U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-12-2012, 09:01 AM
 
1,567 posts, read 2,693,857 times
Reputation: 1262

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
From the looks of it, it seems clear what is better for the public good!

While I understand the right of people to keep their property, I have to ask some questions:

1. What is the enviornmental impact of those chop shops/auto maintanence spots, with all of that oil, fumes, mud, etc!

2. And even if the city were to put proper sewage systems in place, what would be the cost of maintaining that system(s). In addition to the fact that the city would have to constantly clean those systems out, oil travel through those sewers, could, have environmental effects elsewhere!

3. With that being said, wouldn't it make more sense to make that neighborhood a mixed-use community, where there are various, diverse entities that could boost the economy of the area, such as retail, residential, office space, etc!

This is different from kicking folk out and building a stadium. You have a development which is economically diverse! Unfortunately with the chop shops, while one gets great deals on car maintainence, the lack of economic diversity, in addition to the environmental issues, do hurt the argument in favor keeping the auto shops!
the environmental effects would be exactly the same as if those shops were elsewhere
your argument holds zero water and stealing people's property is disgraceful

of course you either own nothing, or if you did would throw a **** fit if someone tried to steal it from you
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-12-2012, 09:13 AM
 
1,567 posts, read 2,693,857 times
Reputation: 1262
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
The lack of economic diversity and the environmental negativity of the auto repair shops make it clear what's better for the public good!

The community in the 1960s known as Radio Row, which got torn down in favor of the old World Trade Center, had a better argument for keeping their radio stores than the Willets Point auto shop merchants!
and they should have kept them
the "public good" is people being able to keep their own property and run the businesses they have built
the public good is not telling people sorry I know you own this and have a business and client base but GTFO

If these scumbag developers want the property so bad then pay up

Somebody's land and property is worth what they are willing to sell it for and someone is willing to pay- not what the government says they have to take

Pay them enough money if you want them to leave so bad
If they don't accept your offer then your offer is too low, and you're stealing from them by kicking them out and giving them some low ball amount of money

The "public good" argument is pure nonsense
None of these people give two ****s about the public good- they care about turning a profit and a good way to do that is forcing people to sell their property at below market rate.I would be a business and real estate guru if I could just go around and force people to take my offers on their businesses and properties. If these people gave a crap about the public good they would be taking their own money and rehabbing ****ty neighborhoods and buildings to be nice. But they don't-they only care about their own bottom line.I actually have no problem with that but don't call it something that its not.And don't justify stealing from people.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 09:24 AM
 
4,911 posts, read 6,827,084 times
Reputation: 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
the environmental effects would be exactly the same as if those shops were elsewhere
your argument holds zero water and stealing people's property is disgraceful

of course you either own nothing, or if you did would throw a **** fit if someone tried to steal it from you
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
and they should have kept them
the "public good" is people being able to keep their own property and run the businesses they have built
the public good is not telling people sorry I know you own this and have a business and client base but GTFO

If these scumbag developers want the property so bad then pay up

Somebody's land and property is worth what they are willing to sell it for and someone is willing to pay- not what the government says they have to take

Pay them enough money if you want them to leave so bad
If they don't accept your offer then your offer is too low, and you're stealing from them by kicking them out and giving them some low ball amount of money

The "public good" argument is pure nonsense
None of these people give two ****s about the public good- they care about turning a profit and a good way to do that is forcing people to sell their property at below market rate.I would be a business and real estate guru if I could just go around and force people to take my offers on their businesses and properties. If these people gave a crap about the public good they would be taking their own money and rehabbing ****ty neighborhoods and buildings to be nice. But they don't-they only care about their own bottom line.I actually have no problem with that but don't call it something that its not.And don't justify stealing from people.



"I'm gonna go ahead and disregard everything you said. What it comes down to is the fact that the government knows what is best for the "people" at all times, no questions asked. Lol at people who have owned property there for many decades."


- City-Data nannies
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 09:27 AM
 
Location: BK
171 posts, read 254,709 times
Reputation: 97
here here Bxlefty23!
especially to this part...
"Somebody's land and property is worth what they are willing to sell it for and someone is willing to pay- not what the government says they have to take"
best post in this entire thread
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Bronx, New York
3,069 posts, read 6,142,475 times
Reputation: 1229
A business community with limited economic benefit to the public, which is also an environmental liability, versus a development which is economically diverse and has multiple benefits to the public. It's a slam dunk! We'll agree to disagree on this one!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 08:46 PM
 
4,911 posts, read 6,827,084 times
Reputation: 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
A business community with limited economic benefit to the public, which is also an environmental liability, versus a development which is economically diverse and has multiple benefits to the public. It's a slam dunk! We'll agree to disagree on this one!

Let's go ahead and not address the single most important issue that everyone keeps going on about! And then type some more exclamation points!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Bronx, New York
3,069 posts, read 6,142,475 times
Reputation: 1229
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Let's go ahead and not address the single most important issue that everyone keeps going on about! And then type some more exclamation points!!
FYI, I do own property! It is residential. Oh, yeah, the property does NOT negatively affect the environment!

My point has not been addressed one bit, either! My understanding is that these businesses WILL be compensated! The businesses don't want compensation! They want to stay where they are, and keep things the way they are! Staying and keeping things the way they are is bad for the public!

Somebody said it, before: Willets Point is an industrial dump. Add to that declining auto usage! 20-30 years from now, with less and less people using automobiles, how many of those multi-generation businesses are gonna be left?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 09:48 PM
 
10,630 posts, read 20,764,898 times
Reputation: 8155
I don't believe these businesses are multi-generational. If they are, why would they need Spanish translators at the City's hearings?

The lawyer for the WPU is claiming the city is harassing the business owners and violating their civil rights by not providing Spanish translators. I can't imagine how any business owner who has been here more than one generation would need a translator.

City drops bid to condemn property at Willets Point: Lawyer • TimesLedger
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 10:00 PM
 
4,911 posts, read 6,827,084 times
Reputation: 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
FYI, I do own property! It is residential. Oh, yeah, the property does NOT negatively affect the environment!

My point has not been addressed one bit, either! My understanding is that these businesses WILL be compensated! The businesses don't want compensation! They want to stay where they are, and keep things the way they are! Staying and keeping things the way they are is bad for the public!

Somebody said it, before: Willets Point is an industrial dump. Add to that declining auto usage! 20-30 years from now, with less and less people using automobiles, how many of those multi-generation businesses are gonna be left?
As has already been pointed out to you, if your property was being threatened against your will, you'd be whining like a little beotch!

As has also been pointed out to you, their property is worth as much as they care to price it at! It's obviously more valuable to them than the city's offer!

Maybe if the city gave them the services they have been paying taxes for for decades now, it wouldn't look like an "industrial dump"! Maybe the city should have maintained the area like every other tax paying district! You sure do come off like a self-righteous douche trying to tell people they need to pack up and get out because of your perception that their services are not necessary! And on top of that, you realize it's not only autobody shops right?!








































!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 10:07 PM
 
4,911 posts, read 6,827,084 times
Reputation: 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I don't believe these businesses are multi-generational. If they are, why would they need Spanish translators at the City's hearings?

The lawyer for the WPU is claiming the city is harassing the business owners and violating their civil rights by not providing Spanish translators. I can't imagine how any business owner who has been here more than one generation would need a translator.

City drops bid to condemn property at Willets Point: Lawyer TimesLedger


Interesting turn of events. Glad to see that. Although the city will try again, as it states.

And they're not all only Spanish speaking property owners. Some of them are though. That said, you'd be surprised how little English people learn in this city over generations, which I take issue with in itself I'll be the first to admit.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top