Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 07:49 AM

171 posts, read 304,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
I don't get the defenses put up for saving this major eyesore on a real opportunity.
wait, you don't get the defenses for people trying to save the businesses that their parents and grandparents built? really???
or do you not get the defenses of tradesmen/skilled blue workers that ACTUALLY MAKE A DECENT LIVING being pushed further and further out of the city.
seriously, whats not to get?
and btw, 'eyesore' is a relative term..what you may find repulsive some may find quite beautiful, i for one would give anything to wrestle control of my city back from people like you that given the opportunity would run every last manufacturing job overseas and turn every inch of every last block into overpriced 'mixed use' and 'sustainable' apartment buildings.
stop forcing your agenda on the population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 09:52 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,185,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguard cycle View Post
wait, you don't get the defenses for people trying to save the businesses that their parents and grandparents built? really???
or do you not get the defenses of tradesmen/skilled blue workers that ACTUALLY MAKE A DECENT LIVING being pushed further and further out of the city.
seriously, whats not to get?
and btw, 'eyesore' is a relative term..what you may find repulsive some may find quite beautiful, i for one would give anything to wrestle control of my city back from people like you that given the opportunity would run every last manufacturing job overseas and turn every inch of every last block into overpriced 'mixed use' and 'sustainable' apartment buildings.
stop forcing your agenda on the population.
Don't even bother. The dude has a clear agenda and will not acknowledge what's pointed out to him over and over and over and over and over again. I'm glad we have some rational people on this forum such as yourself though.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:23 PM

its pure insanity, from every stand point but of course those who stand to gain millions/billions in the 'redevelopment' of the point...
and shamelessly on the backs of those who depend on that area to feed their families.
Go somewhere else, plenty of undeveloped and or abandoned areas where nothing but good will come from development, improved infrastructure and huge increases in tax revenues.
Willets Point is NOT one of those areas.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:07 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,755,655 times
He should come to Newark...we could use a person like him , but New York has enough people like him.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:55 PM

4,436 posts, read 7,640,041 times
From the looks of it, it seems clear what is better for the public good!

While I understand the right of people to keep their property, I have to ask some questions:

1. What is the enviornmental impact of those chop shops/auto maintanence spots, with all of that oil, fumes, mud, etc!

2. And even if the city were to put proper sewage systems in place, what would be the cost of maintaining that system(s). In addition to the fact that the city would have to constantly clean those systems out, oil travel through those sewers, could, have environmental effects elsewhere!

3. With that being said, wouldn't it make more sense to make that neighborhood a mixed-use community, where there are various, diverse entities that could boost the economy of the area, such as retail, residential, office space, etc!

This is different from kicking folk out and building a stadium. You have a development which is economically diverse! Unfortunately with the chop shops, while one gets great deals on car maintainence, the lack of economic diversity, in addition to the environmental issues, do hurt the argument in favor keeping the auto shops!

Old 05-11-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
2. And even if the city were to put proper sewage systems in place, what would be the cost of maintaining that system(s). In addition to the fact that the city would have to constantly clean those systems out, oil travel through those sewers, could, have environmental effects elsewhere!
funny, they have been paying taxes, which cover sewer costs, yet never actually had city sewer service.
besides, do you think auto shops dump their used oil down the drain?
i have a small, mostly mc related shop, we barely deal with any amount of used oil and even we have someone come get our oil.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:39 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,185,213 times
Quote:
While I understand the right of people to keep their property

Not so sure you do buddy...

Old 05-12-2012, 02:49 AM

194 posts, read 1,198,701 times
The funny part of this is I agreed with the OP when I started reading. I am sick of looking at that mess over there behind Citi Field. But like others have said, they have every right to be where they are. The city should have bought them out when or before Shea was built if they don't like it, or put Citi Field somewhere else. I'm all for a place to get a decent priced beer before I go into the stadium but I don't want to see it attached to some Bloomberg and henchmen collaboration. If independent developers want to buy out these folks then so be it. I could even see if they moved them to some space where Flushing Airport used to be if theres enough land that will stay dry 365 days a year, but not to see some craptastic upperclass condos with a starbucks and a pinkberry underneath.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:35 AM

The lack of economic diversity and the environmental negativity of the auto repair shops make it clear what's better for the public good!

The community in the 1960s known as Radio Row, which got torn down in favor of the old World Trade Center, had a better argument for keeping their radio stores than the Willets Point auto shop merchants!

Old 05-12-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
The lack of economic diversity and the environmental negativity of the auto repair shops make it clear what's better for the public good!

The community in the 1960s known as Radio Row, which got torn down in favor of the old World Trade Center, had a better argument for keeping their radio stores than the Willets Point auto shop merchants!
I meant "environmental liabilities"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City