U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 07:09 PM

100 posts, read 133,243 times

Advertisements

^^^Yup pretty much sums it up.
I gross $50,000
$7,500 tips.
Additional $1,500 in tips throughout the year.
$500 company bonus.
Free turkey for Thanksgiving
You get paid out whatever sick days you don't use
Same goes with vacation.
Plenty of overtime.
Holiday Pay.
2 clinic days
2 personal days.
Great benefits.
Its a safe job, you don't have to worry about getting let go.

I would go on equityapartments.com under careers to look for positions.
Also indeed.com
Apply for porter and doorman positions. Both the same pay besides tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 07:16 PM

18,242 posts, read 11,653,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
NYC's current breadknot population (i.e. the suburban techbros, their iStepford wives, and both their little douche rockets (strollers) would rather they die off and only have to interact with the virtual doormen.
Chief beef with doormen is that by virtue of their job duties they know everything about the comings and goings of building residents. Some put doormen in the same class as chambermaids; nosey and gossips thus want to live in a building without.

One of the large reasons so many well off to very wealthy families have moved out of "white glove" or whatever buildings to townhouses or any of the non doorman buildings in Chelsea, West Village, Tribeca, Soho and whatever is the perceived privacy obtained by not having someone screen you and your guests comings and goings. You notice large numbers of celebrities live "down town" in such buildings or have purchased townhouses.

Problem is unless you have full time staff at home to take deliveries what to do when Fresh Direct, the laundry, dry cleaning, UPS and other deliveries/collections. Enter virtual doormen which claims to solve that problem. In some buildings however they have doormen only for limited hours which is usually one eight hour shift during the day (830AM to 430PM say) and even then only M-F. This takes care of service deliveries and packages but also means door staff is gone during the hours when family is likely to be home.

P.S. Be it as a cost saving measure or whatever reasons many buildings on the UES, UWS and elsewhere are eliminating overnight (11-7 or 12m to 8) doormen.

New York City is much safer today than in past so the idea you need fortress like door security 24/7 is balanced against cost and other factors. As one friend of mine put it "am quite capable of opening a door myself"....

Old 10-24-2015, 07:22 PM

2,138 posts, read 2,156,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Chief beef with doormen is that by virtue of their job duties they know everything about the comings and goings of building residents. Some put doormen in the same class as chambermaids; nosey and gossips thus want to live in a building without.
Not to denigrate anybody but doorman can be complete Aholes. The fact that they have a union job often relates to them doing the bare minimum because they know they won't be fired. They become fake AZZ whiners during the holidays then back to being Aholes on JAN 2.

If you are super rich and tip them well they will do anything for you but otherwise no money no love.

The worst part is they HATE YOU. They hate seeing you come back from vacations. They HATE seeing you drive off in a nice car. They HATE seeing you receive packages. They sit there day in day out looking at your fabulous life while reading the NY Post from dawn until dusk.

I have had doormen who sneer at me every time I walk out the door or look me up and down in disgust when I dress up.

Every now and then a good one comes along but leaves way too soon.

Otherwise I can open my own door. That would save me way over $1500 at Xmas time.

I grew up and lived in doorman buildings my entire life.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Not to denigrate anybody but doorman can be complete Aholes. The fact that they have a union job often relates to them doing the bare minimum because they know they won't be fired. They become fake AZZ whiners during the holidays then back to being Aholes on JAN 2.

If you are super rich and tip them well they will do anything for you but otherwise no money no love.

The worst part is they HATE YOU. They hate seeing you come back from vacations. They HATE seeing you drive off in a nice car. They HATE seeing you receive packages. They sit there day in day out looking at your fabulous life while reading the NY Post from dawn until dusk.

I have had doormen who sneer at me every time I walk out the door or look me up and down in disgust when I dress up.

Every now and then a good one comes along but leaves way too soon.

Otherwise I can open my own door. That would save me way over $1500 at Xmas time.

I grew up and lived in doorman buildings my entire life.
True getting a union doorman "fired" from a building may be impossible, but he can be moved elsewhere which from the former's point of view often suffices.

There was a guy who had been at the door of a UES building down the street from us for ages. One day he said or did something that ticked off one of the resident's housekeeper. Turned out the resident was not only on the co-op board but was the head of it. Union building not withstanding the offending doorman was out of there faster than that fat girl from the Citadel military school. While they couldn't get him fired he was sent to another union building.

It is also not unheard of for a building to leave having union persons at their building. That and many new buildings in Manhattan especially below 34th street aren't union at all.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:32 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,487,617 times
It's not only the doormen who hate you btw. There's a seething resentment going on these days, not just by the POOR poor. It's disgusting the fart storm that has blown into this city in the last 5 or 10 year years. It's not the ultra poor that hate these people.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:02 PM

2,138 posts, read 2,156,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
It's not only the doormen who hate you btw. There's a seething resentment going on these days, not just by the POOR poor. It's disgusting the fart storm that has blown into this city in the last 5 or 10 year years. It's not the ultra poor that hate these people.
I agree. It has been happening all over the country the past few years. I lost a few friends recently because of it. You can say they were never friends but one I knew since childhood for ***20 years.

The political climate isn't helping either.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:33 PM

516 posts, read 684,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonelikeacomet View Post
Hi, I'm just looking for advice in regards doorman work... has anyone had a job as a doorman before? What is a good management company to work for, and how does the process usually go? What are the average tips, p/ month?

Also would be interested in some management companies that operate in more luxurious, high end apartments, as tips are more there

Thanks!
my uncle is a 32bj union member and he is in charge of all his delicates nyc office. my advice too u
to head down to there head quarters and dropped of a resume..

also look at these new buildings being built.. look for their companies name.. (usually printed on there boards)

if the building is up and running walk and ask to speak to a super and submit your resume.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:04 AM

64,576 posts, read 66,100,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
If my retirement income runs out before my life's hourglass, I might be asking the same questiion as the OP.
i want to be like carlton from the show rhoda

Old 10-25-2015, 07:16 AM

20,134 posts, read 26,416,255 times
"This is Carlton, your doorman."

In the Summer we hire college kids from the building to fill in for the many doormen vacations and re-paint common property. Probably wiser than running up overtime and nice for the kids too...usually 15 of them for 3 months.
Always nice friendly kids.

That kind of thing might serve as an entrée to a later job, but then who, after a college education, wants to be a doorman?

Last edited by Kefir King; 10-25-2015 at 07:24 AM..

Old 10-25-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
"This is Carlton, your doorman."

In the Summer we hire college kids from the building to fill in for the many doormen vacations and re-paint common property. Probably wiser than running up overtime and nice for the kids too...usually 15 of them for 3 months.
Always nice friendly kids.

That kind of thing might serve as an entrée to a later job, but then who, after a college education, wants to be a doorman?
A year or so ago the NYT did an article on a young white UES or UWS who was either just out of college or something. Whatever the situation he worked as a doorman for one of our white glove UES buildings on Park Avenue. Kicker was the young man was a product of our very best homes; did the whole prep school to Ivy thing.

Any way the young man related how "different" the residents treated the doormen including himself. When one of the male residents (an older man who IIRC worked on Wall Street) mentioned something about a big social event that La Belle Monde attends, the doorman shot back with intimate knowledge of the event. The resident's jaw dropped and quickly wanted to know "how" the young man came upon his information.

Recall now think the guy was only there for the summer as a temp so when his gig was up he left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City