 times

Advertisements

Hi ladies and gents

I have been offered a package to relocate to NYC after spending a few months working for an international firm.

As stated I have worked for a few months in Manhattan and I have pretty much adjusted to the life-style...

My problem is this :

I barely know anyone in the city. After spending 25 years in Africa I am making the Journey across the Atlantic. I have read-up on a couple of measures to meet people (meetup.com) etc. I intend on going full-out in order to meet as many people as possible. So I thought I should extend that invitation here.

If anyone would like to have a drink with me sometime then send me a private message. Im looking for friends so your sex/ethnicity really doesnt matter.

If anyone has any other suggestions then please feel free to post in the thread.

Yes I know it might be odd posting this on here. But hey...nothing ventured nothing gained.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 12:50 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,532,959 times
I think most people - New Yorkers, anyway - would be unlikely to connect with someone just from a general internet forum. However, your idea of the meet-up groups is good. Check out other non-internet possibilities as well - churches, classes, clubs, networking groups.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:16 PM

2,350 posts, read 3,335,993 times
yes, I agree with Cida...

I fully recommend meetup.com. I'm in groups related to my interests but there are several on there that are for people that are "new to the city" and what not. Lots of groups for meeting new people over drinks, dinner, random outings, etc.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:22 PM

3 posts, read 4,237 times
Thanks. I have already an event planned for a week from today!

Old 04-30-2012, 11:28 PM

3,245 posts, read 4,173,360 times
If you're looking for kindred spirits:
NY NJ SPRINGBOK CLUB

South African in New York, South African expats living in New York

Old 11-08-2013, 05:10 AM

3 posts, read 2,551 times
Hi Joburger

I am currently living in Joburg and working for one of the big corporate firms. I am actively trying to make plans to move to NYC at teh end of next year upon my admission as an attorney. I hold a law degree and a masters in law from the University of Cape Town.

Do you have any advice on how I can go about in order to get there? I am still young, 24, and therefore do not have a lot of work experience as I am a recent graduate. Advice that I have received so far is to go do a masters at one of the universities that side and I seriously considering that as an option - the only problem is that its so expensive and my savings is too small for that.

Do you perhaps have any advice or would you by any chance know someone or a contact at a firm that I could possibly contact for an opportunity.

I look forwrad to hearing from you.

Many thanks and kind regards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City