U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 07:59 AM

173 posts, read 355,003 times

Advertisements

Hi I have already been through the initial nycha process and interview. On the last moment of my interview the lady informed me that it takes up to 3 weeks to 3 months to get back a response. i recieved the outreach program for the bronx and they had 4 pre selected developments to pick and i picked mitchel houses. i also had to fill out a document stating why i am behind on my rent. so since the interview 4/10/2012 i have not heard from them. how long does the outreach program usually take. and what am i waiting to recieve from them now. also does anyone know if mitchel houses in the bronx has a long waiting list. thank you
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 08:54 AM

2,503 posts, read 3,520,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinigirl568 View Post
Hi I have already been through the initial nycha process and interview. On the last moment of my interview the lady informed me that it takes up to 3 weeks to 3 months to get back a response. i recieved the outreach program for the bronx and they had 4 pre selected developments to pick and i picked mitchel houses. i also had to fill out a document stating why i am behind on my rent. so since the interview 4/10/2012 i have not heard from them. how long does the outreach program usually take. and what am i waiting to recieve from them now. also does anyone know if mitchel houses in the bronx has a long waiting list. thank you
I think your best bet is to move down south where you can get more bang for your buck. If you're on Section 8, did you know that you can use the section 8 voucher in all 50 states? Something to look into. A lot of poor people in NY are realizing by moving out of state, that they are able to provide a better quality of life for themselves and children. Don't have the mindset that you HAVE to stay in NY. Go on craigslist and look elsewhere. You'd be surprised how much cheaper rent is elsewhere.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 5,621 times
Well i have read your reply and i see i like this yes it can be cheeper why should people have to leave they neck of the woods just to have some place to live because i have Lived out of town twice and it is not all cracked up to be what every one makes it to be and even though you have a greater chance to get some thing but now there are other things u need a car because every thing is far so if u dont drive your ****ed up and to me i would say moving out of new york is not the best thing to do i am all so waiting for a apartment but at the moment my self and my children sit hear waiting in a shelter and i am all so waiting for and outreach to get back to me

Old 05-01-2012, 11:15 PM

14,795 posts, read 17,410,399 times
Quote:
Mitchel houses is horrible like allow of the other housing pj's in mott haven. The only benefit of that housing development is that its right next to the subway one stop from Manhattan so that those poor residents have to work for their wealthy masters. Mitchell does has some betances developments which at onetime was not as bad but are quickly going down the toilet due to other poor hoodratz moving in from Brooklyn, Harlem and the heights into betances developments.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 05-01-2012 at 11:30 PM..

Old 05-02-2012, 12:44 AM

5,473 posts, read 9,193,791 times
Quote:
Which were the 3 other developments? If you don't mind me asking... just curious.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjade39 View Post
Well i have read your reply and i see i like this yes it can be cheeper why should people have to leave they neck of the woods just to have some place to live because i have Lived out of town twice and it is not all cracked up to be what every one makes it to be and even though you have a greater chance to get some thing but now there are other things u need a car because every thing is far so if u dont drive your ****ed up and to me i would say moving out of new york is not the best thing to do i am all so waiting for a apartment but at the moment my self and my children sit hear waiting in a shelter and i am all so waiting for and outreach to get back to me
Holy run-on sentence batman. My face started turning blue trying to read it in one breath. Lol

Very indicative of your education level though. I suggest you go back to school and brush up on your english so you can be more presentable and marketable to an employer. You're probably living in a shelter because you have poor interviewing skills.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:13 AM

8,750 posts, read 15,555,711 times
Things have to be pretty dire for someone to choose to live in the Mitchell Houses, and the fact that she is currently behind on rent tells me her options are limited. If I had a section 8 voucher I would definitely consider transfering to another state and at least trying to live somewhere better and start over. The worst that happens is that you come back and go right back into the Mitchell Houses...trust me...those projects ain't going anywhere anytime soon. They will be here when you get back!

Old 05-02-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Things have to be pretty dire for someone to choose to live in the Mitchell Houses, and the fact that she is currently behind on rent tells me her options are limited. If I had a section 8 voucher I would definitely consider transfering to another state and at least trying to live somewhere better and start over. The worst that happens is that you come back and go right back into the Mitchell Houses...trust me...those projects ain't going anywhere anytime soon. They will be here when you get back!
Leaving the state is the best option for her and her child. Could get so much more for your buck down south.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:36 PM

8,016 posts, read 9,067,308 times
^ why don't you move, mr. big bucks?

Old 05-02-2012, 12:43 PM

1,746 posts, read 3,422,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjade39 View Post
It will be hard even outside the city, but if you are careful about where you go then you'll come out ahead for both you and your child. If you live in the Bronx and send your kid to public school there -- then you are basically sentencing your him or her to the same hardships you have faced and perhaps even worse. Most of the troubled public schools in NYC *at best* set up the students to be low skilled, low paid workers -- such as security guards, janitors, and food service workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City